My husband and I had stayed the Water's Edge twice prior to this visit on Easter weekend. We found our most recent visit very disappointing. I had purchased a gift card to the Copper Beech Inn in Ivoryton as a Valentine gift for my husband. When we called to book our visit we found out the Copper Beech Inn had been sold and was closed for renovations. The message advised to consider their sister property, the Water's Edge. Disappointed that the Copper Beech was unavailable, we decided to book the Water's Edge ( we are relocating to the south in May so we thought we should use the gift card before we moved). Upon contacting the Water's Edge, we were told they would be pleased to take our gift card and we booked a package for Easter weekend.
We checked in late afternoon on March 30. We provided our gift card as payment. The girl at the desk told us she would see what she could do and went in the back. The general manager appeared and told us we had two options.
1. Use our gift card, but forfeit approximately $40.00 because our package was less expensive than the gift card.
2. Pay for the package and use the gift card at Copper Beech another time.
We asked if the $40.00 could be used towards dinner or at the bar. The answer was no, the gift card was only good for the room. We decided to forfeit the $40. However, we were given a coupon for two free drinks at the bar.
We were given a room in the Fenwick house. The room was nice size but the furniture had large dings and looked very worn. Before leaving for dinner we decided to turn on the TV and check the weather. The TV didn't work. We called and asked that the TV be fixed. I noticed a coffeemaker which I thought was great except the cord wouldn't reach the electrical outlet. It was about two feet short!
We ate dinner at the hotel dining room. We had a reservation for 5:30. We arrived around 5:20 and decided to wait to check in with the hostess since there were about 6 servers surrounding the hostess stand and we guessed they might be having a meeting about dinner that evening. After about 15 minutes we decided to check in with the hostess. As we approach the hostess stand the group of servers backed off a bit. As it turns out they were just chatting. We asked to be seated and were taken to a table with a lovely view. As I grabbed the arms of the chair to pull up to the table, one of the arms of the chair broken off in my hand! One of the servers came over and offered to switch my chair. We decided to change our table ( too much direct sun ) as well as the chair. Settled at our new table I opened the wine list menu to discover it was empty. When our server arrived I asked for a new wine list. We looked over the dining menu and the wine list and made our selections. While chatting and admiring the room I noticed the table next to us had quite a bit of food underneath it and a couple swizzle sticks. It was disappointing to see such a lack of detail in cleaning up. But our meal was excellent and our server Julie was great. So we were feeling a bit better about our visit.
Upon return to our room later the TV had been repaired, which added another positive note to our stay. The next morning I turned on the shower and waited for the water to warm up. And waited. And waited. But no hot water, not even warm water. I took a cold shower, my husband took a cold shower. Our positive feelings were gone. We were willing to forfeit $40 and deal with a few issues but a cold shower, we won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waters Edge Resort and Spa offers elegant accommodations, superb dining and a waterfront location, making us the premier choice in Westbrook CT hotels. Ideally situated for business and leisure travelers, families, groups and couples, Waters Edge Resort offers guests a historic experience in a breathtaking setting for the most unforgettable stays. Enjoy onsite dining when you stay with us, rejuvenating spa services, expansive event space and so much more on the Connecticut shoreline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Water's Edge Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Water`s Edge Resort And Spa
- Water`s Edge Hotel Westbrook
- Waters Edge Hotel