“Rocking Restaurant!”

Fairfield, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rocking Restaurant!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have been here a few times and the food and service are always great. Sometimes there can be a little bit of a wait but it’s always worth it! Most recently I was having trouble deciding what I wanted, Katie gave me a great recommendation, she’s a ROCK STAR! I would defiantly recommend the Spotted Horse to all my friends and family.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Stephanie P

Westport, Connecticut
“friendly staff, very good food”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and i came after a lecture late friday nite right before the kitchen closed..instead of being pushed out we were warmly greeted..the waited explained some new items on the menu, including chicken milanese which is one of my favorite dishes..this one did not disappoint...it was delicious....the kitchen went out of their way to accommodate my vegan wife and made her a delicious meal even at that late hour...we have been there several times and have always had a good experience.....whenever we have family and friends visiting us, this is always our first stop...great place!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank marc k
“Horrible Service...Nothing to Crave”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

As a retired chef I try new restaurants based on the reviews. The reviews here on TripAdvisor looked good so I suggested this place to friends for dinner last night. I love the decor & the atmosphere; it was light, airy and had a warm vibe. It's very noisy though, but it was the perfect setting for our evening.

So we sit down and are then mis-greeted by the extremely rude waitress who seemed quite annoyed that she even had to wait on us. She was very abrupt, b*#$%!, took a drink order and rarely came back to the table.

So while we are in the midst of enjoying our appetizers a flock of kitchen staff come stampeding over to our table with our dinners and start putting down the food (in all of the wrong locations, every single time) without taking empty glasses, without allowing us to finish our appetizers (and the table is tiny). They didn't care; they just dumped the food and left. Where the hell is our waitress? We needed ketchup, drinks, utensils, all of our dishes cleared. We had to grab someone off the floor to help us...another unhappy person.

So let's get to the food... The menu had a lot of great variety which was exciting, but the food was lackluster; very average. I love kale salad, and this one was one star. The ahi tacos were average 3 star. My boyfriend had the mussels which were 3 star, and the fish special; the fish was minuscule & overcooked, but had flavor. Our friends said their dishes were good, not great (shrimp appetizer, hamburger & the salmon).

So our waitress came back (still no attitude adjustment) to see if we wanted dessert. We ordered the cheesecake and the apple tart. Once again delivered to the table; no forks and when we asked our waitress for utensils once again the nasty attitude.

Would we go back? Maybe it was just a bad night. Maybe we had a bitter taste in our mouth from the service leaving our food undesirable. Maybe we would try again, but sit at the bar? The bottom line; there's nothing crave-worthy to make us go back...

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Cashmere P
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Always festive, good vibe and very good food”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

After trying several times over the past year, we were able to get in without a wait. But if you have to wait, great bar scene. Not a big restaurant but they make good use of space, and very festive atmosphere...we tried the tuna tartar, spring rolls, and wedge to start...and we had short ribs and chicken scarpiello...food was all very good. I'd recommend the restaurant, and we'll be sure to go back.

• Visited April 2014
westport ct
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Utterly charming conversion of a historic house in the center of Westport into a tavern style restaurant and bar. The menu has something for almost everyone (kids, friends, date night), reads well and is priced right. But then, the rot sets in. Wait staff was beyond casual venturing into totally untrained territory. Food was disappointing and rather bland. One of our dishes was burned and had to be sent back. A neighbors veggie-burger (and later chocolate cake) looked to be straight from the catering warehouse freezer section. In short, great environment but an unacceptable level of execution in the kitchen.

• Visited March 2014