“A mighty fine place with a formidable steak!”
Review of Bar Shade Grill

Bar Shade Grill
Ranked #31 of 55 Restaurants in Windsor Locks
Cuisines: American, Bar
Gilbert, Arizona
“A mighty fine place with a formidable steak!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Attached to the Doubletree Hotel, this is a nice little place to enjoy some refreshments or have a bite to eat. Came here at night with my crew for some food and beverages, and had a great experience. They have a decent beer list- nothing exceptional, but definitely something for everyone. Bud/Miller/Coors Lite kinda night? They've got you covered. Want something with a bit of personality, like a Dogfish Head 60 IPA? Done and DONE. They have a nice long martini list as well if you feel like raising a pinkie and getting fancy.

Their food is good. It's damned good, actually. I ordered the scallops appetizer and the seared tuna appetizer. Both were damned fine. Not amazing, but damned fine. The scallops were a little small and overcooked, and the sauce was too heavy for scallops, but I wasn't really *disappointed*, I just would have done things differently. The tuna was really nice, with a great crust of goma.

The next morning (while recovering from the beers I'd slaughtered the night before) I ordered myself a Ribeye in order to celebrate the Easter holiday. Now, this meal gets the restaurant an extra star by itself. It was FANTASTIC. I asked for medium rare, they gave me EXACTLY medium rare. Perfectly marbled and still on the bone, with flavor for days. The mashed potatoes were excellent- still just a LITTLE bit of skin on 'em, the way that I like it. And the vegetable medley was exactly that- it was a jubilee celebration of vitamins and minerals consisting of squash, carrots, onion, and several other veggies. Definitely NOT one of those limpid little affairs that you see at most places. This was a GREAT hangover meal, and honestly it just knocked me back on track to tackle the rest of my day.

When I'm in the area, I definitely look forward to eating here again!

Visited April 2014

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Better than Most Hotel Restaurants”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Shade Grill is better than many hotel restaurants, which are notorious for being overpriced for average quality. I found the food to be good and the price fair for what you get. I ordered the black and blue scallops as my entrée - they were quite good (although one scallop was underdone) and the cream sauce was flavorful and not too heavy.

I ordered a glass of Zinfandel at the bar on two evenings during my stay - it was one of a handful of red wines listed on their bar menu. The second night, the bartender brought me a White Zinfandel. When I explained that I had ordered a Zinfandel, she said that what she had poured. Everyone has an off night, but she was annoyed with me for not ordering the wine she had poured and made me feel bad when she dumped it to pour me the right wine.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Rude Bartender”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

The bar has a nice atmosphere but was spoiled by the bartender with first initial L. She seems liked she hated her job and refused to acknowledge us Multiple times . Food was good but could have been a lot better if we encounter a friendly face after a long day.

Visited March 2014
Guilford, Connecticut
“Good Hotel Restaurant”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We recently ate at Shade while staying at the Doubletree before our flight to Florida. My husband and I really enjoyed our meals. My chicken avacado bacon sandwich was really good and my husband enjoyed his reuben as well. We also loved the free happy hour nachos. We would definitely eat here again, if we are in the area.

• Visited January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Tasty”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The atmosphere in Shade is hotel bar cool. The bartenders were friendly and efficient. The beer selection was nice for a hotel bar. The pub grub was surprisingly good! My chicken Caesar salad was just what I needed after a full day of traveling. I recommend Shade.

Visited November 2013