“A bad joke.”
Review of Creative Cooking Restaurant - CLOSED

Creative Cooking Restaurant
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2010

1st: I never write reviews. Too suggestive. But I will make an exception here.

Me and my visiting parents had the misfortune to come across this seemingly nice place few weeks ago, and it was absolutely terrible. We almost thought it was a joke.

In a nutshell:

-Instead of a bread basket, we got cracker with a cup of horseradish mustard. (just let it go if you are down to this, at this point, and serve nothing).
-We had burgers: The bread was cold and straight out of the bag from the fridge, the meat was unseasoned and place right on top of it, with a piece of tomato and lettuce. Would it have killed them to place the buns on the grill for 5 seconds, or to add salt and pepper?
-Me and my father in law had the Mahi Mahi burger. When it was served, the smell was so horrible that my wife and her mom could not eat their own meal. We did not get sick, but just the thought of it was horrible. My wife went to change our 14 months old doughter and came back saying the smell was better then our fish.

The only good thing about this is that we had a good laugh for the rest of the day with all sorts of "stinky" related jokes. In the end, it is not about the money, or the food itself, its about ruining what had been an almost perfect day for everybody.

This place does not have a trained cooked, that is the bottom line. Avoid at al cost.

1  Thank DLafrance

Reviewed August 23, 2010

For my birthday this year my husband and I stayed in Westbrook,CT; while there, on the recommendation of the staff and another couple at the bed & breakfast we stayed at, we decided to have lunch at the New Orleans Restaurant Creative Cooking... the experience was a nightmare.

First, I elected to order a burger. However, what I recieved was a pre-formed beef patty topped with burnt onions. I don't require that restaurants grind their own beef to make burgers but is it too much to ask the chef to make their own patties? What I was served was tasteless and akin to the kind of pre-formed beef patty you can get at the grocery store. It was nasty tasting. The coleslaw and potato salad were passable so I ended up eating that for my lunch. My husband ate half my burger because his dish was down right disgusting.

My husband ordered their puff shrimp with scallops and crawfish in an oyster sauce. It came with a sald and he actually enjoyed the dressing they had. So there are some redeemable qualities to the meal, until I reached over to my husband's plate and bit into a shrimp that was still semi-raw and cold. In fact, his entire plate was semi-raw and lukewarm at best. After waiting more than 5 minutes for our waitress to come by he caught her attention and asked that the plate be send back so the sea food could be cooked until finished. From where we were seated we could hear the chef banging things around in the kitchen and generally arguing with our waitress. 10 minutes later my husband received his plate back. The scallops were still raw in the middle and the rest of the food also still lukewarm. At this point my husband was turned off and wanted no more of the dish. When the waitress came by he told her he was still unhappy with the meal. She offered to take it back to the kitchen and have it warmed up, but he declined and asked for the check.

All that was eaten from his plate was half a shrimp and a couple crawfish. The check came out and his "meal" was still on it... $30 for the tasteless "thrown on a grill from a freezer box" burger and uneaten, undercooked seafood dish, rather than argue we paid for it and left. We ended up grabbing a burger on the interstate from McDonalds. Cold seafood might be fine for sushi but the restaurant was lacking in service and made no effort to actually correct our meal.

1  Thank knowsall5
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We attended on the first Sunday in Sept (2009) for an evening dinner and were delighted both with the standard of the food, the ambience and especially our server (Rose).

Two starters were ordered, the Chicken Gumbo and Crayfish Puff, both of which were amazing. The two main courses were a 16oz New york strip with garlic wasapi mashed potatoes with creamed spinach with a New Orleans artichoke sauce. The other main course was a Seafood Gumbo dinner which had among others, mussels scallops and shrimp in an amazing sauce, served over pasta. The steak was cooked to perfection and was delicious as were the potatoes. Both main courses came with a wonderfull salad with a choice of home made dressing, we opted for the blue cheese which was superb. Sufficient amounts of an excellent warm italian bread were kept on the table.

The seafood gumbo was so big, a "to go" box had to be asked for, which was brought in quick time by "Rose". As we left we noticed a sign stating that the restaurant does a Sunday Brunch whic is a buffet at a cost of $12 for adults and $6 for children

In our opinion, " Creative cooking " is probably the best value, restaurant on this part of the shoreline. The whole concept of a "New Orleans " style restaurant is amazing, and works very well, coupled with the wonderfull "Rose" and the other staff, this restaurant is a gem

Reviewed May 24, 2008

We were really looking forward to our dinner at Creative Cooking after reading the reviews.

Unfortunately the entire experience did not live up to the hype. The wait staff were kind and cordial, but not professional. When we initially entered the restaurant many of the staff were hanging out in the kitchen and around the bar (you have to walk through the kitchen to enter the restaurant).

In addition, the food left a bit to be desired. Of the two appetizers and two entress we received, none would be considered even average fare. Our Blackened Scallops appetizer was still raw in the center, the Wasabi Mashed Potatoes had no wasabi and the Crawfish Etouffe arrived overly salted and with the sauce already congealed.

The concept of this restaurant is fantastic, but the execution is lacking at best.

1  Thank CHOWE30
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Food is good. The dining room is quite lovely and the bar side is casual. Has a $12 Cajan Sunday Brunch. But the Chocolate Waffles, which are not on the brunch menu are awesome. Enjoy