“Great little spot”

Ranked #5 of 36 Restaurants in Westbrook
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I loved this place, a bit small but worth it. The food is different and very good. Just a little diner type of place across from the Westbrook Ct green. Worth a try.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I'm sure there is a bit of rivalry between the two breakfast places in Westbrook (Turtle Cafe and Cristy's) but having eaten at both, I need to give the nod to Turtle Cafe (and since haven't returned to Cristy's). Bottom line: I feel Cristy's might give you more food but Turtle's food ultimately tastes better and has better food on the menu. Turtle doesn't skimp on the portions, just Cristy's gives you too much food.

I really enjoy Turtle Cafe and have enjoyed it by myself, with my girlfriend (as of this visit), with friends and with my family; any occasion, it has been extremely good. Ricky, the chef, is excellent; and watching him work, you feel like he should be at some gourmet restaurant rather than Turtle Cafe in little Westbrook, CT. (Please don't leave). His food is wonderful, his hash browns are the best I've had, and everything has some creativity to it.

The breakfast menu is phenomenal, and there are specials on the board when you walk in. Omelets are great value, something like 3 eggs and 3 choices for $8, inexpensive in the breakfast world. They also have frittatas, crepes, pancakes, waffles and breakfast sandwiches; everything is wonderful! I've had their frittatas, I've had crepes, I've had their omelets and I've had their breakfast burritos, everything is excellent. You can't go wrong.

Lastly, the place has charm and historical significance (at least in its name). The Turtle was the first submarine and built in Westbrook during the Revolutionary War. Its probably Westbrook's biggest contribution. And this little cafe is named after it. The locals are here too. I'm sorta like a local... I've been here every summer of my life; and you can sit up at the counter and chat with those next to you, and everyone is quite friendly.

I don't care if Cristy's has a big line and there's a long wait to get a table. I get seated right away at Turtle and the food is better; so where else am I going to go?

3  Thank SanForza
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a little restaurant with lots of flavor! Enjoy the casual atmosphere of a hometown diner, with the quality ingredients and tasty menu of a top rated gourmet restaurant. The menu is a range of delight, from your bacon and eggs with the best homefries, frittatas with goat cheese and caramelized onions, sweet and savory crepes, even the oatmeal is incredible! You can not beat this place for taste satisfaction, and the price is unbelievable! An amazing deal.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Less than half a mile south of I-95, exit #65. Stop and eat (breakfast and lunch, only) even if you are not stopping at the outlet mall.

Yes, it is a hole-in-the-wall. Yes, it's only charm is its small size (avoid sitting under the air conditioner in cool weather since the insulation leaks cold air). But, treat your stomach.

We stopped for lunch. I had the Singapore Chicken Wrap. Superb! Different, flavorful. My wife had the patty melt - very good. Since she likes her beef served RAW, it was a bit overdone for her taste.

Prices: very reasonable.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Very informal but with a brilliant chef. This is the best weekend brunch place between Guilford and Old Saybrook. Frittatas, crepes, omelets are the specialties. The homemade corned beef hash is a work of art. The muffins should probably be illegal, they are that good.

3  Thank James C

Been to Turtle Cafe? Share your experiences!