“Won't return”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Won't return”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I had stayed the Water's Edge twice prior to this visit on Easter weekend. We found our most recent visit very disappointing. I had purchased a gift card to the Copper Beech Inn in Ivoryton as a Valentine gift for my husband. When we called to book our visit we found out the Copper Beech Inn had been sold and was closed for renovations. The message advised to consider their sister property, the Water's Edge. Disappointed that the Copper Beech was unavailable, we decided to book the Water's Edge ( we are relocating to the south in May so we thought we should use the gift card before we moved). Upon contacting the Water's Edge, we were told they would be pleased to take our gift card and we booked a package for Easter weekend.

Check In
We checked in late afternoon on March 30. We provided our gift card as payment. The girl at the desk told us she would see what she could do and went in the back. The general manager appeared and told us we had two options.
1. Use our gift card, but forfeit approximately $40.00 because our package was less expensive than the gift card.
2. Pay for the package and use the gift card at Copper Beech another time.
We asked if the $40.00 could be used towards dinner or at the bar. The answer was no, the gift card was only good for the room. We decided to forfeit the $40. However, we were given a coupon for two free drinks at the bar.

The Room
We were given a room in the Fenwick house. The room was nice size but the furniture had large dings and looked very worn. Before leaving for dinner we decided to turn on the TV and check the weather. The TV didn't work. We called and asked that the TV be fixed. I noticed a coffeemaker which I thought was great except the cord wouldn't reach the electrical outlet. It was about two feet short!

Dinner
We ate dinner at the hotel dining room. We had a reservation for 5:30. We arrived around 5:20 and decided to wait to check in with the hostess since there were about 6 servers surrounding the hostess stand and we guessed they might be having a meeting about dinner that evening. After about 15 minutes we decided to check in with the hostess. As we approach the hostess stand the group of servers backed off a bit. As it turns out they were just chatting. We asked to be seated and were taken to a table with a lovely view. As I grabbed the arms of the chair to pull up to the table, one of the arms of the chair broken off in my hand! One of the servers came over and offered to switch my chair. We decided to change our table ( too much direct sun ) as well as the chair. Settled at our new table I opened the wine list menu to discover it was empty. When our server arrived I asked for a new wine list. We looked over the dining menu and the wine list and made our selections. While chatting and admiring the room I noticed the table next to us had quite a bit of food underneath it and a couple swizzle sticks. It was disappointing to see such a lack of detail in cleaning up. But our meal was excellent and our server Julie was great. So we were feeling a bit better about our visit.

Upon return to our room later the TV had been repaired, which added another positive note to our stay. The next morning I turned on the shower and waited for the water to warm up. And waited. And waited. But no hot water, not even warm water. I took a cold shower, my husband took a cold shower. Our positive feelings were gone. We were willing to forfeit $40 and deal with a few issues but a cold shower, we won't be back.

6 Thank lanahn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Killingworth, Connecticut
Reviewed March 31, 2013

When I made reservations for Easter Brunch, I clearly identified where I did not want to sit. That is just where the hostess attempted to seat us when a lovely table, overlooking the water, was available. When I pointed to the open table, we were seated there. Unfortunately, we waited quite a long time before someone came to take our drink order. By the way, coffee, hot tea and juice is included in the buffet. Order iced tea, as I did, and it becomes a fountain drink with a fountain drink charge. The buffet itself was good; some of the stations were re-positioned to allow for less congestion. A good assortment of dishes from the omelet, crepe, carving and pasta stations to the main entrees in chafing dishes, breakfast offerings, salad selections and fish. The dessert table seems to have shrunk from what I remember! Some platters were minus serving utensils and because, I assume the large crowd, platters needed to be replenished quicker than they were. Service was mediocre; had to ask for soiled plates to be removed and for clean set-ups. A pianist plays old standards but you must be seated in an area close enough to hear.

Kansas City
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in June 2012. Beautiful grounds, shallow "beach" water safe for younger kids. Beach side deli was great for lunch and drinks. Room was nice, spa was wonderful, staff was ok. Tons of things for the kids to do...collecting shells, crabs, wading (virtually no waves), building sandcastles, plus coordinated activities by the staff. Close to many local restaurants, shopping, etc. Nice coffee shop type breakfast for the mornings, juices, muffins, coffee, etc. We are not from the east coast and were on an extended family road trip, so we weren't familiar with the area and literally stopped here on a whim. Would go back again if we are ever "in the neighborhood".

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a view, however if you are booking ahead of time, I'm certain the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Huntington, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed a water view room and a lovely spa day at this resort on the water in Connecticut. The staff was very accommodating and the spa facilities very pleasant. The food offered at the restaurant had enough choices to make everyone happy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Connecticut
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Sunday brunch with another couple. We had a table with a nice view of the water. The buffet was served upstairs from where we sat, however, and we had to go up two flights of stairs to get there. The food choices were excellent. There was a station where you could have an omelet made with the ingredients you wanted, pastries, shrimp, a wide variety of food, all fresh tasting. We look forward to going again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank thinair6
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here in early March 2013 for work meetings. There were 30 people staying at the hotel, all reservations booked at the same time and the staff couldn't get beyond their reservation system. I arrived earlier than check in, understanding that it was early, I spoke to the front desk and headed off to the business center to keep myself occupied until the "rooms were ready". When I came back and found 4 others from our group checking in, I jump back on line and get up to the counter to find out that no rooms are available. They're joking right? Then they start to get snarky. What should I have expected from the front desk, maybe reconginizing me or remembering my name and to let me know why my specific room wasn't available, but no. I had to restate my information for them to look up my reservation. This happenened twice. Then to further the issues, I finally get a room in the late afternoon, I walk all the way to the room and the keys don't work, come on.... I couldn't believe the short sitedness of the front desk staff and being able to accomodate our group.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank spenquejr
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just wanted to thank the water's edge for making my 10th anniversary wonderful! We arrived at the hotel for a two night stay and were told that we were upgraded to a room with a balcony and a beautiful waterview--we opened the door and inside was a bottle of champagne with a note from the staff congratulating us on our anniversary (I think I mentioned it when I made the reservation.)
It happened to be the week of the big snow storm, so we were literally snowed in! At first I was worried, but it turned out to be the best thing. The hotel staff was also snowed in there and they were amazing, everyone had the best attitude.
We ate all our meals in the dinning room, and I would like to thank chef Jaime for all the amazing meals he prepared for us!
We would sit by the fireplace in the lobby, listen to music and drink wine all while watching the intense storm from our warm couch. The General Manager, Chris, was there and made himself available to all the guests. I just want to compliment him on his caring and sincere manner. We considered him a good friend friend by the end of our stay. If you ever need anything or have a problem, go directly to Chris--he's the best!
If you have any questions about booking a stay here, all I can say is "just do it!" it's a wonderful place with an amazing staff and a beautiful location!!

Room Tip: Go ahead and spend the extra cash for a waterview room, it's worth it! We were in 201 and I love...
3 Thank alice k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Pier Blue Guesthouse
#3 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Westbrook Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!