“Disappointing”

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Reviewed July 30, 2012

From the snotty front desk staff, to the micro strip "beach" to the mediocre dinner buffet - what a disappointment. Lots of faux luxury but not much true elegance. Only food option in the morning was another overpriced buffet. Pretty setting on the sound and room was comfortable (but hardly worth the price), but I won't return.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank clarefd

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a horrible experience at this resort back in December. It took me some time to contact the manager and he said he would compliment me and my sister another night. We stayed there last week and it was FABULOUS! The beach and pool are relaxing and easily accessible from anywhere on the grounds. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Thank you for making a bad experience into a great experience.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have been to Water's Edge twice. First time back in October 2011 for a week on a timeshare deal. The accomodations were okay but worn and old. It was a 1 bedroom sweet. My dining experinces, spa experiences, and general all around amenities including Valet service were the worst I have ever experienced in what I was expecting to be a relaxing, upscale spa vacation. Upon my return home, I wrote to the General Manager with a short note just saying how dissapointed I was, and to my surprise he was attentive and concerned and wanted to know the details of my experience which I then proceeded to provide him with. He was gracious enough to give me the opportunity to come to the spa again at a convenient time once again, and provided me with an overnight stay for 2 with dinner and a massage included. I thought that was very nice and told him I would take him up on it when I got the chance. I just returned last night from my overnight stay 9 months after my initial visit. I have to say that there were some improvements in the service, although blunders were made and they really need some training on office staff. The regulars at the front desk seemed sweet enough but a woman came out of the back room and helped me at check in but it was far from welcoming...and I'll leave it at that. My spa experience was wonderful this time. I frequently have massages and my last experience was the equivelant of having oil rubbed on me. I was told at the time if I wanted more pressure, it would be a "deep tissue" massage, not a a Swedish. This time the woman was courteous, asked me my preferences of pressure and gave me a wonderful massage. I was relaxed and less achey at the end. Dinner, although better than my last expereince was nothing to write home about. The filet mignon was very good, but ravioli app and braised beef ribs with risotto were a disappointment. No flavor...The wine selection by the glass was horrible and the glass I did get, I could tell had been open for awhile (it was starting to turn) but was not going complain at that point as I knew I would not ever be returning. Even on a "gratis" overnight, it infuriated me that had I paid, it wold have been over a $700.00 expense, and for that kind of "overnight" money, I want at least 4 star service! The place just needs a complete overhall. I'm guessing it's businesses and weddings that keep them in business at all...I will give them points for trying to make good on the horrific first experience I had, but unfortunately did not change enough for me to change my opinion.Too bad...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Linda S
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have to say that I stayed in one of the timeshare units, not the hotel. Usually when I trade in I get one of the less desirable units, but here I got the best unit in the place (in my opinion). It was a second floor end unit with water views from every window - beautiful. The unit was large with a sleeping loft for the kids. There are 3 restaurants on the property, a tiny beach and a busy outdoor pool. There is a really nice fitness center with an indoor pool, which was cooler than the outdoor one. It's conveniently located to attractions and 2 great outlet malls. Housekeeping came once which was fine with me, except they didn't really do very much. They did the beds and the bathroom but didn't leave any soap or do the dishes or straighten up like every other place I've ever stayed does. I also really missed having an oven to be able to fully utilize the kitchenette. And there was no TV upstairs in the sleep loft so the kids ended up sleeping on the pullout couch instead. The room could use some updating but it was clean and comfortable. My biggest complaint would be that I had to pay $25 for internet to have it in my room. Really? I can get it free in any cheap chain hotel!

2  Thank Aloha-lover
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I came here with our two small children. They loved the beach and since the water is so calm on this shore we felt at ease with them playing in the water by themselves. We got a good rate and the room was nice, but nothing special. Almost a B&B feel. Service is really slow! I think they are short staffed here. They did only charge $2.00 for room service, which is unheard of anywhere. Food is pretty good. I would go back here but only because the location right on the beach cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: If you are third floor ask for a room by elevator to avoid a looong walk to your room.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a fun, casual resturaunt that's great to bring family. The food is good and very reasonable. There is a great view of the water and live music. The service can be a little slow sometimes

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I hate to even review the seaside grill for fear of making it overcrowded. This casual restaurant offers lobster roll for $15 and a half rack of ribs for $10. The fish tacos are also good. You have a water view and live music on weekends. You can feel like you are on vacation ( or enjoy your vacation if you are) for a reasonable price.

1  Thank puffingirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Greenport
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!