“Great lunch and outstanding value”

The Mumbai times Indian cuisine
Ranked #36 of 174 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here last October. We were impressed by the food and service, and gave a good review. We've since been back for dinner, and they've maintained a very high level of quality.

However, we don't normally come here for lunch. No particular reason.

Today we were visited by a friend who no longer lives in the area, who remembered this restaurant from years ago (when it was called something else). He suggested that we have lunch there.

Glad we did.

Buffet meals can often feel second-rate, particularly in Indian restaurants, where the buffet dishes tend to be bland, to address the lunch crowd, and the selection can be limited. Mumbai Times didn't fall into either of these traps: sure, there were no Vindaloos, but the dishes were spicy and appetizing. The selection was extensive - including vegetarian dishes, tandoori chicken, chicken tikka marsala, and a rather nice spicy lamb dish whose name escapes me. The food was excellent: the same quality as the dinner menu.

Much to our delight, the waiter brought round an endless supply of freshly-baked Naans. This is far better than the usual tired little heap of warmed-up bread that one often finds in a buffet. He also kept a close eye on our plates, clearing them away when we were ready for another helping.

The price included a beverage. We had wine. Both red and white were perfectly acceptable, and were served in generous portions.

And here's the amazing thing - it cost us $10.95 per head. That's less than a glass of Bordeaux in most places. I don't know how they do it, but I'm very glad they do. We'll be back.

1  Thank Hans_Sachs

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a major foodie who particularly likes Asian food of all types. In the past few months, I have been sampling Indian cuisine at a number of Indian and byriany spots neat the Westport CT area. By far, the best I have encountered - including some highly recommended multiple-location restaurants - is the Mumbai Times. I have now eaten there three times and have been very favorably impressed with the food and the flexibilty of the staff in "customizing" menus to suit one's taste.

Often, I find that lesser Indian restaurants have two problems: 1. Over-using ghee as a flavor boost, which for me triggers gall bladder attacks, and 2. a "steam-table" quality to the food, expecially vegetarian dishes. Mumbai Times excels at great Indian food that always tastes freshly prepared - even their buffet selections. This is finally one great place in Fairfield County that avoids "formula-based" food in favor of original and fresh tasting dishes.

I recommend it highly to those who are discriminating about Indian cuisine.

pgiuli

1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wrote a glowing review of Mumbai Times just a few months ago. However, I had a truly terrible meal there only a week ago, and doubt if I'll go back (despite being given a gift voucher as a apology by the restaurant). The food simply was NOT as described on the menu. My guest wanted milder food, so we ordered a Chicken Chutneywala and a Lamb Pasanda. Imagine our confusion to find that the sauces were exactly the same! Not a sign of any mint (or mango chutney) in the Chutneywala, and no ground almonds in the Pasanda - just the same bland tasteless sauce. LAZY LAZY LAZY kitchen work. Probably a commercial sauce, heated up and thrown some meat in. They couldn't even be bothered to PRETEND by adding mint and chutney to one dish and ground almonds to the other.

I explained our disappointment to our waiter - who seemed oddly unsurprised. He didn't apologize, but came back later and handed my guest a $25 gift voucher - still without saying a word. Can't think of any reason to go back and have more lazy bad food. Now having to return to cooking my own - MUCH better btw - and I would never use a commercial sauce for food for MY guests..

1  Thank simonwt71
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We went as a family, with two teens, and found the food and service to be both excellent. The Manager suggested we try dishes that we wouldn't ordinarily order and they were delicious. Staff were all very friendly and attentive. We have tried Indian Cuisine around the world and really enjoyed our evening at The Mumbai Times. We have yet to try their other restaurant in Greenwich.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

with many good Indian choices in the area i didn't have any expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food is. Very fresh ingredients and decent prices. Have been back twice since

2  Thank Msmouse1