“NOT EVERYTHING IS AS IT APPEARS”

Lorenzo's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #15 of 155 Restaurants in West Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Milford, Connecticut
“NOT EVERYTHING IS AS IT APPEARS”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been to the old location up the street which was so-so. Not the greatest but not the worst either. More recently and at the recommendation of a friend, I took a client there to supper. With the exception of a couple of other patrons, the dining room was deserted. I've often heard it said that if a restaurant's bar is busier than the dining room, one should do an about face and leave. The waitstaff consisted of a few high school age kids who were anything but energetic. Considering the scant volume of business, we waited about 15 minutes for the menus. The waiter lacked all of the basic social skills, made no menu suggestions and was inattentive through the entire dinner. The food wasn't at all what I expected based on the recommendation. It looked as if it came out of a microwave, it was too salty and the portion was smaller than one might expect. A bread tray was not offered and when asked why, he said they were out of bread. Later, I gestured to the waiter who was preoccupied in a corner clowning around with another boy. I politely told him that the dinners were unacceptable and that we wanted to reselect something else from the menu. He said that they could not do that and if we chose to reorder something else, we would have to pay for both dinners. I asked to speak to the manager who came through a swinging door pushing a garbage can about 10 minutes later. He came off as being crude and inexperienced in dealing with the public. He was defensive about the food and reiterated what the waiter had already told us. He was adamant to the point of baligerance claiming that the dish in question was served all day without any complaints. I asked him if the portions were prepared in advance and frozen but he didn't reply. My guest suggested that we just leave and go to Starbuck's, which we did. On the way out, I asked a bar attendant who he was and he said "Marko". If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect that it's a front operation for something not on the up and up.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank JOHNNY1BOAT

Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“Great food, service a bit slow, a little loud”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went on a Saturday night and the place was packed. It took a while to get our drinks and although our waitress was friendly she had many tables to wait on and thus the service was a little slower than we would have liked. They had a kind of cheesy Frank Sinatra imitation singer doing karaoke and between that and the noise of the other diners it made it hard to conduct a conversation until the guy went on a break. Everyone liked their food (I had the lasagna, good but not spectacular). Prices were extremely reasonable and would go back again but perhaps on a less busy and noisy evening.

• Visited January 2013
Bridgeport, CT
“Such a pleasant dining surprise!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

After finding this restaurant after a short stint around West Haven, this place was a pleasant surprise. Since this was a "family" outing, pizza was on my mind and the pizza here was definitely a delicious choice! It wasn't oily or greasy, it wasn't flat and tasteless - it was absolutely delicious! So much so that I will be going back to try them for dinner!
Parking was ample and our server was very pleasant and accommodating! Yes, this was a pleasant surprise indeed!

• Visited November 2012
Northford, Connecticut, United States
“Great food”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We enjoyed a family birthday party in a private room. The service was excellent and the food was delicious

Visited September 2012
West Haven, Connecticut
“Won't be going back...”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our first experience was three years ago, when we first moved to West Haven. The meal was good, the service decent.
We often had take-out pizza, but found it too salty, and inconsistent.
Our last meal there was a real bummer.
We treated friends of ours to dinner, and we were embarassed by the slow and sloppy service,
and the mediocre food.
I know that this is a neighborhood staple, you can tell that many of the clients are well known to the staff---But I guess unless you are a regular, your experience will be spotty, at best.

• Visited September 2011