“Nightmare at Longshore”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
The Inn at Longshore
Ranked #1 of 1 Westport B&B and Inns
Oklahoma
“Nightmare at Longshore”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Our time at the Inn was awful -we searched 10 minutes to find someone to check us in. 30 minutes after we checked in, a guy used his key and barged into our room. He didn't even bother to knock first. It was so hot in the rooms you couldn't sleep and the a/c didn't work. We moved to another room hoping it would be cooler- the a/c worked but made a lot of noise. The tv remote wouldn't work. Since we were the only people staying in the Inn, they didn't bother to make coffee or put out anything for breakfast. I have never seen such horrible service. We check out and found a great place to stay on the other side of town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dancergigi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
ctj1982
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I absolutely LOVE the Inn at Longshore. The views are fantastic, the rooms are really cute and the food is DELICIOUS! Try their risotto balls and Gratin Potatoes with Wisconsin Parmesan! I visited the Inn at Longshore about 3 times this year. Everytime I was greeted very nicely by reception and the staff (especially Kacy, Christine and Eddie) is WONDERFUL! I had my wedding there in October and the entire weekend was perfect. The service and the whole experience was fantastic! I highly recommend the Inn at Longshore! (For all of you with boyfriends/husbands who golf, the Inn literally sits on a golf course. And dont forget to walk the grounds near the water - they have some really cute stone benches out back!)

• Stayed October 2009
Westport, CT
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We reserved the Inn at Longshore to hold my daughter's Bat Mitzvah celebration in November 2009. We were completely satisfied with the experience and dealt with true professionals from beginning to end! The service was excellent and everything ran like clockwork throughout the whole day! The Catering Director was excellent and extremely helpful and accomodating to our needs! The food was delicious, the service/staff was very efficient and it was a pleasure to receive such wonderful client service!

We would highly recommend this location to others and will consider holding other functions at this beautiful, waterfront location in the near future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I had my wedding at Inn at Longshore last year September 2008 - it was absolutely beautiful and we had wonderful service from the Inn staff. I am an event planner and put an emphisis on service; the staff at Longshore delivered. They were accommodating to any special requests or questions, they were extremely attentive on the day of the wedding. I really felt they did a great job at helping create a beautiful and memorable wedding experience. Even the head chef was very accomodating to last minute allergy and food adversion requests. I felt for the money, in the Fairfield County area, it was a good deal.

I did not stay at the hotel so I cannot speak to the conditions of the bedrooms or the breakfast service.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Noank, CT
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We chose to come back to the Inn at Longshore this year for our anniversary because it was the site of our wedding reception 12 years ago (and where we spent the wedding night in the suite). This was our first time back as Inn guests (we have come back for day trips and eaten at Splash the good restaurant on the property). I agree with other posts that this Inn should and could be so much more. The location is ideal for attracting guests who would pay much more per night to stay there if the staff and rooms were updated.
When my husband made the reservation, he requested the same room and explained it was a surprise for me, and how special this weekend would be etc. NOTHING from the staff upon arrival. Other hotels would have had complimentary champagne and fruit waiting in the room. If not that, then how about a nice little card? Something to acknowledge the special occasion? Just lazy and uncaring.
We arrived and waited 10 minutes for someone to appear at the front desk. On a Saturday at 4:30. Where was everyone? We were laughing by the time someone came to the front desk. Again, no acknowledgement ("welcome back" would have been nice) and he told us where our room was. No offer to help with the bags. So we climbed the 2 flights of stairs with all our bags in tow. What a joke.
The room. I am almost positive that it has not been redecorated since we were there in 1997. For a "suite" it is in very sad, tired shape. Chairs and sofa are tattered and worn. Heat very difficult to control (either sweltering or freezing). The hotel needs an overhaul. Hallways even smell old. It is a shame because this place has the potential. I know they do a brisk catering hall business but the rooms could be so much more appealing.

Same complaints about the pathetic breakfast and "room" that it is held in. We had to share it with a table of "tweens" who were there for a Bat Mitzvah. The language was so offensive and loud, I was shocked that no one asked them to either tone it down or take their party to another location. Very disappointing. We left as soon as possible.

Check out was similar, here's your bill. Goodbye. Ugh, this place is in desperate need of a staff and decorating rescue. Too bad there isn't a reality show that could come in and knock some sense into the owner. Maybe someday.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank my4sons
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed here over the weekend of my friend's wedding (which I was a bridesmaid in). Other than being convenient for simply walking upstairs after the reception, I have nothing positive to report about this hotel. The walls are thin, room temperature difficult to regulate, and the room decor is dated. We had to call several times about internet service as there was no documented network or password in their room info.

Additionally, as a bridesmaid, this was a picture perfect site for a wedding, except for the site event coordinators. With every interaction there was an issue - the overnight guest list was snatched out of my hands, table arrangements changed 24 hrs before the reception, almost sending us down the aisle to the wrong music... the list goes on. Fortunately we had excellent outside help!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KW_Philadelphia
chussey, Director of Sales and Marketing at The Inn at Longshore, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your review. While we strive for excellence, it seems that your perception is that we fell short of this. We would like to invite you back for another stay. Please contact me if you are in the Connecticut area as I am confident that we have superb qualities as a small Inn on the Gold Coast of Westport.

Christine Hussey
Director of Sales & Marketing
Woking
Reviewed August 20, 2009

If you close your eyes and think of New England (yachting, white painted buildings and clam bakes) you will picture something not a million miles away from the Inn at Longshore - it is a beatifiul building set on a golf course on the water's edge in one of the most well-to-do towns in Connecticut. So it is odd that I wouldn't choose to stay there again.

While the location is great, and the lobby and common areas are fine, the rooms are badly maintained (on my stay the door to the bathroom wouldn't shut, the hotel door would not lock, using the iron at the same time as the TV turned the whole upper floor into darkness and the air conditioning sounded as though a helicopter was landing).

On top of the problems with the room, the hotel seemed to lack a few basics that would be expected elsewhere. Breakfast consisted of a toaster and a loaf of bread with a small basket of boxes of cereal that got depleted over the days we stayed there. Over the five or so days we stayed there breakfast was held in the breakfast room, by the side of the ball room, and in the reception area, depending on what else seemed to be going on in the hotel..Guests have use of the town swimming pool, but only if they pay, which is a bit of a disappointment. There was also a reasonably large error on my bill when we checked out. The staff were friendly but did not go out of their way to help with anything.

I suspect the real reason that the Inn just does not seem to be set up as an Inn is that it is really a wedding / corporate event venue with a few rooms thrown in rather than a place that really wishes to attract paying guests. By all means, hold your wedding here, or even stay for a couple of days with your friends to play golf, but I wouldn't recommend it as a family hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mesurier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
The Westport Inn
EVEN Hotel Norwalk
#1 of 12 in Norwalk
Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk
The Circle Hotel Fairfield

Been to The Inn at Longshore? Share your experiences!