“Happy New Year at the Water's Edge Resort and Spa!”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a timeshare 1 bedroom unit for a week starting Dec. 27th. It was very nice and so spacious. Our unit slept 6 and was on two floors. In addition to the one bedroom on the main floor there was a spacious loft area upstairs with two twin beds, slanted ceilings, no tv and no bathroom but that was not needed for the two of us.

We had friends meet us for Sunday brunch, at the restaurant. I had no idea how long we had been at the brunch until we were finished. The wait staff was very gracious and kept filling our glasses with fresh orange juice and coffee, as we made repeated trips for the food.

We also had dinner there on New Years Eve, for the early seating. Again the food was delicious and the wait staff couldn't have been more attentive. If they have had issues with not enough help in the past at holiday meals as mentioned by others, I can only say they have learned from that and fully corrected the situation.

The spa is beautiful! We do not take advantage of the spas enough when we travel, but I think our visit to the Water's Edge has changed that. We both had a wonderful Swedish massage.
The gym was great and had a variety and good number of pieces of equipment.

The grounds were decorated beautifully for the holidays. I love the white lights on the trees!

There is lots to do in the area, even in the winter. We did some shopping at the nearby outlets. We also made our first trip to Mohegan Sun.The Water's Edge Resort is a great location for day trips of all kinds. We will definitely be back and hopefully that will be sooner than later!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Recently went back to the Water's Edge to meet up with a co-worker that was traveling from Boston. It's a convenient location, half way between NYC and Boston, it was a no brainer. It was a very cold day when I arrived and to my pleasure there was a smiling face standing at the valet podium greeting me. Before I knew it my bags were out of the car and the valet had taken my keys so that he could park it. I was looking forward to warming up in front of the usual fire they have going in the lobby, but I was informed that they were in the middle of redoing the chimney, so no fire. But the front desk agent pointed out that I had arrived just in time to see the beautiful sunset, she literally walked out from behind the front desk to show me the best spot to catch a glimpse of the sky turning incredible shades of pink and orange. Gorgeous!!

These are the small but important reasons I enjoy staying at the Water's Edge--Their staff is amazing and always there to make your stay as pleasurable as possible.

After checking into my very comfortable room and taking a quick power nap, I love the soft bedding they use, I met up with my co-worker and we headed out to dinner. Since I've eaten several times in the main restaurant of the hotel (and enjoyed every time) I thought I should try something new. The front desk staff was very helpful in deciding where to eat (they keep an extensive list of restaurants in the area) We were headed to a highly recommended restaurant called Copper Beach, but then we decided to stay closer to the hotel and went to Cafe Routier. AMAZING dinner is all I can say, you must try this place. You need reservations, it's upscale and worth every penny, with an amazing menu and top rated service!!

This was a quick over night business oriented trip. I just wanted to say that this place is a diamond in the rough. You will have a wonderful stay...but if you have any problems go directly to the front desk, they are amazing and always helpful.

Will be heading back soon, but for longer!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheryl M
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Recently my family and I stayed at the Water's Edge, this is our fifth stay and expected only the best and that's what we got. To our delight one of our favorite front desk people was working, Alexis. She remembered us from past stays and immediately put us into our favorite room, room 329--a corner room with extra space, great light and nice and quiet.

I have to say this is one of my favorite places and I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to enjoy a casual family relaxed night or two. We stayed on a package called the "Night to remember," you can't beat it! An over night stay and a $100 credit in the restaurant or bar for a total of $214!!

The restaurant has always been welcoming, even with two kids we have always felt that the staff goes out of their way to give us a pleasant experience. The food is excellent in the main restaurant, but I also like to eat in their bistro where you can get a light fair for an excellent price. The restaurant manager, John, is delightful and always there when we have a question or need assistance.

I would highly recommend the Water's Edge to anyone looking for a great time, good food, excellent service and a great price! I also want to mention the new front desk manager Nicole, who runs a great front desk! Thanks for always making our stays great!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alice k
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I'm giving this review a 3 based on all of my experiences there, but in reality my most recent experience was closer to a 1. I have never stayed at the hotel and my post is only about the restaurant.

