“Beautiful place that if they had the right management could be exceptional.”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The resort has a great location and gorgeous grounds. If the service was more attentive at the pool bar (ie they need more than 1 or 2 waitresses), if the pool had a lifeguard and cleaner rooms and restrooms, it could be 5 star easily. Unfortunately there are those bad apples regarding service like the sunset bar manager woman but then you get wonderful offsets like Alexis at reception and great employees such as Michael, Ryan and Wilmer for breakfast! When we arrived there was no explanation of the grounds nor of daily activities nor of local area activities. We had to keep asking until we found a person with knowledge - Alexis!!. After a couple of days of figuring things out on our own, we had a good time. They had activities for the kids by the beach which were great and should be part of a welcome package or there should be a daily activity sheet sent to the rooms. To wrap it up, management needs to reassess the number of employees and to pay closer attention to details such as more waitresses and waiters at outside bars and a concierge with a welcome package! Our room was a great size for 4 people. Unfortunately, the room smelled like smoke even though nonsmoking room. When we notified the front desk they offered to move us. We suggest a day or 2 at Mystic to see the seaport and aquarium. A must stop for eats are the Griswald inn and Gabriella's.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Liliana132

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have several times stayed overnight, had Sunday brunch a few times and have never been disappointed. My husband and I went to a concert at Foxwoods Casino (Aerosmith, WOW) and stayed at Water's Edge after the show, which is mid way from casino to our home. The grounds are gorgeous, food very good and scenery just beautiful. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, pillows also great. My only minor complaint is I saw room service dirty dishes in hallway at night, and they were still there in morning. I just read some not so great reviews, and have totally opposite review as we had a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed in main building, 3rd floor above check-in desk and have no complaints.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim F
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I wrote a review a couple of years ago...However, we returned over the 4th of July Weekend..and I feel impelled to write again!..They now have a bar/cafe on the Beach itself..There are tables & chairs under umbrellas..and you can enjoy a light lunch or drink..as you look out at the ocean and feel the cool ocean breeze.
We stayed at the hotel..rooms were spacious and clean..The Resort itself is lovely..
However, in my opinion..No matter how beautiful the resort or grounds may be, .a lasting impression is always the personnel..
I have to say..everyone we came in contact with...greeted us with a welcoming smile and were attentive and helpful. Katelyn (at the Reservation desk) was very patient & kind not only when I made our reservations but also when we arrived. . The Waiters Mike and Ryan were fantastic. Jay the maintenance guy was not only personable but did a great job...
We had lunch & breakfast in the lovely dining room. .I must say My husband's lobster roll was not only large but one of the best he has had..The Breakfast buffet was also a treat..A great assortment of food..plus made to order omelets that were wonderfully light. Looking forward to a return visit soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 33833Marie
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our favorite place to dine all year round, we love Watersedge. We have never been
disappointed. I have read some of the mean reviews, and I wonder if they are not
from other establishments in the area trying to take business away from Watersedge.
We love the Sunday brunch it is just fantastic. The service is great and the food
delicious and abundant. We use the pool on weekends, and the children love the
advantage of the ocean water and the pool. I cannot say enough positive things about
Watersedge. Try it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank quiltspinner
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading so many dissapointing reviews, I was a guest over the July 4th holiday. I really have to say they exceeded my expectations, perhaps during the summer they are fully staffed which lead to a better experience.
Nothing is perfect, but the hotel was clean, service Ok , they could have had more lounge chairs at the beach and pool. But I would return

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mark f
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We've stayed here both in the hotel and the timeshare condo. Wonderful accommodations. Great service. Well appointed rooms. Don't miss the Sunday brunch....delicious!!!!! When we stayed in the condo, any problems were taken care of quickly. (Nothing major, tv adjustment and backed up toilet). Looking forward to our next stay at this beautiful resort on the Long Island Sound.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia E
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Need better pool bar management. Waitress apologized and took responsibility which was only saving grace. Everyone wax waiting and not being served. That is when management gets off their behinds and makes their job meaningful.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank shoreviews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#4 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Old Saybrook
Westbrook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!