Tripadvisor
Thorlakshofn

“Best meal of our Iceland visit. ”
Review of Hendur i hofn

Hendur i hofn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Thorlakshofn
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

Highly recommended a detour to visit this restaurant in a local fishing village. The menu was really varied, accommodating allergies easily too. The meal was sensational, such fresh fish perfectly cooked and my partners sandwich as big as his head practically, with wonderful fresh bread. Loved all the local ingredients and the cafe decor is so charming. Try to leave space for cake!!!

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (119)

Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

My aunt, sister and I were just passing by on a road trip during our stay in Iceland (we’re from the USA). We wanted to see black sand beaches and the area happened to be the closest beach given our time crunch. It was honestly a quick “I’m starving moment” and the first place to pop up on the list. Once we drove up and walked in, were so happy it was the top of the list. It’s a cute little cafe with cute decor. The staff greeted us with smiles and asked if we had any questions about the menu. The menu selection was a little on the sparse side but we were hungry. My sister ordered the happy cheeseburger while my aunt ordered the happy turkey sandwich with a side of fries to share. OMG was it delicious! My only regret is that I wish I ordered some coffee and dessert to go. Great place to stop at and wish I had one in the USA to visit.

Reviewed March 16, 2019 via mobile

We came across this little bistro purely by chance on our way back to the airport from out Iceland holidays, visiting from the UK. We pulled over more so because we needed a toilet break than any food, But decided to grab a bite as the menu looked tempting. I had the Parma ham, Parmesan, melon sandwich - with honey mustard and balsamic dressing. It might have been the fact I’d been eating a lot of cuppa soups and packet noodles that week, but I felt it really was the best sandwich I’d had in Iceland. The bread was thick, soft with a crunchy crust - all the ingredients were fresh, salad leaves were crisp and dressing delicious. Words cannot describe the pure joy I felt, whilst demolishing this brilliant butty, on the bumpy snowy road back to the airport...

Reviewed March 3, 2019 via mobile

We were two and we had a 3 course menu. Everything was perfectly made, both tasty and beautifully prepared. We would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Iceland. One of the best fish we ever tasted. Staff was also really nice and helpful.

We had: soup of the day, salat of the day, 2x fish of the day and then both chocolate cake and the coco-passion cake.

Reviewed February 26, 2019 via mobile

We had coffe with cakes during our visit. Lovely, giant freshly made cakes! Great athmosphere with old styled tableware. Very friendly staff. Price is fair for icelandic standards.

Date of visit: February 2019