My family lives in the area and we often go to the restaurant to celebrate an event or for a holiday meal. In fact, we had been to the restaurant with a large group just 3 weeks before on a quiet night and the service was friendly enough, the food was good, and the drinks were fantastic. After such a good time there a few weeks earlier and very recent family tragedy, we wanted to skip the stress of the holiday and have our meal out at the Water's Edge.

We had made a reservation days in advance and were asked when booking if everyone in our party could handle a staircase. No issues, we are familiar with the dining room and its huge staircase, so we were led to believe we would be seated in the formal dining area.

We arrived on time for our reservation, hungry and ready for the buffet. We were standing in front of the hostess's podium awkwardly because the hostess, Racquelle, did NOT greet us at first and instead was complaining about the busy day to her nearby coworker -- "is it over?" When we finally got her attention, she told us we would have to wait 20-25 minutes for our table. Many others were waiting in the lobby, so we chose to sit at the bar and wait. We were understanding of the initial wait because of the holiday, and we were pleased with the lady bartender (the one with all the tattoos) who was friendly, professional, and made good cocktails. After about 45 minutes of waiting, we started to get confused and worried as everyone else who had been waiting at the bar after us had already been seated and also we were confused by the amount of empty tables at the restaurant. This became very stressful for my already fragile family. We checked in with Racquelle and when she finally decided to give us her attention she told us our table was being prepared. Finally, a half hour later, an hour and fifteen minutes after our reservation was scheduled for, we were seated in the bar area!? And when we finally got to the buffet, it was so packed it just gave us even more anxiety. The food was ok, our server was frazzled, and the desserts were severely lacking. No pumpkin/apple pie? Is this Thanksgiving?

All in all, extremely disappointing. We were expecting a stress-free meal and instead were treated rudely and got even more anxiety. Do not go on a big holiday -- If I could do it again, I would head elsewhere -- perhaps Salt at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa close by where the workers aren't complaining in your face.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank skybertha
Reviewed December 4, 2013

stayed here this past summer (2013).
they have awesome looking grounds however its extremely expensive to stay there.
they cater to the wealthy which explains why they were indifferent to my wife and i.
all except for the two gentlemen who checked us in were indifferent.
those guys were great. i think one was a manager, very nice.
The interior was not bad nothing special. average time share furniture. not bad though.
we had a leak that ran down the chimney wall on to the middle of the living room floor. about 2 am in the morning. very inconvenient.
the sent a man with a bucket. which happed to be the only person of color that i saw the entire week there.
the next morning they sent two workers to fix . we checked out.
they were not concerned with even apologizing to us because of our inconvenience at the front desk.
we convinced them that a refund of our wi-fi fee ( approx 20 bucks or so) was appropriate at least.
that typified the experience. they felt no need to try to accomodate us or make us comfortable in any way at all.
the beach is un-welcoming. rough and shallow; really not a beach.
tennis court is up the road and across the street ( be careful), busy road.
we were as underwelmed with them as they were with us.
all in all you could easily avoid this place and go somewhere, where you could feel appreciated or even acknowleged.
the immaculate grounds could not cover up for the tragically expensive restaurant, very average interior, and cold reception from staff.
indifferent!

Room Tip: upper rooms leak and stairs were very dirty leading to room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank kjones160974
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I grew up in the area and have never stayed at Water's Edge before. On a recent holiday visit home, my husband and I elected to stay at the water's edge. The hotel was not at capacity which is why I can't figure out why they put us in what I have to imagine is the worst room there- Room 212. We were literally directly over the lobby and next to the open stairwell. All night long, you could hear groups of people gathered in the lobby talking loudly, people running up and down the stairs, and the band playing in the bar may as well have been in the room with us. If i stay there again, I would only do so if I was in a room that wasn't practically in the lobby and I would recommend this hotel to avoid putting people in that room unless they are fully booked. Not quite the peaceful, relaxing evening we were looking for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jamiemango
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was there for a wedding reception. Food is awesome as well as services, their restaurant and reception staff were very friendly! I found the price was worth the services received, please keep it up.

Room Tip: A view of the sound.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maggy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Greenport
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!