“Charges what they want and when they want”

Candlewood Suites Windsor Locks
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
Hartford, Connecticut
“Charges what they want and when they want”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

If you dont want to see surprise charges on your credit card, you'll want to skip this hotel.
We unfortunately stayed for many months at this hotel. Where to start. Biggest problem is after some months of charging us weekly and giving us a reciept for those charges, they decided to just start charging when and what they wanted. We had no idea until we got our credit card statement. Charged us for a week and then charged us 2 days later for another week without our knowledge. Reciepts they were giving us did not match the charges they were putting on our credit card. You think when you get a detailed reciept of charges and days on paper that thats whats being charged? Well not at this place. I'd keep close eye on your credit card charges if you make the mistake of giving this hotel your card.
Not related to this disaster the hotel is marginal. Everyone is freindly except the on staff manager. She was not freindly the day I looked at the room and held true all the way til we checked out. Let me ad, if your a non smoker, go to another hotel also. I was on a non smoking floor and so many times there was smoke coming in from the hall of those who were smoking in there non smoking rooms. The hotels answer to this was spraying
air freshner in the hall and not confronting the guests who were smoking. Housekeeping does not always vacuum there rooms. When they didnt I would go ask to borrow a vacuum and do it myself. Not a big deal, but I'd think vacuuming a room would be "housekeeping 101". We changed rooms at least twice when checking in because of refrigerators that could wake the dead. We finally got tired of changing and learned to leave the tv on so's not to hear the frig and AC.
Maybe a night or 2 is tolerable but if your going to stay for longer and want to be sure what your TOLD your being charged is the same as what your actually BEING charged, avoid this Candlewood.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dee W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Windsor Locks, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Dee W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. My sincerest apology for the issues you experienced in our hotel. I would love to have the chance to regain your trust in our hotel and would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional information regarding your stay.

Mia R.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Amazing quality of hotel. Great for minimal service though Great Front desk service. Fantastic location across from Bradley Hartsfield Airport and the rental car and long term park and fly spots. Also Airport shuttle great plus. Rooms were large and immaculately clean.Stayed in 305 and it was a large Queen suite room.

Great Stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
J C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Windsor Locks, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that your enjoyed your stay and that our location was convenient for you . We hope to see you in the near future. Thank you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 29, 2011

the bed was so bad went home with a bad back wanted to leave early no room cleaning daily not enough of choices for breakfast the stove didnt work bad .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Windsor Locks, CT
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I needed a hotel for an extended stay and found Candlewood to be the perfect location, clean rooms, and a very friendly and efficient staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I had such a pleasant stay at this hotel. Front desk staff was very polite and helpful. The minute I walked into the room it smell fresh and cleaned love the set up of the room it was very comfortable I stayed for 15 nights the first time housekeeping went to service my room housekeeper was very friendly and did a awesome job. I would recommened this hotel it is very accomodating.

• Stayed August 2011
Birmingham, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel is far worse than you would ever think. My mother and had to stay there for over a month due to her job and we chose this hotel because of its pet friendly policy, or so we thought. The first couple of weeks were okay, except the cupboard they have here, they gave us seven little coupons and didn't say anything except that we could spend them in the cupboard and that they were not exchangable for cash, the receptionist never once mentioned that we were really supposed to use one a day for the first seven days we were in this hotel. Beyond that, the items you can purchase in the hotel's cupboard are severely over priced, they sell feminine supplies, individually, that the general manager has priced at $1.25! The first couple of weeks, the housekeeper came in and did what she was supposed to do she was very friendly and didn't complain about anything and did a good job, but the week after that, I got a different housekeeper who was very impolite, halfway made the bed, refused to bring back the blankets that we had in the room, she did scrub the toilet, but she went down to her buddy, the head housekeeper, which is also Hispanic, and told her I refused to let her clean the room! The week after that, another house keeper did the same thing, actually less, and went back and told her buddy the same thing the other one did, that I refused to even let her in!! Outraged I called downstairs and I get hung up on because I caught housekeeping in a lie. The staff has poor communication skills and are just rude all together. There was one girl on staff that was fairly nice and I do appreciate her help. They shouldn't advertise that they're pet friendly when they really aren't! Maybe they just figured they could take advantage of us because were southern, I honestly don't know if that's the case, but that's the way it felt. Believe me, I will never stay here again!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel period!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
fairhope, al
Reviewed August 3, 2011

There are rats outside living in the shrub under the guest laundry window that dive the garbage cans by the front door. Low flying aircraft pass over the parking lot in their landing approach to Hartford International. Emphasize: LOW! This hotel has running water (hot & cold), electricity, and television. Once a week, someone goes in your room and empties the garbage and replaces the towels. When it becomes necessary to visit the front desk to request "once a week" housekeeping, customer service has deteriorated to the point of addressing the issues with the corporate office. I requested a room change due to a neighboring dog but all I got was fleas. Lastly, the beds are so uncomfortable and lack mattress pads.

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business