“Happy Customer” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
Dallas, Texas
“Happy Customer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a convention for 6 days. This is an older hotel that is being brought back to life. There is still some work going on but the cost of the stay is very low. The general condition of my room was clean. Fresh linen, comfortable bed and lots of room to move around. The bathroom fixtures were dated but clean. There were lots of drawers and space to hang clothes. I had a refrigerator and microwave both appeared to be new and were in excellent working order. Our group had the entire hotel and yes we were loud and crazy. The pool area looked lovely however I didn't see it used very much. If you're looking for lots of room this hotel is very spacious. All the carpeting in the public area looked new or well cleaned. The staff was friendly and willing to accommodate requests. They asked for suggested improvements and invited the guests to come to them with complaints. When they are done renovating and adding the spit and polish to this facility I'm sure the rates will be increased as it should be. Loved staying there and looking forward to going back again next year.

2 Thank nsusko
Ty C, Manager at Travelodge Bradley Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
nsusko - Thank you for your 4 Star Review. We truly enjoyed the face painting group. Hope to see you next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Warren, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I first want to mention, some people that are leaving remarks, the things they are complaining about have nothing to do with the hotel.
1. Breakfast, I contracted with the hotel to have a cheaper breakfast, so that we could get a reduced stay rate. I also asked that we eat in a different room, so as not to disturb other guests and hog all of the tables. The hotel gave us a smaller quick breakfast, because we were offered a delicious lunch every day that could be purchased. He did offer things that were not supposed to be there on the last two days, eggs and biscuits and gravy. He did this on his own as a thank you to us for being there.
2. The trees seperating the convention room, was a joint decision. As the convention organizer I decided to try it, instead of having to rent a $2000.00 wall to seperate the rooms.
3. Noise?? It's a face painting convention. People stay up until 4am. We ask that attendees bring earplugs if they need the required 9 hours of sleep. I think you find the same at any convention.
4. I also do not find it rude for them to call you by your first names. You have name tags on, I asked them to be personable instead of stuffy. I even had them change out of their suits, to fit in more.
This hotel is renovating and just starting out as a convention/conference area. I believe they went out of their way for my convention. They offered every room available to use as teaching space, they even opened up suites to my instructors to teach in for no cost. When there was a complaint about not enough refrigerators and toasters they went and bought them. They heard we wanted mixed drinks and went and bought blenders. They even offered a $5 lunch on the last day to accomodate those that were travelling.
If someone is to complain about no towels or their rooms not being clean, trip advisor is the wrong place to complain about it. You should have went to the front desk and said something. They would have corrected it. Same thing with rooms that needed cleaning. They were more than happy to make up rooms.
Instead of complaining about the hotel, let's complain about the convention attendees that left their food, popped balloons, and junk all over, expecting people to clean up after them. Let's complain about the people that tried to take the system by overloading hotel rooms with more than 4 people because they thought $50 a night was expensive. No matter what, everyone will never be happy.
The convention rooms were spacious. The lounge areas were many and very inviting. The pool was nice and refreshing. They picked my convention attendees up at the airport and the train station, wihtout charging them a dime! They offered us a full bar and snacks nightly!

The manager and other hotel employees bent over backwards for the most part. Yes, there were bumps, but 90% were worked out as soon as they could be.

People need to decide to they want to pay $100 a night or less. For most, they spend very little time in their room, so this hotel was more than adequate! Next year they will even be better with all of the renovations they are undertaking. I look forward to hosting my convention at the Hillspoint again in 2015.

2 Thank KimHatch
Kim- Thank you so much for posting your review. We had a great time hosting your event. We look forward to doing it again next year. See you then!
BRIDGEWATER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here for a convention attended by about 150 people and some family members. The hotel is dated, but trying to get the furnishings up to date.

Staff was accommodating and pleasant. All requests were met as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Sliders from the rooms open to the parking lot on the ground level. Makes bringing the bags in and...
1 Thank skey1952
Skey1952 - Thank you for your 4 Star Review! We look forward to seeing you and the entire face painting group again in 2015.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

