“Problems with the Doubletree”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Hartford - Bradley Airport
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
Reviewed July 11, 2007

My travel agent booked me into the Doubletree after my evening flight cancelled on July 11. I am a HiltonHonors member, and have stayed at Doubletree hotels before, but not this particular one.

One simple rule for an airport hotel is that the shuttle service must be reliable. This is a big factor for airport hotels. I had opted to check into the hotel first before returning my rental car. The check-in process went smoothly, and the gentleman at the front desk assured me that the shuttle would pick me up at the rental car lot so that I didn't have to take the Avis shuttle to the airport. Well, I guess this was just too confusing for the shuttle driver, because after calling three times and waiting in the rain, I decided just to walk to the hotel from the Avis lot. Not a bad walk, but it was raining and there are no sidewalks, so it was a bit scary. I was glad that I had not worn high heels that day.

Because my flight had been cancelled for my return flight home, I had no clean clothes to change into, so I went to the hotel restaurant soggy to try and get dinner. I did not opt for room service since I thought it would be quicker to eat in the pub/lounge. They had one person, the bartender, on duty. I have to commend him, he absolutely worked his tail off. When I walked into the lounge, there were only a dozen people, so I decided to try dinner. By the time I left, over 30 people were in the bar (many other flights had cancelled also). He did the best he could, but it took well over an hour for a one course dinner (fish and chips, which were very good).

The room itself was OK. The bathroom is tiny. They do have very nice Neutrogena amenities, including face wash, which is a very nice touch for the ladies. The airconditioning was not very good.

The workout room was small. The equipment worked OK (I used the bike and stairmaster). I cannot understand why hotels ccontinue to buy Star Trek equipment.

Upon departure, I asked the front desk again about the shuttles to the airport. I was told again that they run every half hour. I arrived downstairs at 7:15, plenty of time for the 7:30 shuttle. When a shuttle pulled up, I went outside with the others waiting and gave the driver my luggage. We left at 7:35 (I had a 9:00 flight, plenty of time for a small airport). Well, was I surprised when we drove the wrong direction and ended up taking a group to a seminar at a local business. I was in tears. Then the driver told me he'd have to take me back to the hotel for another shuttle since he wasn't permitted onto the airport. By the time I got on the second shuttle, it was 8:00.

I did make my flight, but again, I have to emphasize that one thing an airport hotel must get right is the shuttles. That's why people stay at airport hotels. At other airport hotels, they announce that they're going to the airport and then the driver double checks to make sure airlines, etc. Since everyone boarding the shuttle had luggage, and the shuttle left at 7:30, how was I supposed to know it wasn't the airport shuttle?

At $179/night, I expect better service from a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Nittany&Fargo
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Hartford - Bradley Airport

Reviewed May 29, 2007

I have stayed at other Doubletrees in the past and loved the comfortable beds and down comforter and pillows.
This one had regular pillows and I was very disapointed. The bed was no where as nice as the others. I know it might not seem like a big deal, but I was very disapointed.
Everything else was fine. People were nice, shuttle on time, bar/restaurant was good.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kitty65
Reviewed March 2, 2007

Checked out at 5am and took their free shuttle to the airport. Our 7am flight was moved to 4pm. Rather than stay 9 hours in the airport, we called Doubletree Hotel and asked if we could check back into our room until noon. They happily accomodated us, even letting us stay an extra hour (until 1pm). That extra sleep in a clean bed rather than staying in the airport was a big prize. Service was great and we would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Avalonavalon
Reviewed July 31, 2006

Doubletree Inn – Bradley Airport Hartford

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights while on a business trip. I found check-in to be fast and simple, the bed was comfortable and clean (King Room), the bathroom was small, but clean. The USA Today was left outside the door each morning. There were some minor wear issues in the room on the furniture. Having never stayed in a Doubletree before I can not compare it to others in the chain, but it was equal to Marriott’s and Radisson’s that I have stayed. Room Service was friendly, fast, and good. I didn’t like the fact that they charge extra for high-speed Internet access in the rooms. I have not seen it charged for in other areas. Also the hallways, lobby, meeting rooms and other public areas were very warm. On the between the second and third nights, all guests were locked out of their rooms until they went to the front desk and got the door key reprogrammed to work properly. As for the famous cookies, I was never offered or saw one of the cookies. Basically, this wasn’t a bad place; it just wasn’t what you would expect from this type of hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank hby
A TripAdvisor Member
Charleston SC
Reviewed June 21, 2006

I have read hundreds of reviews but this is my first post. Booked a 2-night stay and online (Hilton Diamond member) asked for a room away from elevator. Got a room across from the elevator. The window was wide open (no screens) and the A/C was weak. Stains on carpets and dingy throughout. Internet is $10 / night (only Doubletree I have ever seen charge). No USA Today in the AM, terrible breakfast buffett. I was going to check out but GM asked me to take a different room with a voucher for a free night. Re-checked in to find wide open window in different room and a loud bunch of neighbors swearing and partying. I gave them back their warm Doubletree cookie and went ot the Hampton Inn down the street. 6 employess now work there after coming from Doubletree. The gal that checked me in said she was tired of feeling like a punching bag working at the Doubletree. Just because they hang up a Doubletree sign, don't be fooled.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2006

I stayed there yesterday night and it was terrible. I was supposed to stay at Homewood Suites, but they had a water problem, so I was sent to DoubleTree.
Instead of a suite at Homewood, I was only given a regular king bed.
The furniture is dated : it would need a couple of layers of paint because there are scratches on the nightstands. The carpet was dirty and had holes in it.
The bathroom was not clean: the maids would need some classes. The tub is updated and damaged.The bathroom is the smallest I've ever seen.
The AC is noisy.
The pool is disgusting. I wonder if they've ever cleaned it.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank First_time_in_Venice
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Arrived late and was well received. Hotel is a bit worn and the room was not as clean as I had hoped for. There was no remote control in the room (?) and no climate control device. The room got very warm and there was no way to control the air. The bed and pillows were wonderful. Overall, if you get this hotel thru Priceline, it's a decent value.

Stayed: July 2005