“Best of the Shoreline”
Review of Cafe Routier

Cafe Routier
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Routier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Westbrook
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Wow! What an AMAZING place! The food, service, atmosphere were all great and it was a fantastic place to take my girlfriend for our 3rd anniversary. We started out with two great cocktails off of their inventive drink menu - the Dirty Devil for me (spicy! yum!) and the Aviation for her (delicious). Afterwards, we salivated over the menu and could not wait to order! She had the Beef Carpaccio (spicy and delicious) and I had the Crab and Asparagus soup - sort of a spin on an egg drop soup, it was great! For dinner she had the scallops (phenomenal - probably the BEST scallops I have ever eaten!) and I had the Pork - so juicy, so flavorful. We washed it down with a great bottle of Sauvignon Blanc - Attitude (recommended by our wonderful server - a nice young man). For dessert we split the Turtle Cake - man o man was it delicious!

Overall, a TEN, and I can't wait to go back for more!

1  Thank Danny P
There are newer reviews for Cafe Routier

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Had highest expectations for this shoreline mainstay, based on Zagat and those who know it. Except for the House Cut French Fries appetizer which were just what we thought would come the rest of my meal was a dismal failure. The green salad which had pineapple and jicama among other things had such a strong, vinegarey dressing that it made my mouth cringe at first bite. I seldom like dishes that I have to get used to the taste in order to tolerate and this was one of those meals.

The main was even more devasating. If the scallops were left alone they might have been very happy and so would I. But Fava beans and a pesto sauce that was nothing like I had ever tasted before made them swim away to one end of my plate (so to speak). The sauce was so strong -tasting, salty and spicey that it is indesribable.

When I mentioned the strong flavors to our server (who was great and the staff seems very nice and attentive) she said that perhaps the flavors are "somewhat assertive." I had never heard that descriptive for flavor and I heartily agreed as I tried to make sure that none of the green had dribbled on to my shirt.

My partner and I disagreed on the likeability of the chocolate cake, ice cream and chocolate sauce thing but it served to cleanse my tastebuds. As you may surmise I was already over the edge.

1  Thank mellow950
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went before a show for dinner saw the bar menu and wanted to order everything on it. We all had at least two items some had 4 and all were outstanding. I look forward to my next visit . The dinner menu is also excellent and worth having. The fried potatoes are a must as a app no matter what you order.

1  Thank steverA8718SU
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Everything went very well. The menu is now their Spring Menu.
The service was outstanding, the food was perfect, the noise level was good, and the overall dinner was one to remember.
We will return soon.

1  Thank Squawbrook
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I cannot say enough about this fabulous restaurant! Our food and service were just superb!! I expected it to be very good, but it was absolutely fantastic!! I started with the salad of greens, pears, goat cheese(so fresh and creamy!)and bacon with a terrific cider vinagrette dressing. It was an amazing blend of flavors!! So delicious! I then had the chicken and dumplings and they were out of this world! The dish arrived and was beautiful enough for the cover of a magazine! The chicken was crispy and was in a luscious brown sauce with pearl onions and tiny dumplings! It was one of the best chicken dishes I have ever had! Everyone else was just as pleased with their dinners, including my husband who had the trout in a mustard sauce with lyonnaise potatoes and onions! We then shared desserts, including their famous chocolate turtle cake which was also incredible! A perfect ending to an absolutely wonderful dinner!

2  Thank Susan D

Been to Cafe Routier? Share your experiences!