“Good value, a little disappointing, good linens, clean”
Review of The Westport Inn

The Westport Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed December 28, 2013

To sum-up, the Westport Inn is a nicely gussied-up motor inn, i.e., access rooms from outdoors. If you are a Choice Rewards member and use it while booking, you receive an unexpected nice package of water bottle, nuts, and (formerly local) Pepperidge Farms goldfish.

I didn't expect the outdoor "hallway access" from the photos. Had to walk a fair amount and use stairs with luggage. When I checked in, a gentleman carried my bag which I appreciated after a traffic-y drive.

The king room (#211) room was quite large, clean room & bath, nice linens. The bed was okay ... a little "springy" meaning I could tell it was a spring mattress. I could hear the Post Road traffic (or I-95) from my room, but I live in an urban area so the low hum didn't bother me much. The window was drafty, though I could control the temperature which is always very nice!

Annoying to no end--at 9:15am someone knocked-knocked-knocked on the door with a key -- horrible sound. Then again 2X later until I left at 1:45, despite the fact that I had asked for a late check-out. I think they believe the key-knocking is less disturbing than fist, but that sound went straight up my spine. I don't think they could hear me asking/yelling them to stop, because I did yell and they didn't stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back, away from the Post Road & I-95. Though you may need to schlep mo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank IntrepidwDog
W Paul B, Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on tripadvisor.

Nora Gomez
The Westport Inn

There are newer reviews for The Westport Inn

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is my first time staying at the Westport Inn. Both Angelica Miller (supervisor) and Charles Brady went out of their way to offer outstanding customer service and ensure that my needs were met. The maid even left a small handwritten note slipped under the door asking me to let her know if I needed anything at all (I had the "Do not disturb" sign hanging on my door knob). I have never had such outstanding customer service offered even at 4-star hotels in major cities before.

As for my accommodations, the bedroom and bathroom were quite clean. The linens and towels were clean. Everything worked as it should. To top it all off, the restaurant (The Red Hen) attached to the hotel offered delicious food and served it quite promptly. The Red Hen offered a great value, just like the Westport Inn.

I can honestly say that I look forward to my next stay at the Westport Inn and know that I will relish that stay as I did the last.

R. Huang

Room Tip: All the accommodations are great at the Westport Inn.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I think this place would be better in the warmer months. Some of the rooms have outdoor entrances,so in the winter a bit of a challenge. The suite was a nice size. Furniture was very bland but served its purpose. Staff was very nice. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank tricia95
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We were coming from England for a family wedding. On check in we did a room pre-auth with a card but said that on check out we were paying with a different one so not to charge that card.

While there the stay was plesent shame the bar wasnt open in the day.

On checkout we sere told to sign a receipt and low and behold they had charged the wrong card! We explained we had specifically said not to and i was told "dont worry you'll get a refund, can take 24 hours to 5 days" of which really annoyed us we were going to NYC after and i was now just short of $500 down! Not happy!

Called my card company and they said if they could get simple details i could have the money back in four hours. We called the hotel to have the phone pit down on us, to be told there was no manager, and when emailing no reply.

We got home to England STILL NO MONEY! i had spent my whole time in NY with alot less money than planned!

Took a strong email for someone to actually reply - the hotel had given me a refund but never cancelled the pre-auth meaning they were still holding the money. 30 days later i finally got my money back, i emailed to say it was through and the reply i got "ok thanks for telling us" no apology nothing!!

I was disgusted by the lack of communication, service, help and overall making what should have been an amazing trip a stressful one. My phone bill was £115 from trying to sort this out!

I shall never go here again and i make sure to tell everyone about this!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Tizbungi
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We booked this hotel three months in advance for Thanksgiving night. We have three children under three, and called to specifically book the two-bedroom family suite. In fact, the availability of this suite was the only reason we booked at the property. The reservation was guaranteed with a credit card and the confirmation specified the family suite.

We called the day before to reconfirm the three cribs we had requested and were told rather discourteously that they had involuntarily rebooked us into a one-bedroom so that another guest could extend a stay in the suite we had reserved.

It was unclear on repeated inquiries why the front desk staff didn't inform the guest who requested an extended stay that the suite was not available on Thanksgiving night. One staffer blamed it on a national reservation line, who told us it was done locally. The general manager said that it was a training failure.

Rather than cancel the trip and with few other options, we did stay in the one-bedroom, which to their credit they comped. They only provided two cribs rather than the three we requested (three months in advance!) so one child had to sleep in a pack-and-play. Worse, there was no bathtub (just a stand-up shower) despite the fact they knew we were traveling with small children. They said no room with a bathtub was available when we asked.

We will not be back, and recommend anyone who requires the specific room they reserved also steer clear.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank PhilKerpen
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Westport is a town that doubles in size with hundreds of businesses attracting thousands of commuters yet there is no decent meeting room or gathering place for rent. At first glance the Westport Inn looked like the ideal place for a business meeting. A sizable meeting room, a beautiful lobby with fireplace, a pleasant enough breakfast area, new management that supposedly cleaned the place up.

Sadly, first impressions were deceiving and the day devolved into a catalogue of comical lapses. The meeting room was 60 degrees when we arrived -- it took a couple hours to get it up to 70. A U-shaped table was set up incorrectly; when somebody was finally found to correct it a new table was inserted that was lower and didn't fit with the others.

Outlets for projectors and other devices were hidden in a closet; computers could not be plugged in anywhere. When we found an extension cord and ran it from the closet it snaked across the floor, tripping our guest speaker every few minutes. A crew came in to tape it down in the middle of the meeting, but of course they didn't use enough tape and it came up easily, tripping the speaker again.

It got worse. The coffee arrived half an hour after we started and ran out 15 minutes later. Meantime, there was no milk or sugar; the caterer brought some, i was told, but somebody in the kitchen knocked it over. Instead of replacing it, the kitchen ignored the problem and let the caterer return to his place a mile down the road to fetch some more. The chairs were unbelievably uncomfortable after about 5 minutes into an 8 hour meeting. It was impossible to dim the lights and difficult to turn them on and off as they, too, were hidden in a closet, so overhead slides were hard to read. A bathroom off the lobby had no paper towels and the electric hand blower was not working; as a result the trashcan filled up with tissues.

I wish I could say the staff was attentive. With the exception of the events coordinator, who did the best she could, the rest of the staff seemed almost resentful of the imposition. There were no pads on the tables -- when we asked for some a staff member came in and instead of helping to distribute them dropped them in our facilitator's hands. The front desk clerks were surprised when we arrived and seemed to have little interest in our situation.

I hope these comments will be viewed constructively but if not local businesses will continue to look for greener pastures in Norwalk or Fairfield while opportunities go begging here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Landmarkfinder A
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel was lovely and decorated very well (and is pet-friendly which was a huge plus for us), but the staff wasn't overly welcoming and friendly and the heating system was set hotel-wide, so we couldn't control the heat/air in our room. It was soooo hot all night long, that we actually opened the windows and the outside door to let some fresh, cool air in. Not exactly the ideal situation but the only way to cool down the steaming hot room! The price per night put this in a midscale brand range, but didn't meet the expectations for the value.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan! The best part of the hotel was the restaurant on premises.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
The Circle Hotel Fairfield
#1 of 12 in Norwalk
Hotel Hi-Ho
Hotel Hi-Ho
#2 of 3 in Fairfield

Been to The Westport Inn? Share your experiences!