My experience here has been nothing short of really great. I'm a registered nurse, staying at Hillspoint, while on contract assignment in Hartford.
Overall, for the price point, what you can expect to receive, is an older hotel, a spacious, clean room with some updates (The hotel is remodeling), a nice lobby, indoor pool, and breakfast area, great location, and excellent staff. The indoor pool is very clean and has a nice area to sit and watch your children swim. The lobby, breakfast lounge, and business center are centrally located and have been nicely updated for a more modern feel. The location is safe and secure, with front desk staff available 24 hours a day. The ballroom is expansive.
Rooms: The rooms are adequate in appearance. While the bedspread and pillows do need to be updated with natural, hypoallergenic fabric comforters and pillows, the linens and bed are CLEAN, firm and comfortable. The towels are the same as what you would find at a Fairfield or Hampton Inn, or LaQuinta. My bed does NOT smell funny or in any way make me think “grungy“. I do NOT do "grungy". The lighting is okay, I'm sure there are plans to update that too, but again, for the price point, really not a big deal. The furniture is in good repair. Wide selection of t.v. programming.Perhaps there will be a flat screen T.V. in my room, once the box one breaks. But the picture is fine. I don't watch much tv, so this isn't a major issue for me. I know some of the rooms have flat screens, so request one if that's important to you. My room is equipped with a sofa (sofabed), desk, chair, chest, two nightstands, coffee table and bed.
The walls can be a little thin when there is a large group here, but overall, this is a quiet hotel. I have to have quiet, as I'm up 4am every morning for work. The heating/cooling unit is noticeable, but not enough to be a bother. The room is overall sufficiently quiet and warm and pleasant.
Cleanliness: Perhaps my only complaint would be that the furniture dusting and bathroom mopping needs to be more thorough. As to vacuuming, my floor appears very clean, and I have my Golden/black lab mix with me. He sheds like crazy. Not only do they vacuum my room daily, they are constantly vacuuming, sweeping and mopping the common areas all the time. I have been here since December, I have NEVER seen vermin, rodents, nor bugs of any kind anywhere in my room, around the hotel or in the common areas. Very clean.
The bathroom is remodeled with quartz or granite counter top and flooring. The water pressure in the shower is the best I've ever had in a hotel, and I've stayed regularly in Four Seasons Hotels throughout my life, while on vacation. Hillspoint has the better water pressure. As to the bathroom paper holder location mentioned in another review, in my opinion, I think it is conveniently placed. People need to think outside the box and be less rigid over something trivial.
Breakfast is very good; generally there is a good selection to choose from and and the menu changes somewhat from day to day.
I would call it an extended continental breakfast selection, with one or two hot options depending on the day. I think the complimentary coffee is very good, and is available all day, along with hot chocolate and tea selections. There is a small sundry shop next to the front desk for basic sodas and snacks.
Location is great, just off the interstate. It usually takes me 15 minutes to drive into Hartford in the morning and about 25 minutes back in afternoon traffic.
Service. This is where they truly shine. Jen, Amy, Phyllis, Kevin, Mitch, and Jim. The housekeeping team, the breakfast staff, the maintenance people. ALL of them go waaaay above and beyond. If you are not satisfied here, and have a reasonable request or complaint, let these people know; give them a chance to address it, and correct it, because that's how great their attitudes are. Often, I am on call for my job. Countless times, I've been stuck at the hospital, and upon request, the staff will provide a walk and care for my dog. They are an enormous help for my dog until I can get back to the hotel. When I thank them, they ALWAYS let me know it is no problem and they are happy to help. Mitch and Jim are great. If I need a dinner reservation, Mitch takes care of it. Jim makes sure I have airport shuttle service anytime I need it to and from the hotel. I think I'm very lucky to have chosen this hotel over all the others in the same price range in this area. I think it is an excellent value for the dollar. It isn't the newest, or a five-star hotel, but it certainly exceeds expectation in consideration of the nightly rate, and far exceeds expectation on service and the quality of the management and employees. I will choose to stay here over any other hotel in this price range in this area with the same amenities, plus, none of the other comparable hotels have an indoor pool. This is a very good choice for a low cost.
Thanks for everything Hillspoint Hotel and Conferences. Great Job!

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Mandy B
Mandy B - Thank you for your most excellent review. We truly appreciate your feedback.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a convention recently, and it was not worth the money spent. I booked my trip for 5 days. In those 5 days my room had it's towels changed twice, and trash partly removed once. I say partly because they never vacuumed the room, there was a very large black spider in the corner of my room by the sliding glass door, that I left alone since I felt that complaining would account for nothing as I had already had the manger belittle me and be rude when I asked why the convention attendees had to eat in a separate room with almost no heat and only eat the junk food they had for us while the rest of the hotel guests could use the self serve waffle iron, have hash browns, French toast sticks and other items and be allowed to eat in the heated dining area.

I just wanted a hash brown because they were out of corn flakes and I have dietary restrictions. I was told that our convention rate did not cover eating the hot food. So basically a hash brown or making yourself a waffle(not that I could eat it) costs the hotel 30 dollars per day. Because that was the convention rate. It hate when people read my convention name tag and use my first name in a condescending manner, it is disprescectful. He did not apologize once during my entire stay. You do not tell a person they are being ridicules in a customer service setting, more so over requirements due to health issues.

Our convention was supposed to have separate rooms for all the training and demo panels, "2" of our rooms was one big room with 3 fake potted plants serving as a wall devider, meaning both classes instructors had to yell over each other.

They most insulting fact was other then a "we will talk to house keeping in the future" they did nothing to make my stay right, while one of the other women at the convention had the same issue of their room not being taken care of and they discounted her stay and apologized repeatedly to her.
There is a motel 6 that is 36.98 a night and is cleaner, I would advise staying there, unless you like having to use to same damp towels and dirty wash clothes over and over when sharing the room with another person.

Room Tip: Stay anyplace but here
1 Thank AWanderingartist
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I was here for a convention. The public areas were fine, but the room was awful.
Dirty and torn carpet; radiator was falling off the wall and made loud rattling sound; the bedspread was ancient and dirty looking; wallpaper was peeling; towels thin; blanket holey; housekeeping was not thorough - trash can not emptied one day, some towels missing the next and the lamp base and night table were filthy. bedding smelled bad; pillow lumpy; walls thin - we needed earplugs to sleep. If I had a black light that showed body fluids, I am afraid what the results would show.

If I attend this conference again I will stay elsewhere - there are many other hotels nearby.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bhappy50
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel was filthy and horrible. It was noisy and the room, sheets and towels all smelled bad. The room felt like there was a layer or film of dirt on everything. The halls were not vacuumed and it was just not a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: I have no tips for travelers - except choose the other options closer to the airport.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ty C, Manager at Travelodge Bradley Airport, responded to this review, January 22, 2014