“Really? The Sherwood is rated this high?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sherwood Diner
Ranked #12 of 163 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: American, Diner, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Here's the yelp.com entry: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sherwood-diner-westport
NY/Westport/Provence
“Really? The Sherwood is rated this high?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Sherwood has its place and is great for breakfast or a quick 'diner meal'. Fresh food and good service. But..and a big but...it is not a 'dining experience' it is a 'Diner experience' How it could be listed higher than some very good restaurants in Westport is the reason that sometimes, 'Trip Advisor' is a bot of a gamble because you don't know the objective reasoning of the reviewer. Go for a good breakfast or a quick dinner if you need good and fast.

Visited February 2013

Scituate, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quick and yummy breakfast on a business trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Obviously a spot popular with the locals. Second morning they greeted us like old friends. Four day business trip and we ate breakfast there every day. Food was fresh and well prepared. Extensive menu and lots of combinations...Fresh fruit was available as a substitute for home fries... YUM! Pineapple, blueberries, strawberries and cantaloupe for like 2 dollars extra... Ask for Beatrice if you want excellent service...

Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Diner Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

When i crave a diner breakfast, I have a clear idea of what I want. Simply cooked eggs, flat pieces of regular bread from a plastic bag, corned beef hash from a can, sausage links that I can get in a market freezer, strong and endless coffee, and a sassy waitress. If I want bourgoisie brunch, I'll go to somewhere more gourmet and expect to be wowed. But when I crave diner stuff, I expect it to be no-frills and down and dirty. That's the kind of food you get here. It's heaping, it's hot, it's simple, it's delicious. Easily found off the highway (exit 18 off 95) and nestled in one of the richest towns in the USA, it's surprisingly affordable and top quality. You have all the standards here: eggs, choice of meat, great potatoes, white/wheat toast, bottomless coffee. About $8 per person, not including tip. No complaints at all.

• Visited January 2013
NJ
“Fills your Tummy, but That's about it...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I were driving up to our place in Maine and were caught up in the early November snowstorm which pretty much paralyzed the Northeast. So, after being on the road for five hours, we had traveled about 150 miles from our home. In desperation I found the sign for the Sherwood diner on Route 95 in Connecticut and decided to pull in for a break, and some dinner.
The place is a typical diner with booths, tables, and a counter. We were seated and proceeded to order. The wait staff was ok but they didn't seem to care whether we were taken care of or not. The waitress I don't think cracked a smile the entire time. I didn't feel any love coming from anyone. I ordered a Turkey and Swiss Panini and my wife ordered a Cheeseburger. The Panini was dry. Usually, the Panini's I've had before are nicely toasted and slightly buttery/oily. That's my personal preference. This was just dry. It seems they took the bread and plopped it on a grill and that was it. I would not order that again. My wife said her cheeseburger was good, not great, just good. It was a meal. Period. Afterwards in the evening she was a bit sick -- not sure if it was the meat in the burger or something else. But sick she was.
The place has no atmosphere -- at least I didn't get it. I would not return there to eat as I just didn't care for the staff, or the food overall.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jorge M
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“You won't leave hungry!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stopped here on the recommendation of our son. We were seated instantly and given menus and our drink orders taken. A short time later , our waiter asked if there were any questions on the extensive menu. We ordered our soups and entrees and soon were brought piping hot bowls of delicious chicken noodle soup and rolls and butter. Shortly later our entrees arrived. I had ordered the roast chicken with dressing and mashed potatos. A zuccini , onoin, tomato mix arrived as a side. The entree was HUGE and absolutely perfect! The dressing was so flavorful and the half chicken was roasted to a crispy skin, but was moist inside. There was a small portion of cranberry sauce to round out the flavors.. My husband's eggplant parm was excellent and was served with a large plate of spagetti marinara, which were both very nice. He also ordered apple pie a la mode and it was excellent. There were plenty of yummy leftovers to take home and the food was well worth the price. We will return there when we visit Westport again.

• Visited October 2012