“Good food, terrible layout”
Review of Le Farm - CLOSED

Le Farm
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bridgeport, CT
“Good food, terrible layout”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for a nice, simple lunch together and the food was very good -- I had a cheese plate and my husband had the risotto balls. Amazingly, we didn't finish everything and took some home for later. We definitely didn't expect generous portions and we though they were worth the price for the quality for Westport. But maybe there was another reason we just wanted to get out. This is a very small place and the tables are way too close together. We were seated next to some people who might as well be Shakespearean actors as they, er, projected big time. So loud. Talking about really personal things (seemed like a divorced dad and his college-age daughter hashing things out), cell phones answered, texts, etc. I really have to wonder if we'd been seated next to more courteous people the experience would have been better. But I don't think I'll find out.

1 Thank BptGirl

Hartford, Connecticut
“A lovely way to spend our anniversary”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband I spent our anniversary here and had a truly remarkable meal. Yes the restaurant is small and cramped and the tables and chairs aren't that comfortable...but who cares. With room for only 30-ish they don't want you hanging around. It's all about the food and the food was spectacular. We split the foie gras. It was fantastic. I had the shrimp with cheddar grits, my husband had the pork rib chop. It was cooked to perfection and the collard greens had great flavor and acidity. But don't get too hung up on what we had...the menu changes frequently based on what is available from local farms and sources. BUT whatever you do....save room for dessert. The cornbread with bourbon gelato and candied bacon was divine and the white chocolate bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream had me wanting to lick the plate. Our server was attentive and made perfect wine suggestions. For a couple of food enthusiasts who like to celebrate special occasions with outstanding food, we chose wisely.

• Visited September 2012
Westport, Connecticut
“The best restaurant in town”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is the best restaurant in town. Really. The service is professional and friendly, the decor is casual yet still feels special and the wine list is well chosen (good cocktails, too). But it's all about the food here and you will not be disappointed, particularly if you are inclined to step outside the usual standbys that inundate Fairfield County dining. Each ingredient is well chosen, locally sourced and works brilliantly in the dish. I have often scratched my head to see something odd like granola paired with foie gras...and yet it works. If you are looking for the best restaurant in Westport (and, surrounding), you've found it in le Farm.

Westport, Connecticut
“Too uneven for the league they are in.”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Le Farm is a very small dining room over packed with tables and chairs. For a restaurant of this type and kind, that is truly mediocre. Please take out some tables and put in more comfortable chairs.

The four of us shared the Whipped chicken livers, bacon jam, whole grain bread;
Roasted sweet breads, 2 G's watercress, bacon, chicken jus, potatoes,
Grass fed beef marrow, parsley mustard, caramelized onion bread; and
LaCINATO kale, farro, dried cherries, dates, pistachios, aged white balsamic.

We then ate the Griddled pork belly, rst. corn, cukes, sun gold tomatoes, fried egg
Roasted hanger steak, snow peas, fried potatoes, radicchio, béarnaise sauce
Roasted LAMB NECK, pickled tomatoes, olives, rosemary fries, chimichurri, and
Roasted duck breast, peach butter, yellow beans, red beets, huckleberry vin

Clearly there is an enormous amount of technique demonstrated by the preparation of the dishes. Unfortunately the seasoning and spicing was uneven on several dishes. The livers, sweetbreads, port belly and steak were wonderful. The kale salad had no zing, and craves for some acid, seasoning and spicing. The marrow was tasteless coagulated fat. Please caramelize with intense heat and work out the seasoning and spicing. The duck breast was served in two over sized chunks of overcooked meat. The lamb neck needs to be rendered better with heat and seasoned and spiced better.

Clearly they were just having an off Saturday night, and maybe are showing a little burning out. Unfortunately the prices combined with the enormous amount of expertise and training of the chefs cause the restaurant to be judged in a league that makes this inexcusable. I am glad I ate there but I would not recommend the restaurant when these issues combine with their uncomfortable dining room.

Fairfield, Connecticut
“GO HERE NOW. Seriously.”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I've been to many restaurants in many places: born and raised in Manhattan and a food lover to boot, I'll go anywhere for good food. Yet by some stroke of gourmet fortune, my favorite restaurant of all-time (more than Blue Hill at Stone Barns, more than Union Square Cafe) is LeFarm.

Let me be clear, though: this is not food for the faint of heart. It's rich and deeply flavorful and often very meat-focused, though there are always excellent chicken and vegetarian options. The chef, Bill Taibe, makes an effort to get locally-sourced and seasonal ingredients, but what makes this restaurant so special is that most of his dishes are so much more of the sum of their parts, it's more like alchemy than cooking. He has a true gift for knowing what pairs with what to create a certain flavor or texture, and with most dishes, I find myself savoring every bite and wishing I could start the meal all over again. Both drinks and dessert are no exception: the mixed drinks are always worth trying (the Rooster Tail being one of the best mixed drinks I've ever consumed), and desserts are simply to die for - almost always a mix of sweet and savory, comfort food and new flavors.

We've been back 5 times, and I cannot say enough good things about this place. If you're in the area and want a special gourmand-type evening, this is your spot.

• Visited April 2012