“Just Uncomfortable”

Cuisines: American
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Just Uncomfortable”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Prior to visiting Dinosaur State Park, we decided to stop for some breakfast at Makri's. It is an 'alright' diner. I have eaten here before, but have never had an overly joyous experience. We were there about 1 p.m. this last Saturday. Our waitress was a blond lady, in her mid 30's or so, and appeared to be foreign. From Poland, I believe. It seems most of the waitresses there are Polish.

The waitress took our orders for something to drink. I ordered a coffee, but specifically ordered half a cup of coffee with the other half being milk. The waitress looked surprised by my order, as I could see a confused look cross her eyes. Is my order so bizarre? I like light coffee. A couple of minutes later, she brought our coffees sans any milk/cream, then took her leave. My partner and I wondered where our cream/milk was while we waited. A couple of more minutes passed, then she returned, and asked if we were ready to order. Piqued, I inquired as to the milk, which reminded her that boohoo, she had forgotten to bring the milk. This really irked me. She retreated, brought the milk, then pad in hand, asked for our orders.

Nothing very appealing is on the Makri's menu, thus I ordered my typical Western Omelette. When this waitress asked for my toast choice, I stated rye. She then repeated "rye" in a way that made if seem as if she had never heard that choice asked for before. At this point, I was just not very comfortable eating there. I do not expect a diner experience to be all that great, but I do expect to feel ok when patronizing an establishment. The food took 20 minutes to come out. My partner, who had ordered potato pancakes, seemed ok with his food selection. Mine was average. Nothing spectacular.

On the upside of this diner, they do try to refill your coffee cups as much as possible. The downside is that their waitresses often have their conversations in loud voices. And, it really is intrusive when they reach over the table to re-fill the sugar containers. Being that this was 1 p.m. and I imagine this diner opens up at or around 6 a.m., that is the time I believe they should be doing the refills, not while someone waits to eat or eats. This re-fill process seems to always happen whenever I find myself at Makri's and it is very annoying.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank EclipsianNight

Rutland/Killington, VT
“excellent breakfast/lunch”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I visit the area 6 or 8 times a year and frequent breakfast places all around. Makri's is spotlessly clean and the service was amusing and attentive. Good fresh medium roast coffee, very good Benedict, and though the buttermilk pancake (which is usually my preference) was OK, the whole wheat pancake (which I normally would not order) was terrific and not heavy or chewy like most places. We went twice in two days and introduced family who'd never been but live nearby, and they loved it as well. Diner aficianados will like that it is an authentic Jerry O'Mahoney diner. We will be back.

• Visited February 2013
Wethersfield, Connecticut
“Best pancakes around”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I hesitate to give this classic diner a good recommendation because I fear that our favorite breakfast place will get overly crowded, but I owe it to anyone who finds themselves traveling down Route 5/15 in Wethersfield to seek this place out for a really great breakfast. All good breakfasts start with a good cup of coffee and this place offers you just that in regular, decaf and dark roast. Their whole wheat pancakes are absolutely the best around, their omelettes are filled with nothing but fresh ingredients, and their corned beef hash with peppers and onions is delicious. The service is great, the staff is friendly and the place is spotless. It's why you'll find us there nearly every Saturday morning.

• Visited December 2012
Wolcott, Connecticut
“A breakfast gem on the Berlin Turnpike”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've driven by the Makris Diner many times, but we stopped here on a whim last Saturday (10/29) while out shopping before the storm. First, this place is spotless. I feel like clean bathrooms are not the norm for even the best diners, but Makris had a clean and pleasant one. The restaurant was also clean and had a new look to it. Second, the food was fantastic. Their menu had numerous offerings without being overwhelming. I ordered steak and eggs. My meal was flawless. Maybe I'm too critical, but whenever I order steak for breakfast, it's usually overlooked and tasteless. My steak was delicious and juicy. It was a perfect combination with eggs. My wife had eggs and whole wheat pancakes. Her eggs were cooked perfectly and the pancakes were light and fluffy. Last but not least, the coffee was stellar. What a fantastic place!

• Visited October 2012
Connecticut
“Top Notch Diner”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was driving up the Berlin Turnpike looking for a place to stop for a late lunch. Diners are my weakness so Makri's was a good bet. The place was quite clean with a standard breakfast and lunch menu. The food was plentiful, hot, and quite good. Now, I am just talking about eggs and hash browns, but it was a hearty meal. Throw in unlimited coffee and good service and the stop at the Makris Diner was a good decision.

• Visited June 2012