“Amazing Wedding Experience!”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Water's Edge at the beginning of July and I have to say it was the best experience of our life. From the moment we first stepped foot on the property, we received the best customer service. We instantly knew that this was our wedding venue. Our whole wedding experience from planning out the wedding to our big day has been nothing but absolutely spectacular. Our wedding planners Joanna and Alyssa were topnotch and were consistently on top of everything from working out details to making sure our day went smooth as possible. We did not have to worry about one thing. Joanna and Alyssa handled everything with poise and class and made sure that my husband and I enjoyed our night as much as possible. Joanna and Alyssa are the best wedding planners and we couldn't have asked for two better people to assist us! The Water's Edge went above and beyond to make sure we had what we wanted for our special day. The food was excellent and definitely exceeded our expectations. All of our guests at our wedding were in complete awe and still are complimenting how amazing our wedding was! Hands down the Water's Edge is the most fabulous wedding venue in Connecticut! My husband and I are in love with the Water's Edge and will make it a point to go back for every anniversary. We totally recommend having your wedding at the Water's Edge!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jmannino10

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Enjoyed a three day stay at the Villas at Water's Edge. Villa was direct oceanfront and on the top floor. Enjoyed sweeping views of the bay from our balcony. Two bedroom/ two bath villa was new and very modern, with no expense spared. Kitchen was equipped with Viking appliances and fully stocked. Decor was in soft ocean palettes of turquoise and blues. Staff was friendly and at beck and call. Resort is gorgeous with meticulously kept grounds. Would definitely return soon.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in an oceanfront villa!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rozydozy
Reviewed July 1, 2014

So went went to this place for a wedding.
Initially, we made reservations for 3 rooms, 6 people, and it was going to cost me $2G to just "be there" so we changed to a local sleep inn, which was 1/3 of the price....then changed back to the resort for 1 night, 1 villa.
The setting is beautiful and overall the place is very well maintained. No dilapidated stuff, rust, run down fixtures.
Mixed feelings about the rest. I would possibly go back.
We ate at the main restaurant for brunch first day. We waited by the hostess stand for about 5 min while the kid wrestled with some malcontent on the phone but she didn't even acknowledge us; we finally caught the eye of the manager who looked a bit harried (not a good thing that early with only 4-5 tables busy) who was helpful and sat us. From there things were better. A very pleasant (and also a bit harried) waitress was prompt, helpful, friendly and quick. Food was good - salads, fries, soft drinks. No complaints. I got a turkey and brie sandwich which was very good. Yes, expensive. You don't want expensive? Don't stay at at $250/night resort. I had no quibble with the price but it wasn't the dollar menu @ Mickey' D's. Actually it wasn't expensive, it was appropriate, like $12 for the sandwich and fries.
We walked around the grounds a bit; our villa was right on the water overlooking the LI Sound and pool. The villa had 2 rooms, full kitchen, balcony, 2 baths, large living area and a pull out couch; slept 6. it was immaculate. Clean, fresh, Viking fridge, waterfall shower, comfortable clean beds. I give the room 5 stars. I coulda stayed there a month. Very relaxing.
A bit later, late afternoon we went to the bar by the pool.. Again, service was ...meh....I think the problem is that this place is not owned by a chain which gets customer service; I think these were almost entirely college or high school kids working summer jobs. They were OK, not dismissive, just a bit overworked and slow. that was a consensus from many of our fellow guests. And if I were the management I'd give this a long look. Often took 10-15 min just to be greeted or served.
Not world class but not horrendous.

The wedding...
Wedding went off without a hitch. Outside. Helpful staff; they shuttled the elders around on golf carts. One thing to keep in mind about this place, in general, is it is not a good place to be unsteady on your feet or drunk. Lots of stairs, lots of flagstone, easy to fall. Just an FYI. Ambulance chaser lawyers - piss off.....Anyway...I think the wedding went very well.
However, and this is the main beef: The food at the wedding was appetizers served outside, which was done well, a little crowded and they tended to run out of stuff a bit; good bar but I ordered whiskey sours here and at the reception and both were nearly undrinkable. I don't think the bartenders had the slightest idea how to make them. At the dinner, they forgot to put out bread; the appetizer was a small plate of pasta with vodka sauce; honestly, there were about 20 pieces of pasta and the sauce was room temperature. How tough is it to do pasta? Then the caesar salads were good but the serving was so small it was like something from a 1960's starvation diet. I mean, I bet there were fewer pieces of lettuce than pasta. And there wasn't enough dressing for the table. I mean, folks, pasta and lettuce are cheap. I know my brother paid a good price for this wedding, and it went off memorably, but honestly. Gouging people on the appetizer and salad? At least the salad was very good, both bites of it...
The main course was pretty good but again embarassingly small for a place like this. Mashed potatoes, OK, fine, but a small scoop, excellent filet mignon (that was the consensus, although a bit coolish), and a lobster tail with crabmeat. Half the servings didn't have melted butter. Not a big deal as I like my lobster plain but for traditionalists it was fairly inconvenient. But overall it was Good. Coulda been like wow! Dessert; the cookies were fine, and the piece of wedding cake was about the size of a fig newton. Coffee service - they forgot half of us.

The room was excellent, again, the facilities, toilets, clean and covenient. Next morning was a very good brunch.

