“Not your typical Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Hartford Windsor
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Windsor
Rockaway, New Jersey
“Not your typical Residence Inn”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived late - between 11 and 12PM, hoping to find a typical Residence Inn which is always our favorite in the Marriott chain. What we found was something entirely different. The employee behind the counter, while very friendly, was dressed in blue jeans with white bleach stains - not what I would expect, even late at night at a Marriott of any level. There was a sign mentioning "Pet policy in effect". We asked what the pet policy was (thinking we'd like to bring our dog on a future trip) and were told "$100"....Didn't ask further, but I assume that was the nightly fee for a pet which makes me wonder why there are so many positive reviews from pet owners here. There are no indoor corridors to the rooms - each group of rooms is a 2 story (walk up) small block of "apartment" style rooms...The place felt like Marriott purchased an old time share facility and brought in their branded beds, shampoos, installed a sports court, etc. We got to our first floor "apartment" / room and the first thing we noticed was a strong musty smell. Luckily the heating unit (new / efficient / quiet with a wall thermometer) had a "fan on" setting which we kept on all night to blow fresher air at us. The bathroom looked and felt old. The tile floor had a chunk broken off and the grout, while clean, had a color to it that made it look like it would never again appear new. The light switch to the bathroom also turned on a fan that was easily the loudest I have ever heard. It felt almost like being in an airplane bathroom given the smaller sized seat and loud noise. We had to keep the shades closed as our view out was straight into another room. There was a wood burning fireplace in the room - looked like it would have worked, but there was no wood anywhere (first fall night of frost, so cold enough for a fire, but still early season so if they do supply wood in winter, it might have been too early) - a wood fireplace in a Residence Inn is not something I've seen before (although I think I've seen some simple gas on / off fireplaces). The bed was standard Marriott - very comfortable but the extra pillows that are part of our Marriott rewards profile weren't there. We tried to use the internet, but as others have stated, the wifi was about the worst I've seen in recent years. My iPad wouldn't hold a connection and the laptop barely did, and it was super slow (<1 mbps with >300 ms ping times at around midnight).

The next morning, we put on our coats to walk 2 buildings over for breakfast (not what I want to do at a nice hotel and couldn't imagine doing this in bad weather)....Breakfast wasn't very crowded, but the staff seamed unable to keep pace. I waited on line for the single waffle maker, but gave up when the woman ahead of me was cooking for her family. I went to the large (ie should be well stocked) fridge to grab a low-fat milk, but the only thing in there was 1 box of non-fat. I grabbed eggs and pancakes. The pancakes had just been put out so I figured they'd be a good alternative to the waffles. The eggs were good. The pancakes were cold and crusty on the edges - I guess they didn't heat them enough in the back before bringing them out...After eating the eggs, I went back for a waffle...The batter came out as a cloudy liquid (I assume it wasn't mixed properly and was near the empty end of the mix) - I poured it into the waffle maker before realizing how runny it was. It immediately started sizzling in the waffle maker. An employee took the mix to the back to refill and told me I would have to clean the waffle maker. Luckily another employee walked over and told me they would clean it because I certainly wasn't planning on cleaning it, but didn't want to leave the stuff burning in there!...To her credit, the employee refilling the mix came to my table when it was replaced and asked me if I wanted her to make me a waffle (at that point, no - I just wanted to leave). The staff was very friendly, if not very efficient. We grabbed coffee on the way back to the room and checked again for milk - during the 20-25 minutes we dined, someone finished off the last skim milk, but no new milks were put in the fridge.

