“Literally a gem in the rough!”

Willimantic Brewing Co
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Willimantic
Cuisines: American, Pub, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Willimantic Brewing Company/Main Street Café is a living landmark restaurant and pub brewery located in Willimantic, in the heart of rural northeastern Connecticut.Our original Main Street Café was founded in 1991, and began operations as a small deli in the old Capitol Theatre building on Main Street in Willimantic, CT. Occupying both the lobby and concession area of the theatre, seating was limited to 50 people. After 3 years we were bursting at the seams and made the move to 877 Main Street, another historic building. There we expanded to a full service restaurant and featured American craft-brewed beers and an extensive menu. One more move was in the cards for us, and we made yet another trek down Main Street to our home in the current granite and limestone 1909 U.S. Post Office Building.
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I dined here Saturday evening. As always the place was crowded but we were lucky enough to catch a table opening up. Reservations are recommended! Our server was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable about both the menu and the available local and guest micrbrew beers. The Edge of Darkness was delicious. My wife had the stuffed shrimp and I ordered the Prime Rib. It was perfectly cooked and fantastic. This location is a bar/restaurant and can get quiet noisy at times. The building is a cavernous old marble walled and floored post office building so the acoustics can be tough. This really does add to to the atmosphere of the business. If you want great beer and food, don't miss the Willimantic Brew Pub!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited this brew pub on a Sunday afternoon. We chose to sit at the bar and were served by a very well dressed friendly guy. He not only explained all the beer they have on tap, but also told us the history of the building and even went as far as to point out all the orginal features of the old post office that were worked into the bar. Our food was great and the beers were much better then most brew pubs we've been to. Cannot say enough about the service at the bar. The only complaint we had was with the hostess as we were leaving. We wanted to buy some glasses and shirts and she seemed really annoyed that she had to actually go get the key to unlock the case. Then we had the nerve to ask to purchase pint glasses and pay by credit card which required her to walk to another area to get them and swipe our card. The resturant was not at all busy, but this girl was quite young and maybe just a little inexperienced in customer service. Defiantly didn't ruin our time and was only one very small part of an over all excellent experiance.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'd been to it a long time ago and remember being very impressed with the beer and food. I recently took the motorcycle to it. They have a parking lot next to it, which is a plus. The refurbished cement post office is a nice building with wood inside and seating outside along the main street. I'm a dark beer drinker and was disappointed they only had a german style dark beer (I admit it was in August, so they wouldn't have much for darks anyway). I drank Smuttynose porter instead. The food was the biggest disappointment. It tasted like it had no fresh or distinguished flavor to it; as if there was no chef. I tasted like anyone trained for a week was making it.
Overall, I like the place and the service was good. It's a nice building and I like that they brew their own beer. I think they need a good chef to bring the place up a notch.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I think their homemade beer is great along with the nachos. If you are
wanting a gourmet meal this is not the place. Expect a crowd, it is a college
town. Avoid 5:30 to 7:30pm.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you like beer, you should try this place... If you don't like beer, you should try this place. Willibrew is one of a kind - I've tried just about everything on the menu and everything is good. Some offerings are excellent (burgers, BLT, veggie wrap, Beer B Que wings, vegetarian chili, brewer's bread, stuffed chicken breast, etc.). We stop into Willibrew often because it is a great place to hang out - plenty of room, always a good crowd, and the atmosphere is excellent. The beers that are brewed in-house are always great to try, and they carry a pretty good variety of 'guest' brews as well. The bartenders and waitstaff are always pleasant, and the owner (look for a guy in a Tie-Dye) is always willing to talk beer. Outdoor seating in the summer is nice too. I really don't have anything bad to say about this place.