Sukorn Andaman Beach Resort(Palian)(Great Value!)
$19
Agoda.com
$23
$24
$36
Libong Beach Resort(Ko Libong)(Great Value!)
$21
  • Restaurant
Wattana Hotel(Trang)(Great Value!)
$31
$22
All reviewssukorn beach bungalowsko sukornwonderful experiencespent dayslong taildeedickresortislandsealocalsparadisepierdegreessaltybehaviourdeluxe
Reviewed December 4, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed one week at Yataa resort ( New name) in ko sukorn. We Just loved the resort, of many reasons; Nice and clean bungalows/villas ( there is a mix of New and old ones, the oldest are nearly on the beach, With beautiful sea view, but several of the newer also have sea view. The bungalows are being cleaned every Day, With fresh towels and water every Day. There is aircon. The location of the resort is beautiful, in front of a quite deserted beach where you have most of the beach all by your self since there are very few tourists. It is very quiet, and peaceful. The resort has also a beautiful garden and a nice pool. We loved the restaurant, great food and we had all our meals there since there are not many nice restaurants to find in ko sukorn. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only problem was some lack of English knowledge among the staff which could lead to some misunderstandings, but they really did their best to give us a great stay. The staff organized boat trips for us and we rented bikes to explore the island. We loved the island since there were very few tourists and you could experience the daily life of the locals. It is also a very peaceful and quiet island. If you seek a quiet and peaceful place, which is not destroyed by mass tourism, ko sukorn and yataa resort is a paradise. I would love to go back.

Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vibeke75
Reviewed December 24, 2015

We had a great time at this place and will definitely come back. Sukorn is still a genuine island without mass tourism, which was exactly what we were looking for to get down in gear.
I will highlight the staff as the best thing about the resort. They were amazingly friendly and really helpful.
Our bungalow had seaview, with double doors directly to the beach, providing an excellent view of the ocean. I think almost all the bungalows have seaview. The bungalow had everything you need, and a great look and feel.
The food in the restaurant is good and fresh, and many of the vegetables and meats are local. Sukorn has many fishermen, and at the resort they serve fresh local fish in the evening.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2015

Sukorn Beach Bungalows are no more… the place so many of us knew and loved is now The Yataa Island Resort and Dick and Dee have left the buildings.
For many years there was a half-built but derelict resort next door. Last year this was bought and rebuilt by a small company which owns another Yataa Resort in Trat and they have also now taken over Sukorn Beach Bungalows. Currently, the bungalows of the new resort are being used, but there is no admin block or restaurant yet, I suspect that these will appear in time and then the old buildings in the original bungalows will be demolished. There is a cheap looking new swimming pool with rickety steps and a peeling wooden surround that I never saw being used – why would you with miles of sparkling Andaman Sea in front of the resort? The speedboat and jet-skis are there, right at the end of the beach, but nobody used one during our stay.
Most of the old staff that we recognised from our previous visits have left and when we were there at the beginning of February it seemed that nobody was in charge. The place had an almost derelict and unloved look to it as we arrived on the beach by longtail boat. There were sunbeds scattered around on the sand and a couple of broken deckchairs propped up against a tree. Very different from the slick operation we’d been used to. The day before we left a new manager arrived from Bangkok and immediately paths were swept and the beach chairs were all tidied but we didn’t notice any more evidence of his presence.
To be fair, the beachfront cottages that we like to stay in are showing their age and must be ready for a serious refurbishment if not replacement. The showers are very feeble and the bed linen is now rough and worn, but it was never about the accommodation, it was about the atmosphere which just isn’t the same any more.
Our room was kept clean and the food in the restaurant was fine, but the service was pretty useless at times. It wasn’t bad service, but once again with nobody apparently in charge, sometimes it took ages to get a meal and then you wouldn’t have all the components at the same time. Another day it would be fine… only one member of staff, Ben, ever smiled at guests as he worked in the restaurant, all the others just looked miserable.
Most of the staff now have only a limited command of English, I feel badly writing this as I can speak very little Thai, but with a wide mix of European visitors, English is the main language of communication. Previously, either Dick or Dee would be available and many of the staff were very keen to improve their English, asking us to repeat words and help them perfect their pronunciation.
I would continue to visit Koh Sukorn which still remains a beautiful unspoiled island and who knows, once the teething troubles are over, Yataa Resort may yet be very nice although, in the interim I might go to a different resort. However, in the past I never really appreciated how hard Dick and Dee worked to train and encourage good staff and maintain the peaceful, well run atmosphere that the resort now lacks. Perhaps we thought it all happened by magic… we know better now.
On all of our previous visits, Dick or Dee and often both, would greet us at the beach as we arrived, when we left they would come down to wave us off. When we left this time, the new manager, didn’t even look up from the desk, let alone say goodbye or thank us for staying. Speaks volumes really…..

Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Dilymy
Reviewed February 25, 2015

I agree with many of the comments made by LazyHeat. I visited this place in early February 2015 and have mixed feelings. The place is beautifully positioned and the beach is nice and quiet. We did, however, see both speedboats and jet skis, though not (yet?) in the water but on the beach.

Although cleaned every day, our bungalow was infested with bedbugs and we got quite badly bitten. When I mentioned it to the staff, they changed the sheets, but that was all. As anyone knows, that is not enough to get rid of these little buggers!

The gardens were very nice, carefully tended by some very nice gardening staff. I wish I could say the same for the restaurant staff, but here I'm wholly in agreement with LazyHeat - they treated us as an annoyance. One member of staff in particular was prone to making inappropriate jokes and swanned about the place like he was Queen of the island. We too were given very strong hints that they wanted us out by 9PM, which made us quite annoyed since there was nowhere else to go at that time of the night.

We hired bicycles one day, and I would urge anyone thinking of doing the same to inspect them closely before setting out. The ones we had were in desperate need of servicing - the brakes were tired and the gears barely worked.

All in all, it wasn't the worst place we've been to, but there were too many negatives to make me want to give it even an average score.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2015

Luckily we've had a totally different experience than LazyHeat123, more or less at the same time. Yes, we've heard the stories too from (probably) the same people that standards were dropping, but we've fully enjoyed our 5 days stay in our beach front bungalow. Staff were very kind and helpful, food was good and so were the drinks. Once I asked for a Mojito, which they couldn't deliver because they didn't had mint leafs. Later during the evening they gave me a big Mojito for FREE, with the obligatory mint leafs.
The bungalow was cleaned every day. We had a small problem with the toilet, which was immediately solved. No complaints by us!!
Free Wi-Fi only at the reception desk.
I didn't see any jet ski and hope they will stay away, this was a very peaceful and quiet place to relax.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled with family