“Excellent Food and Atmosphere.”
Review of Little Barn

Little Barn
Ranked #19 of 185 Restaurants in Westport
Reviewed March 30, 2019

I am a native Westporter and this is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently good and the service is outstanding. My parents are regulars here and the staff are all warm and welcoming. They have the same five or six beers on tap with one different beer of the week , for variety.They have a huge selection of beers in bottles and cans and nice wines at affordable prices. I have tried the turkey burger, the black bean burger, the chili, the huge pretzel and a turkey sandwich special.All of these are great.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 18, 2019

Chill little place with a cool bar!! Great menu with all kinds of Americana food selections! Great beer selection. Loved the burgers, the salads, actually the menu is awesome! cool little rustic barn vibe place.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed January 9, 2019

Our party of six was seated quickly and the orders were taken as soon as we were ready. The French Onion was superb and the salmon and fish tacos were very good. What a wonderful treat!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 15, 2018

My husband and I had lunch here today and it was great! It was busy but we were seated immediately. We started with a couple of appetizers, the lobster corn chowder ($8.95) which was nice and creamy and the reuben egg rolls ($10.95) which were excellent!!!! We each ordered a sandwich, the turkey wrap w/fries($12.95) and the Cubano special with a side salad($13.95). We had plenty of food to take home for another delicious meal.
The restaurant was loud but most are around here. It didn't help their music was loud too. The server was nice but I felt like we had to keep getting his attention but maybe he just didn't want to rush us.
I will definitely go back!!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 6, 2018

Hello.

I'd like to tell you about an experience we had at Little Barn Pub in Westport.

My wife, myself, and our 2-year-old son went out to dinner at Little Barn on Sunday evening, Nov 4th.  After a short wait, we were sat at our table and went about our normal routine of ordering and eating.

Our son is 2.  He is disabled in that he has epilepsy and is non-verbal autistic.  We've been taking him out to eat since birth and he's very familiar with the environment of a restaurant.  Occasionally, he throws things from the table onto the floor, or spills his cup.  We are always apologetic to the tables near us and to the service staff and 95% of the time everyone is understanding.

In addition to his actions, which are pretty typical for a small child, he also has short screaming sessions as part of his autism.  We try everything we can to distract and discourage him from doing this.  We offer him crayons and paper to color, toy cars to play with, lollipops to suck on, etc.  Sunday night, he happened to have a few and we were able to discourage him quickly so as not to disturb the other patrons.

Now, Little Barn is billed as kid-friendly.  In fact, when we arrived there were several small children in attendance with their families having a good time.  We thought this was a good place.  We were right.  Let me explain:

There was a group of four adults seated behind us.  My wife overheard them murmuring about our son.  About how we shouldn't have him out in public if he was going to behave like that.  About how we're neglectful in that his behavior isn't under control.  After a minute of this, my wife stood up and confronted them about it.  Not loudly, but it was clear she was upset and most of the restaurant could see what was transpiring.  My wife explained everything that I said above about our son and that we're trying our best.  She also stated that if they wanted to say something negative about our son to talk directly to us.  She even held up a bag of lollipops that we use to help distract him from screaming or throwing objects.  I was observing, but also making sure my son was looked after and helping him finish his food.

The group of adults tried to comfort her, albeit without apologizing, but they did a piss poor job of it.  Eventually, my wife sat back down, face full of tears.

Side note:  This will be our first holiday season without her mother, who passed away from cancer back in May of this year at the age of 63.

She settled down and we regrouped and waited for the dessert we had ordered not 2 minutes before this whole event started.  A short while later, a server, who was not our original server, came over and asked if we wanted dessert.  Confused, we told her that we had already ordered with our original server.  The woman said she wanted to know if we wanted to take something home with us, at no charge.  She also offered my wife a free shot.  We were a bit surprised, but politely declined her offer.  She said no problem and went back to working.  A minute later, a man named Chris identified himself as the restaurant manager and came over to us to see how we were doing and if there's anything he could do for us.  He condemned the group of adults' behavior, stating that he's rather lose customers than make a young child feel unwelcomed.  He said that everyone is welcome at Little Barn, no exceptions.  He continued by stating that our dessert was on the house.  Reluctantly, we accepted his offer and said many thanks.

It gets better.

After our dessert arrived and we devoured it (the candy apple was amazing, and one staff member came over to try and help my son with his spoon for the brownie, which was very kind), our original server, Stacy, came by to check on us and told us that she spoke to the wait staff and they combined to take care of our entire bill.

WHAT?

Now, we didn't order a skimpy dinner.  We estimated that our entire dinner meal would cost about $65, not including gratuity.  We refused.  We said that we cannot possibly ask anyone to do that for us.  The restaurant did nothing wrong, and in fact, made us feel welcomed like any other customer that would walk through their doors.  But Stacy refused to let us off.  She insisted and said that it was already done and we had no choice in the matter.  She even refused gratuity when I tried to give her a $10 bill.

We thanked everyone profusely, and then, at the very end, a few staff members lined up against the wall and each one gave my son a high five and fist bump, like a sports star.  My son walked out of the restaurant with the biggest smile on his face.

We are a regular family living in CT.  We just want to raise our son to be proud of himself, no matter what difficulties he may have or challenges he may face.  Little Barn made sure that we had an opportunity to do that.

Oh, and the food was great, too.  Best Fish-N-Chips I've ever had.

Date of visit: November 2018