“Bar with a great view!”

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Bar with a great view!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Sit on patio with a martini and eat lunch while watching the tide ebb & flow around Salt Island at Waters Edge Resort. The food is affordable & great!

Visited July 2013

Old Saybrook, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Uncomfortable Bar Experience”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had my (36 year old) best friend in town from Virginia for a night celebrating her husband making a huge milestone in the military so we came to Waters Edge for a drink. A male bartender asked us for our ids, she first handed him her Virginia license the man was evidently not pleased she said she also had her military ID, though he rudely said that's "unacceptable". ( I found that interesting when I was a military wife I never had a problem using my military ID as it is a government issued ID). He went to check with someone else and got the ok on her VA license now it was his turn to be rude to me-he asked for mine I give him my CT state ID. with even more irritation he asks "Why don't you have a drivers license?!" I was in shock but my friend told him "she's legally blind she can't drive a vehicle" he ROLLED HIS EYES. I was so offended and uncomfortable no one has ever been so insensitive towards me like that.
First of all, if he didn't believe our IDs were real then just don't serve us-easy as that even though we are well above 21 . In my opinion it isn't his business to ask why I don't have a license-that's personal, but when informed its a disability to react so rudely is quite disgusting and reflects poorly on waters edge.
Another point I'd like to make is Waters Edge is a resort and time share location-therefore people travel from all different places so either the staff should be trained properly how to check out of state IDs or if the bar is ONLY geared for CT locals a sign should be posted.
It's a shame that this beautiful resort has a bit of a reputation for its lack of customer service-I hope it can improve.

6 Thank Serendipity224