We weren't there in the evening so I can't speak to the food that others say they put out. Overall, it was an extremely disappointing stay and I did not feel like I was at a Residence Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rick S
John J, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Windsor, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Good Morning Rick_S_NJ. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced!, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss these issues further with you. We feel we are very fortunate to have a facility such as ours as it provides a quiet park-like setting away from the hustle and bustle of the corporate structure that surrounds us but I am very concerned over the issues you experienced. I would love the opportunity to make it right!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Colorado
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Beautiful location! The room I had was disappointing. Evidently the people before me smoked in the room, since it was very smelly. Although they said there was wireless in the room, it was so poor that I could not even connect. After calling down to the front desk for help with that and them providing two different ‘800’ number (both disconnected), I gave up and used the hotspot on my phone. In fairness, they did offer a different room after the two incorrect numbers, but at that point, I was not interested in repacking and moving. The front desk people were very pleasant and engaging at the manager’s reception. The experience will not cause me to not use Marriott, but it was disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time that I have stayed at this property in the last few months and I will certainly stay there again. It is very easy to get to from I-91 and only about ten minutes from downtown Hartford and I-84. It was perfect for me, my wife, two kids and our dog. The rooms are clean and well laid out (we got a two room suite both times), the staff is very friendly and the hot (real) breakfast is great. The rooms on the non highway side are a lot quieter, do ask for one if they are available.

• Stayed August 2012
Netherlands
Reviewed August 15, 2012

excellent family hotel; a very warm welcome by friendly and helpful staff. We had one bed room suite on the second floor but there was ample space to house 6 people in the apartment style suites with two bathrooms. The door handle of 1 bath room was broken but quickly fixed by technical staff. Kitchen well equipped to cook meals that we only used in the weekend. monday tru thursday there was a complimentary social evening meal with mixed salads, soup or BBQ style meats including beverages. The outdoor pool was highly appreciated by the kids. in close proximity to springfield (20 min drive) basketball of fame, the old sturbridge village (40 min) and various CT state parks including wadsworth falls (30 min) and stratton brook (30 min) that both had nice hiking trail and lake for swimming

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Southcoast, MA
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We decided to take a last minute trip with the three kids to Six Flags and initially had problems finding a hotel in the area that would accommodate all of us (we prefer rooms with at least one private bedroom.). The Residence Inn had a great option for us with the bi-level loft suite. The accommodations were spacious and had all the amenities we needed to feel comfortable (full refrigerator, dishes, stove, etc.). Having the extra bathroom was great too. We have absolutely no complaints about the room. It was clean, modern, and well maintained.

The only slight drawback to this place is the location. While not a far drive from Six Flags (less than 25 minutes), there's not much life around this area. The hotel itself had a decent pool for the kids, but other than that, there's not many family friendly activities to take advantage of.

I will say one thing: the staff at the front desk went out of their way to help us out when our Jeep overheated and had to be towed. They arranged for the shuttle to bring us by the repair shop (which wasn't terribly close), saving us over $50 in taxi fare.

For the value and accommodations, this place is worth checking out.

• Stayed July 2012
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I do a fair shard of travel for business, and this hotel & it's staff goes over & above to make your stay a pleasant one. The evening social is great, and the staff is involved in making sure you experience is a good one. The food & drink are very good, and they even have some fun with trivia & general positive interaction.

If in the area for business or travel out of Harford this hotel is well worth the money. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: The evening social event allows you to have a real meals that supplies beer, wine, and soda at no ch...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Windsor, CT
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Everyone on the hotel staff from manager,front desk, janitior, and maintence and house services were very pleasant and immediately acted on requests. I was away from home for an extended period and was at the hotel for about 1-1/2 months. The size of the room, with the kitchen and living area, along with the apartments being segrated in different buildings with a nicely lanscaped courtyard made it feel more like an apartement than like staying at hotel. My only complaints is that someytimes the wireless internet was slow (no wire internet option) and the TV channels especially in HD would cutout briefly,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Good Morning Tom K!

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated! Were listening! Weve upgraded our cable services and have now installed several new access points for better wireless coverage!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
HYATT house Hartford North/Windsor
Courtyard Hartford Windsor
Hartford/Windsor Marriott Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Hartford North/Bradley Int'l Airport
Hampton Inn Hartford / Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Windsor? Share your experiences!