“Incredible view, great hotel”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Texarkana, Arkansas
“Incredible view, great hotel”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stay here every spring for the last 4 years -- both in time sharing (RCI) and the hotel. This is an excellent resort with a great view of the ocean. Many weddings a day happen during peak season so try not to get a bedroom adjacent to the gazebos. Loud music/guests can go on a bit late. Great bar and good restaurant.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank B L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We come to Water's Edge every year on a spa relaxation package. Restaurant is top notch, rooms are perfectly fine and spa is good depending on your masseuse. If you want an amazing deep tissue massage, make an appointment with Susan. We enjoy our yearly stay here. In the summer, you have a lovely beach on Long Island Sound. Rooms could use updating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I took advantage on the Nite away package that they were offering on their website. For $199 plus taxes we got a standard room and a $100 food credit. The room was clean and quiet. We took advantage of use of the pool and hot tub. We ate dinner at the main restaurant which was very good, sharing the charcuterie plate, I had the filet mignonette and he had the pork oso buco. Drinks were a little pricey so our bill came to a bit over the $100 but was simply added to our room charge. The staff was friendly and helpful and it was a nice relaxing night away.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jsmith8277
New England
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This place was totally uninspiring. The decor was dated, the layout of the property was awkward and the advertised specials left the staff seemingly confused. If you simply need a place to stay in the Westbrook area, this would be fine, however if you're hoping for the "WOW!" factor, don't bother going here. One of my travel pet-peeves is when a hotel advertises a special and upon your arrival, they feign total ignorance. In this case, The Water's Edge advertised
Sliders Wednesday
Try a variety of tasty sliders, prices from $7 - $9 a piece
Plus, all draft beer only $3 every Wednesday night.

When we arrived at the bar, we were told this special was from 5-7pm...Hmmm. What part of EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT did we miss??
Just a small annoyance. In the bigger scheme of things, go someplace else. This just isn't worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Darlyne J
MA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We came here for a wedding and stayed for three days/two nights.

The hotel was very pricey, but it was expected as it's a high-end resort, however it didn't really live up to its expectations. Walking in, the lobby was fancy and the check-in was quick and simple. The dining and bar areas were very nice with fountains and expensive art. Although the rooms were nice, it seemed like your basic hotel room--nothing too fancy.

The rooms were nothing special. They were your basic hotel room with two queen beds, a desk, tv, etc. One plus was that the rooms were connected, which was great for having events here.

The bathrooms were very nice with marble everything, lots of space, and a mountain of towels.

The dining was something to brag about. The food was top of the line and there were plenty of drinks. The bar was really nice as well, and although the kitchen closed around eleven at night, they provided you with snacks.

This is a great place for a large group of people for events. We wouldn't necessarily recommend coming here just for a place to stay--you could probably find a cheaper hotel with the same quality of stay (without the "high-end" parts)

Room Tip: Good for events, such as weddings!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I don't even know where to begin! Ok so my husband and I went to the watersedge in 2011 because I was pregnant and didn't want to fly so we cancelled our anniversary trip to Puerto Rico and found this resort. I called and asked that we be booked for a suite in the hotel. Well we got there and they put us in a room in the other building that stunk like mildew and old cigarette smell. We nicely reminded them of our request and they were horrible. The girl at the front desk rolled her eyes and have us such a hard time. It took half the day to get into a different room. The rest if the trip was one issue after another between room service taking forever and coming cold and the restaurant getting everything wrong. I felt like I was on candid camera!!!

Last August it was our anniversary and my husband and I didn't want to fly with a baby so we reluctantly went back to watersedge ( gluttons for punishment ). We felt it has to be better than last yr. so I make the reservation and tell them that I want one of the update ( that was a joke) rooms and I have an infant with me so I need a refrigerator. Well we get there and surprisingly we are booked in the newer side of the hotel yeah right? WRONG!! The room smelled like an ashtray and there was a man painting the hallway.. We went to the front desk and informed them of the situation.. They were completely rude and said that they are a nonsmoking hotel and the paint well they update all the time. We had a manager go to the room( after a two hour wait) and he said yes it stunk and they would spray... HELLO WE HAD AN INFANT WITH US.. This was unacceptable! They then gave us a room that the bed was up against the ac unit and the bell boy even laughed and said how ridiculous the room was.. Then they said they are booked solid so put us in that horrible othe building... The first room the door was broken and then finally they put us in a room- mind u I was moving around with suitcases a pck n play, stroller and baby for 6 hours in all!!

During our wait the owner came to say hello as did two managers who told us just relax have lunch and a drink- out lunch order was all wrong and they charged us... I WAS IN SHOCK...

The next few days was the same horrible service, nasty attitudes and a bad back because the bed was solo old and a mess but I couldn't sleep in the couch or floor because they were so old an smelled like mildew... Finally we packed to go home. We spoke to yet another manager who said she was well aware of what a mess the place is and how they are doing a complete overhaul of the customer service because it is a nightmare. So she sent us a certificate for a free stay.

