“No cheese in the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese”

Lucky Lou's Bar and Grill
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Wethersfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern American cuisine..All fish served wild caught, never frozen.. All beef products grass fed . ( Piedmontese beef line from Nebraska.. All vegetable hand sourced from Exec chef Lucas Kyriakos..
Manchester, Connecticut
“No cheese in the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I dined at Lucky Lou's a year ago and fell in love with the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese, the paintings on the wall on the second floor, and the live jazz playing in the late afternoon. I returned last week with guests, specifically for the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese and it was an incredible disappointment. The pasta was swimming in butter and every bite was, first and last, greasy. It tasted mostly like butter fat, but I can't be sure since the dish was so changed. There was no cheese to be found or tasted. Moderate amount of lobster.

I will say the lobster sliders were excellent. The shame is, they skimp on the amount of lobster in the sliders. I've only lived in New England for two years now and everywhere I eat lobster, whether it be CT, RI, MA, or Maine, they always pile it on. I haven't felt like I've been lucky because it's so consistent. New England has great lobster and they're proud of it! They scoop it on in a decently giant pile to give you what you came for. Last year, the same was true at Lucky Lou's. Not this year. The skimpy portion between the tiny buns made me leave not wanting to come back. Not to mention the whole can of mandarin oranges dumped in the overdressed arugula salad.

If you want to try it, drop in for lunch as prices really jump at the 2:30 p.m. lunch cut-off time. I lived in San Diego for years and I'm used to dinner prices kicking in about 4 p.m., so 2:30 seemed quite early for lunch to be over in summer tourist season.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Harriet W

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Great food, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had my sister's 30th bday party here. Lucas, the owner, met with us, to pick out a menu. Set up a table for 30 on the patio outside, so we kind of had our own little section, and went out of his way to be helpful. The food was great, we had chicken, veal and grilled veggies, plus pasta, salad and bruschetta. The place is very cool and cozy, on Fridays and Saturdays they have live band, and on Sundays brunch with music. We're definitely going back again.

• Visited May 2012
“The best!”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We discovered Lucky Lou's a few months ago and have been back many times. The service has always been good, fun staff and personalized attention. We have tried several things on the menu and never been disappointed. Last night we brought 2 other couples with us and they are hooked! Lucky Lou's is one of our favorite places in Wethersfield. We are looking forward to trying their Sunday brunches and to sitting out on the patio listening to live music.

• Visited April 2012
Gurnee
“Very uninspiring”
Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner on a Saturday night at Lucky Lou's. The service was spotty; we had to remind the waitress several times to bring water, bread and refresh beverages. She waited until she had taken our entire order to let us know that the kitchen was out of one of the entrees we wanted. When our meals arrived, my husband's meal was cold and mine - the red snapper - was inedible. It was overcooked, tough and rubbery and the sauce seemed to be nothing but a pool of oil. Very disappointing evening.

1 Thank W H
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Fun, excellent food, fine value”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This restaurant was rated tops by Tripadvisor, so it seemed worth a chance. We were seated promptly. The menu offered a number of good choices. Being a cheapskate I ordered the sliders (only $10) with a glass of water. Not only were they excellent, but the fries were too. Hard to get good fries nowadays!
Old Wethersfield is populated by very friendly and kind people. I have always liked doing business there. So I felt right at home.
The waitress apologized for a moderate wait, but they were busy and it was Saturday night. No problem.
Some of the paintings on the wall were, however, very depressing. When I mentioned that to the waitress she agreed and said the help felt the same way. Nice to be validated!
Definitely will go again and recommend it to friends and fellow tightwads.

• Visited March 2012