“A wedding cancelled due to Sandy - a dream reception come true.”
Review of Tavern on Main

Tavern on Main
Ranked #18 of 166 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A wedding cancelled due to Sandy - a dream reception come true.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

On 10 November 2012, I received a call that every bride-to-be dreads, "We're calling to let you know that we need to reschedule your wedding due to Hurricane Sandy." I cried for about 20 minutes, dried my tears and started to think I was lucky - I just had to cancel a wedding - too many people lost their homes, memorabilia, cars and some even lost loved ones. I have to admit - when you put things into perspective, cancelling a wedding is not so tragic.

My fiancee and I immediately started to plan a smaller, more private intimate wedding in my hometown of Norwalk, CT. There are many vendors who I am debited too for making our wedding so special but none so more important than Helen Zervos and her family (I can't refer to all the wonderful staff there as staff because they made us feel like family).

I am a BIG foodie! I sleep, walk, even attempt to write about my food experiences. The Tavern on Main is charming, cozy (get a seat by the fire) and the food gives you a feeling of pure utopia.

Helen was immediately sympathetic about our situation and accommodated all our requests, they even made us a cake which was moist, beautifully presented and I think my husband and I had our first "fight" over who got to eat the last slice.

We dined on a menu of various choices from lamb chops, seafood pasts, fish and filet mignon. All 16 of our guests loved the homemade potato chips (yes HOMEMADE) and the blue cheese dipping sauce.

The wine selections at the Tavern on Main are quite extensive and superb! The sommelier was knowledgeable and his recommendations matched perfectly with every course. I want to thank him for surprising us with our favorite bottle of Champagne.

Many thanks and gratitude are extended to the waitstaff, chef, sous chef and the bartender (who makes a great dirty martini)! We hold the owner and staff in our hearts for going to so much trouble to make our day so special after such a tragic storm!

Please dine at the Tavern on Main. Tell Helen and the staff that the couple that go married on 15 December 2012 sent you! Don't forget to have the clam chowder!

I could write far more than I have here. You can't imagine all Helen and her staff did for us. It's because of them that we had the best day ever!

Thank you.

The new Mr. and Mrs. "B"

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Classycook

westport ct
“Visited many times over the years, but . . .”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Still the best spot to stop for lunch on Main St (not saying much I know), but standards have definitely slipped a little since it changed hands a couple of years ago. But I will go back again anyway.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank pbs1
Trumbull
“Great First Time Experience!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Tavern on Main is charming, cozy but lively & the food was terrific. The service was friendly & attentive- I'm just sorry it took us so long to discover this local gem! Can't wait to come back!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank gardenweasel
Weston, CT
“Cozy Spot”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Tavern on Main is a "mainstay" around here. Nice service, good menu. Not so elegant that you can't just stop in and grab a bite, but also special enough that you can celebrate nice occasions. Cozy fireplace during colder months, and nice patio during the warmer season.

Visited February 2012
Westport, Connecticut
“Very nice start to the New Year”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Having been to Tavern on Main several times, we looked forward to our Annual New Year's Eve dinner there. From the moment we entered until we left, we were made welcome and taken care of by a friendly, helpful and attentive staff.
The meal was well-prepared, tasty and enjoyable. The Tuna Tartare was excellent and was a standout start to the meal. A cozy warm room with several fireplaces and beamed ceilings added to the evening. A strong recommendation for Tavern on Main.