I just went to book it because the location is wonderful.. Well Tom at the front desk was sooooo extremely rude when I was trying to book two rooms.. I actually took the certificate threw it and said excuse my language F*** this place- I refuse to spend a dollar there ever again.

The only thing that was nice about my stay was the spa- the women there are amazing and should be running that motel.. Yes I say motel because no hotel would be so disgusting and stink like mildew!'

• Stayed August 2012
12 Thank Travelerco101
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 4, 2013

In Sept 2012, my husband and I traveled to CT to get married at Water’s Edge and as much as I loved the thought of getting married there after visiting all other venues in the area, I now feel it was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

We had our wedding at Water's Edge on September 22, 2012 and based on the experience, and the customer care on the day of our wedding, I would consider it a small victory if I somehow convince other couples not to make the same mistake. Your wedding deserves better than what Water's Edge offers. It is a wedding factory, pure and simple. There is nothing special about your day to them, and that is exactly how you will be treated; like you were merely the next one coming off the assembly line. Not only is this a callous attitude, but it is a logistics nightmare just waiting to happen. If you have the misfortune of having your wedding day booked on the same day as other weddings (and you probably will), just pray that each ceremony begins and ends on time. They won't do any contingency planning to make sure delays in one wedding don't affect another; I am speaking from experience here. Our wedding was scheduled for 6:30pm, the previous at 5pm which was delayed. You fill in the rest.
Maybe if you're lucky, you'll get a wedding coordinator who can work under pressure and remain cool, who will not be overwhelmed by the event, who won't split time between your wedding and another, who won't forget major details that were pre-planned, won’t have a meltdown when confronted about the errors, and then disappear and never come back for the remainder of the evening; we were not so fortunate with Nancy as our coordinator. We had our seating arrangement changed without our knowledge or consent, by our coordinator, which resulted in some of our guests leaving before the reception; because it became apparent to them that there were no seats for them. We had people who were not a part of our wedding party partaking of our open bar and Viennese Table, and our Coordinator was nowhere to be found to help remedy the situation. We had to recruit family members to police the areas instead of Water's Edge staff. We were told, repeatedly, that we could eat our meals up in our room after the reception, and when we did finally arrive weary and hungry, there were no dinners to be found. We did get a container of desserts from the Viennese table as requested, and a piece of our wedding cake.
I guess we should be grateful for that slice of cake, since Water's Edge also managed to lose our Cake Top. Yes. They lost our cake top, the part of the cake that you traditionally freeze and pull out on your anniversary. Their response? "Hey we'll just send you another cake top". No big deal. Pageantry? Symbolism? Meaning? They're just words, they're not in the business of providing an unforgettable experience that you will cherish and enjoy, they are in the business of booking weddings. That's it. That's all that matters.
On Sept. 23rd, we called Nancy to discuss various issues we had. Nancy did offer to refund the meals that were not served and the dinners that were not brought up to our room. It was a start. It doesn’t compensate for everything that occurred on our special day but it was the least they could do.

I could go on and on about other problems and places were Water's Edge dropped the ball, but we directed those specifics to Chris Barstein the General Manager. Chris finally got back to us and invited my husband and I back to Water’s Edge to discuss a resolution. We were elated. I even updated my previous review about the scheduled meeting per Chris’ request, in good faith. We traveled back to CT to meet with him on 11/24. We mentioned a couple of things we thought about that would make up for the mishaps. He then mentioned various ways he could make it up to our guests that had to leave, make it up to family members that had to work the wedding after the coordinator left and never came back, and offered us possible opportunities to consider to gain new, more positive experiences with Water’s Edge, and probably the simplest of things, that our cake top would be replaced. He stated he wanted to make things right. We left that day feeling great, thankful that although we would never forget what happened, we could finally feel better about Water's Edge. My husband and I considered everything that was discussed, pulled some information together and emailed it to the GM for review/consideration the following week. NO RESPONSE. Upon trying to reach out to Chris several times, he has not returned any phone calls or emails. Absolutely no response of any kind to date. It’s February 2013 and we still have not heard from Chris or anyone else at Water’s Edge, no more discussion about resolution for everything that happened on our wedding day. We were invited back to discuss resolution and now they are not returning any emails or phone calls to finalize anything that was discussed. Just when I thought I couldn’t possibly feel any worse about what should have been one of the best days/experiences of my life, about the place I chose to hold the most memorable day of my life, I do.

If you're reading this, please heed my advice, yes Water's Edge is picturesque (that's why we picked it also) but it's not worth it, it's just not worth it. There are other venues in CT that are just as picturesque where they will treat you and your ceremony with the attention to detail and respect it deserves. Your wedding is NOT just a transaction, but it will be at Water's Edge.
Visited September 2012

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank MZGTRAVEL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Quality Inn Old Saybrook - Westbrook
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!