“Just below expectations every time. ”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Good views. Great staff. That is the extent of the pros. The cons include: overly pricey meals, meals that taste reheated or precooked, and a lack of "fresh" ingredients. I've been here many times, always as a guest. I've used the spa, pool, and workout area and found those lacking in the same way as the restaurant. While everything always appears nice, you just never get the content or quality that you might expect from such a place. If it were the only game in town it would be fine, but the shoreline just has so much more to offer.

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank climberchica

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a gorgeous spot for a relaxing weekend, a special dinner, or an event. While the service was sometimes lacking, the two bright spots were servers Ryan and Michael. Ryan went out of his way to assist me, doing so with flare and genuine friendliness. Michael was also courteous and attentive. Because of them, I left with a great feeling and a desire to return. Thanks guys!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea R
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Feels like a mini-resort very close to home. The grounds are so pretty and everything right there on premises ... pool, restaurant, beach, fitness center, even shops. Excellent location. Local restaurants were wonderful. Although not on the ocean, but rather the bay, it is an ideal spot for families or couples looking for a few days of relaxation in the sun. My only suggestion to the management would be, although the service was good and all employees attempted to please, those who were present seemed overworked and undertrained... but they earnestly tried and did a decent job. Our suite was immaculate and comfortable; the common areas needed better housekeeping.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maria F
Reviewed October 15, 2013

For my birthday we went for a drive along the shoreline after attending a classic & antique car show at Saybrook Point. We stopped here for lunch and were able to get the last seating at 2:30. Our meals were superb! Pedro our server assisted me when ordering my entree which was a home run. Another server Michael with a great sense of humor helped me with an internet connection. We were not rushed even though the kitchen closes at 3. Will definitely return and may order the exact same meal. Stunning ocean views in an elegant setting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Water's Edge for our anniversary for 10 years. This year we decided to take the kids, who were 2 & 3. The staff was very accommodating, clearly understanding the needs of parents wrangling toddlers. The kids loved the indoor pool, outdoor pool, and beach. While my husband was enjoying a hot rock massage in the spa, the kids and I headed off to the beach. When the staff saw me juggling two small children, beach bag, towels, cooler, and toys, they immediately helped us find a spot on the beach and set up an umbrella and chairs for us. Swim diapers are allowed in the pools for babies. The food is consistent and the drinks are great. The kids especially enjoyed the smoothies and the strawberry shortcake. We have visited in the summer as well as the winter. In winter, guests can still enjoy the spa and indoor pool. My only complaint is that our food order was wrong just about every day at the outside restaurant. They always corrected order and apologized. No complaints about the spa, however. The staff is friendly and professional, the atmosphere is soothing, and the treatments leave you feeling completely relaxed. Overall, a great treat for anyone looking to be pampered ocean-side.

Room Tip: If staying in the main building, rooms on the top floor are the quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed one 1 night. They put me in a room over the outside terrace. I had my 3 yr old grand daughter w me. She didn't sleep all night. I asked if we could stay another hour at ck out because she was still asleep. They told me no. At 6 pm we had dinner and walked around. My GD saw a glass case with cupcakes in it. I asked the server if we could come back an hour later to get one for her. The said they are opened all night.
1 hour later it was closed, but I was told to go to the bar they had the key. 45 mins later they couldn't find the key. I had to get in my car and drive off site to get the baby a donut because they promised they would be opened. They just don't cater to small children. Better off staying in the next town, it's only a 10 min ride w better hotels.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MineinUSA
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you're looking for a family friendly resort with a beach and a good New England location, this is the place for you. If, however, you're looking for a high-end resort with excellent service and amenities, and a comfortable, peaceful spot on that beach, stay away. The location near outlet malls is great and the daily breakfast buffet is excellent. But the beach is very crowded and noisy and finding a quiet spot was a chore every day. Also, the beach concession ran out of umbrellas by 11:00 a.m. In addition, there were no chairs or tissues in our room, we had to ask for soap several times, and many of the college kid staff members were obviously waiting for the summer to pass (though some were very good). The property itself is large and very nice and there are good restaurants in nearby towns. Still, the negatives outweigh the positives and we won't return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joel G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Sound View Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#1 of 7 in Greenport

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!