“Not at all what I expected...”
Review of The Westport Inn

The Westport Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night and wish I had read the tripadvisor reviews before I went. My first room opened to the outside walkway with overhang so room was very dark with small window. You have to keep curtains closed or everyone who walks by can look in. I upgraded (for a lot more money) to a room in back building with interior hallways. These rooms are much nicer and very large. I was pleased there was a small refrigerator but the room could use better lighting. The light bulbs are very low wattage so not bright enough for reading. Floor lamp was broken and leaning over. There was a huge stain on carpet in front of the door and there was a loud humming noise from HVAC vent in bathroom. For the money, it would have been nice to offer a complimentary breakfast. My floor was very quiet at night and the hotel is near many shops and restaurants. I did not see the pool or gym but could be a nice extra for families.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank eastcoastmomof3
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your recent trip to the Westport Inn. I am glad that our associates were able to accommodate your request to change rooms, although I would have preferred that our front desk waive the additional charge at that time. I will look into refunding the difference in room fees and please contact me personally for further discussion at ngomez@westportinn.com. I am disappointed to hear that the level of housekeeping was far below our standards and have alerted our supervisors to perform more thorough inspections before releasing rooms for guests. Should your travels bring you back to Westport, I invite you to contact me personally to make arrangements for your accommodations at the Westport Inn to ensure that all your expectations are exceeded.

Be Well,

Nora Gomez, General Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Growing up in this town I have seen The Westport Inn go through many changes. The beds are clean and so are the rooms due a recent renovation but when I stayed there the heating system was not working properly and my room ended up being 99 degrees. Obviously I didn't sleep. To me, a hotel shouldn't wait for you to ask for a fan when they know they have this problem. They should have brought one up to me the minute I checked in. I've never found this hotel to be a great or even good hotel. I still hold to my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

My sincere apologies for the uncomfortable temperature during your recent stay at the Westport Inn. Our Front Desk Associate should have offered to transfer you to a room in our rear building at no additional charge. Thanks to your feedback, I have set this policy in place during the summer months, when availability allows, to ensure all guests are comfortable while staying at the Westport Inn. I do hope you'll visit us again during your next trip to Westport. Please feel free to contact me personally if there is anything you would like to discuss.

Many thanks,

Nora Gomez, General Manager

Reviewed June 7, 2014

My son, daughter-in-law, and grandchild, who are from San Diego, as well as some relatives from Roslyn, NY, stayed at The Westport while visiting me in Westport. The rooms were large and comfortable and the ambiance charming. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the restaurant excellent and the location of the hotel conveniently located near shopping, restaurants and recreation. My family will be visiting again this summer and they are looking forward to staying at this lovely hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Westport Inn. I'm so pleased to hear that your family enjoyed our convenient location, relaxed accommodations and an atmosphere that is reflective of Westport's way of life. On behalf of our entire hotel team, we appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming your family back this summer.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This place was advertised as a Groupon getaway. While the lobby has been renovated, the rest of the place is a run-down flop house like motel in the middle of nowhere. This is no romantic getaway. We heard cars wizzing by all night. The air conditioner was not yet turned on. The vending machine was out of order. We wanted to go bike riding and only one was available.
We asked the desk to call a cab to take us to a restaurant. When we got there is was closed.
I complained the next day as to why the restaurant is listed in their book and the clerk didn't know it was closed. I was told it was two towns away.

If you want to sit outside, the tables are almost in the parking lot. If you don't have a car, you will spend a good sum of money on cabs.

Needless, we checked out the next morning. We are putting the charges in dispute with Groupon.

Room Tip: I cannot say anything good about this place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet K
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on business roughly three years ago and complained then to my company that it was bad, although the hotel people claimed it was because they were doing renovations. My company forgot and sent me there again and I didn't recognize the name on the itinerary until I got there. It was still awful. It was possibly worse. The rooms were dirty, the floors particularly so, the carpets stained—just as they are in the halls, where the rugs even in public spaces look as if they were bought at a yard sale in a housing project. The furniture is cheap and chipped and dirty. Big cobwebs hung from the light fixtures in my room. For several hours one of my two days (I was too busy during my visit to Westport to change hotels) the water in the sink and toilet was brown. The window shades weren't truly opaque and let in light at dawn. They were also hung too far from the window, so on the ground floor anyone could see in. Every single thing about this hotel cries "Cheap!" and "Crap!" The room bore no resemblance to the apparently fictional rooms shown online.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Londinium50AD
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Guest:

I’d like to thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westport Inn. It appears that we have fallen short of your expectations as well as our own. While we hope to convey the relaxed but eclectic ambiance of Westport through our modern décor, custom furnishings and unique artwork, it would seem that we need to reassess the care and procedures in their upkeep. I have alerted our Housekeeping and Facilities teams to ensure that the issues addressed in your comments are given proper and thorough attention at all times. I apologize for the unpleasant issues you were faced with and would hope that you would allow us another opportunity to provide you with an excellent experience at the Westport Inn.

Nora M Gomez

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We live near the Westport Inn and so we would like to think of the place as a local resource and so I suggested it to my parents while they were in the middle of a move. My mother who has a hard time getting around and is a diabetic was left in the room on her own for a day because we thought there would be room service for lunch. No room service for lunch? Ok, we can deal with that as long as the front desk person can help out my mother but no go. I asked that they go next door to Garelick & Herbs to grab lunch because I know that G&H does all of the catering at Westport Inn but no, the person who answered my call couldn't/woudn't help me out. I said we needed to get food quickly to my mother but still no help. I then asked for a manager and they kept me on hold for so long I hung up and called Garelick & Herbs directly. G & H were happy to help, they provided a perfect lunch for my mother, ran it over and said no tip was necessary. Big thumbs up for Garelick & Herbs, big thumbs down for Westport Inn!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank valoriel2014
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Guest:

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at the Westport Inn. I am very disappointed to hear that our staff was not able to better accommodate your mother during her stay and would like to speak with you personally so that we may use your feedback in educating and training our associates. We recently partnered with a local favorite to provide breakfast, dinner and Sunday Brunch dining options for our guests, but are not able to offer lunch service or in-room dining at this time. I assure you that your experiences are not indicative of the level of service we expect to provide to our guests. I truly hope that you will return to the Westport Inn to see firsthand how your comments have been utilized to improve our guests’ stays. Please feel free to call 203-557-8125 or email me at info@westportinn.com

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We booked this hotel through a "blind" website, so we did not know what hotel we would get. We expected a 3 star hotel, based on their rating. Boy was that over-rated. The hotel was really a quite run-down motel, with doors opening directly to the outside. Outside stairs and hallway carpets were old, stained and rusty. The first room we got had a door that would not lock, and no heat. They moved us to another, and that room was just OK. Functional, but certainly nothing to write home about. You do get 2 bottles of complimentary water. Water pressure was adequate but not great. If you are looking to just stay a night or two, then this might be OK for you. Don't expect much, though.

Room Tip: Others have said that the back building is newer and nicer. Perhaps try for a room back there...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Westport Inn. We hope to provide a relaxed yet refined atmosphere at our Inn and are disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your accommodations. I have asked our Facilities team to address the issues noted with corridor and stair carpeting. I assure you that we strive to maintain surroundings indicative of Westport as a whole and appreciate you alerting us to areas that might benefit from additional attention. Should your travels bring you back to Westport, I do hope you’ll visit us again to see the affect your comments have had on the Westport Inn.

Nora M. Gomez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
The Norwalk Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Fairfield Hotel
Holiday Inn Bridgeport
Holiday Inn Bridgeport
#1 of 1 in Bridgeport

Been to The Westport Inn? Share your experiences!