Review Highlights
Interesting visit-it’s a tea factory!

Reviewed September 16, 2018
paulgray1
manchester
via mobile
Interesting to see a working factory but be prepared for the relentless sales pitch

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
643raroko
via mobile

All reviews nuwara eliya white tuna informative tour gift shop free tour no pressure whole process various stages silver tips sri lanka interesting visit take photos beautiful scenery for sale driver guide plantation machinery
Reviewed 1 week ago

Visiting a tea factory is a must when visiting SriLanka. The amazing fresh tea smell permeates the air, and the landscape of Nuwara Eliya is beautiful. Glenloch is no exception.

Our guide to the tea factory spouted many dodgy facts about tea. For example, she seemed to think black tea was high in vitamin C and had more vitamin C than green tea. She did not know what fermentation or oxidation were. When I asked questions to clarify her knowledge, she hit back by asking my travel partner whether I could understand English. Ouch! She then treated me like a retard who couldn't understand what she was saying, which was totally fine with me, because I knew she didn't know even the basics of the tea making process. I have attached a picture of the dodgy guide. Surely it takes only 10minutes of reading Wikipedia to pass some basic facts on and she couldn't even do that. I've attached a pic of the guide.

We didn't get a tour of the plantation outside. We were told we could wander down the path/road to take a better look outside. We weren't allowed to walk on the plantation slopes as a safety precaution.

Once inside, we tasted just one type of tea. It was OK. The shop was a bit overpriced. I bought BOP tea in the cheapest packaging, it was 1000rupees. No discounts, no haggling. Our driver was pretty happy because he got some free tea from the ladies there once we had made our purchases. I think drivers who bring visitors to Glenloch obviously get perks which depend on how much their visitors spend - that's enough incentive for them to choose this tea factory over others. The tea itself tastes great. Heaps better than the Dilmah you get in Australia.

In this factory, the same tea gets packaged as different brands. The price point is just determined by how fancy the brand is, which is mainly comes down to how beautiful the packaging is. So you might as well buy the no frills packaging.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Tour delivered in a speedy and robotic fashion - was difficult to understand and then man marked in the shop and felt pressured to purchase something, weren’t able to browse at own pace. Tea tasting was good though.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Factory guide girls are really friendly you can find a guide who can speak your language. They explain it very well. And also tea here is upto the standard. You can taste different types of tea free of charge. I take my clients to this place as the first stop on the way to Nuwara eliya from Kandy.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

This short your was amazing ! The guide was incredible and taking us through the factory was an eye opener !
The shop was a little expensive to be fair but I cannot deny the Sri Lankan people trying to make a little money
I’ve just arrived home and had my first cup of tea of the Royal- wow- seriously wow ! Fresh tea and first class quality- if you could buy this tea as fresh and as beautiful as it is you’d do it all day everyday- wish I had not been so frugal and bought more not just for ourselves but to share with friends.’great tour and well worth the stop by. Thank you for your hospitality expertly included in our itinerary by Blue Lanka Tours and our. Guide Mr Prakash Keerthy

1  Thank coll612
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

We liked the tour very much and was interesting to see how tea is being made. At the end you go through a shop. We wanted to buy white tea and we were told that it is not possible to buy it at the supermarket or local shop other than this shop. This was not true. We paid 4 time the cost in the supermarket!

Reviewed September 27, 2018 via mobile

Having been driven up into the highlands of sri lanka by ranjan we stopped at glenloch .this is where there are more than just black and green tea silver and gold are now added to the list.all are made from the top leaves silver and gold are from the youngest and smallest leaves and along with green are not fermemted
Tea came to sri lanka when a scots man borrowed some tea plants from china the rest is history

Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

Stopped here and had a tour of the factory. Quite interesting particularily some of the victorian machinery still being used but the tour is brief. Then it is into the cafe and shop where you can try a varirty of teas and purchase different teas and souvenirs. Typical tourist type place.

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Visited this factory as part of a tour group and it was very interesting. (Just would have been better if our group of 18 had been split into 2 smaller groups so it was easier to hear).
After the tour got the opportunity to test the various teas before looking round the shop.
There was a nice handmade chocolate counter - a few free samples might have encouraged people to buy as they looked delicious.
Lovely views from the car park

Reviewed September 22, 2018

This tour was recomended by our driver but the tour itself was perfunctory, around 10 minutes and they seemed more keen to get us into the shop. The guide herself did not seem overly interested.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We were recommended by our driver ( whose mother is a tea leaf picker)who we have for the week.its a working tea factory,our guide explained the process involved from tree to teacup and we found it fascinating.We both enjoy working factory experiences and the guide was fine.At the end we went into the shop and had some tea buying some rather nice chocolates to have with our teas -I don’t normally drink the stuff!

1  Thank paulgray1