So as you can see I gave it a 4; none of us were horrified, but with a little effort this place could have food and service that matched the views and locations and you'd have a justifiable claim at a world class resort.

Room Tip: We were in the villas, waterside, all of them face the Long Island Sound and the pool, which was not...
3  Thank chimayred
Reviewed June 29, 2014

we returned to this beautiful resort after a 9 year hiatus and were very much disappointed.The facility remains very impressive but there the accolades stop.The service is second rate. the facility was overbooked so we were unable to find seat at pool. likewise the beach was overcrowded with very little shade provided. the biggest slide was in the quality of food service and quality. the restaurant served food which several in our party found inedible. the service was equally poor overworked and understaffed. at $400 per nite we expected more.The rooms were nice but old and need modernization.

Room Tip: Go elsewere
4  Thank Ross5180
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Water's Edge offers some of Connecticut's best best vacationing/dining/event options. The views can't be beat. We've had several family events here and all have been handled wonderfully. The food is always excellent and the service very good.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I took a very spontaneous trip after a funeral near Boston. We had not investigated the property before booking - but we were ok to try and see. To be fair, this is a very old facility attached to some 'new' pieces. You can rent a regular Room from this facility or one of the newer condos. The townhomes also looked dated. I don't know if it was a time share or some form of owner/rental, but we are only rating the 'resort' piece

CONS:
1. We paid $400 (way way too much) for a 'water' view room. The room was dated, had a mildew smell, and had a balcony which actually was obstructed from a nice water view by roof peaks from whatever was downstairs. The balcony chairs were dirty and cheap with no tables or really any reason to sit outside - as when you sat down - you really couldn't see the water. The toilet RAN ALL night in our room. It was fine when we first got into the room, but somewhere around 2am - it just started to flush by itself. My husband and I both were up most of the night trying to giggle the handle and stop the sounds. NOT very restful. When we mentioned this upon check out - we were told - oh - so sorry about that.
2. As we were checking out - I heard the front desk personnel book a regular room for $79 for a sunday night. I realize weekends are 'pricing opportunities', but Sunday being 1/4 the price seemed odd. So - was unsure how pricing really worked. The website suggested 139 - 339 per night.
3. The beach area was dirty, small and many chairs were missing slats. We sat at the beach for awhile and never saw any of the 'bar waitresses' which we heard were available. We then sat at the pool on a saturday and the bar waitress asked the person next to us if they wanted a drink - and then walked away. Didn't even ask us - and we were reading - so not at all unapproachable.
4. We ordered lunch from the bar near the pool. Our waitress was new - and very sweet - but it took over 45 minutes to get a pre-made wrap sandwich - which the wrap was soggy given they were made in advance. She gave us our lunch - but no napkins. I waited for a bit, but then got up and got some myself from the bar for us and the table next to us - who also didn't have napkins - and they were almost finished with their food.
5. The Service was also very slow at the sunset bar - which you don't see the sunset. It sets behind one of the new buildings they put up. So no sunset view. Once the sun started to set - the nats and bug were out and biting. I didn't bring bug spray but saw many people spraying away from the crowd. Bring bug spray for evening - as the beach was filled with nats.

PROS:
1. Service was slow but everyone was very nice. It looked like alot of college students on break. They were very cordial, smiled and were trying to make everything nice. I give them a 5 for 'effort' in that area - from the bellman, front desk and service.
2. Their food quality was very good at the restaurant inside. The breakfast was nice - with the eggs and hash browns. The chips and salsa at the outside restaurant were very stale - but I know those kinds of products are hard to keep fresh around humidity.
3. Lots of different ages of people and families. There was a great mix of people overall at the facility - which also hosted weddings.
4. The water was freezing, but when it is low tide, you can actually walk out about 1/4 mile in the water to a small deserted island in the sound. Just don't go after 2 - as the tide starts to roll in and you could be stuck on the island !!

Overall, I was not impressed based on the price. At 79 per night - I probably would have given them 4 stars as this was about the range of cost I would expect for the quality. But 400+ per night for the quality room we stayed in was very very overpriced in my book.

Room Tip: Don't overpay for the 'water' view with a balcony. Look into the condos or townhouses...
3  Thank Lori S
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife booked a two night getaway for us at Waters Edge. She requested a water view. We found the room down a narrow hallway with dated wall paper and dingy carpet. The view was amazing however the room smelled strongly of burgers and hot dogs and the balcony was unusable because of the smell from the kitchen. We didn't complain at that point as we were tired. I noticed outside our room on the floor was a dinner napkin and a dirty plate. That stayed there all afternoon, all night and was removed the next day when I mentioned it to the front desk. Later that day a dinner napkin showed up in the same spot and was still there when we left the following day. I wonder how many staff people walked past that and ignored it. Saturday morning, our third and final day I mentioned to the front desk that the other parts of the facility seemed renovated and nicer. She replyed that we were in the old section. I said why we were not in the newer section and she said the view is better in our room. I said it smells bad and I would not stay here again based on that room. She smiled and said "sorry". That's all.
Food and service in the restaurant was fine, the grounds are gorgeous.
We had booked massages for our second day there. Mine was ok, my wife's was terrible, the therapist talked too much, didn't listen and was not skilled. I spoke to the manager and he quickly agreed to remove her massage from our bill. There were other negatives about the spa but enoughs enough. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Best not to stay in the old section.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank James S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#4 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook
Westbrook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!