Econo Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
New Haven Hotel(New Haven)
  • Restaurant
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale(New Haven)
  • Room Service
Duncan Hotel(New Haven)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Even though the rooms at this hotel may have been recently renovated, new carpet or new furnishings don't disguise the fact that this hotel has seen better days. I wasn't a fan of the bullet-proof glass at the front desk--maybe it just speaks of the neighbourhood this hotel is in. The elevator and corridors leading to the rooms were in poor condition and made me feel like I was staying in some 'seedy' motel. My room was clean and overall it was just 'O.K.' Breakfast was adequate and frequently replenished (so if you came down for breakfast at 9:30, you would still find a good selection of pastries, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, and make-your-own waffles).

I think this hotel is a little over-priced for what you get. I could have stayed in a 3-star hotel in the area for about $20 more a night. I recommend spending the extra $20 and staying somewhere else--I know I will the next time I am in New Haven.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Yale_Alum
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Place is not the Hyatt but served it;s purpose.
I was on the road after a very long day and needed some rest, a beer, and a shower.
Stopped in to see the place looks newly renovated and the lobby looked nice.
Elevators are a little dated, and, takes you up to the 2nd floor only to find out there is an outside entrance into your room.
Rooms had good decor but one of the bed covers had a burn hole in it and the heater only went to 84 degrees. The restroom was renovated also and smelled fine and had hot water, a new toiler and new shower.
Overall, it is good for a one or two night stay.
Cant beat it for the price in the Northeast

Room Tip: Try rooms upstairs, If you dont want to go out try asking for takeout menus, they have them. Get double beds in case you dont like the bed coverings.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Where to begin? The male receptionist treats you as if you checking in is a waste of his precious time that he could be spending in the back of the office watching a movie on his laptop with his feet up (as you will catch him doing EVERY TIME.) You won't hear a single please or thank you out of his mouth. Oh and god forbid you may need anything because then you'll realllllyyy pi$$ everyone off. We asked for 2 extra pillows seeing as the two provided were flat and won't even hold your head up. We were basically told to **** off. After asking four times a nasty maid banged on our door and literally threw a single pillow at my boyfriend and actually yelled at him saying that out of the whole god forsaken place they only have one extra pillow, not two. There was also two mosquito/termite hybrids the size of my fist on the wall. The shower also does not work at all...unless you're into ice cold showers. The room and bed itself were comfortable and clean but that is truley the only decent thing I can say about this place. If you're looking to file a lawsuit, here is a great place to make it happen. The hallway floors are so uneven and there's deep bumps and divets everywhere. The lobby floors are also always insanely wet and slippery. This place also attracts a less than desireable crowd as far as your neighbors go. Basically, if youre thinking of staying here...think again

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank displeased1
Reviewed July 13, 2012

If you're a drug dealer, prostitute or some other type of criminal, this hotel will definitely make you feel like home. The place is old, worn and tired. It looks like it hasn't been updated since the 70's. On top of it all, the receptionist had a terrible attitude - I asked for her to call me a cab and she refused telling me to call them myself from a cell phone. The place was very sketchy and I didn't feel safe at all.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Checky
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I would definately stay again. My husband and I stayed at Econo Lodge while visiting a family member at St. Raphael's Hospital in New Haven. Yes, there is plexiglass in the reception area which separates the attendant and the hotel guests - not sure why it was there but it doesn't look bullet proof. I grew up a couple of towns over and didn't deem the area to be particularly unsafe. We did not see or note anything there that was more exposed to danger than the Hampton Inn or Budget Inn on Saw Mill Road which are located just around the corner less than one minute away, visible from the 95 and more expensive. We were out most of the time and just needed a place to sleep & shower.

The room was surprisingly nice and clean with the singular exception of the carpet which had a kind of "grimey" or oily feel to it when you walked on it barefoot. We kept socks on till we got in the bed. The TV was adequate and wireless access was fine.

We were most concerned because of reports of bed bugs but we did not have any issues with that at all. Towels and sheets were thin but clean, it is an economy hotel and it was exactly what you would expect. There was an ironing board, iron, and a lighted dressing area with full length mirror. The bathroom has a hair dryer, soap, shampoo, and body lotion but no conditioner for hair. I am only 5'2" and the shower height was low for a taller guy like my husband at 5'11" but he managed. It had an adjustable massage spray showerhead - water was nice and hot. Plenty of t.p. and tissues.

We stayed for 4 nights of which the weekend nights definately had more "guest activity" including someone banging on our door late on a Saturday night - which we could determine from the conversation outside without opening the door - "oh, #$^T it's the wrong room". I only wished they put the party people on the lower level rather than over us. We noted a family with kids a couple of doors over from us and some obvious business travelers and everyone was very respectful. Definitely was not a seedy hotel.

We were able to take an exercise run each morning through a residential neighborhood located up a hill to the right of the parking lot exit - down to a another main road to the right and then a ways from there - all very safe.

The hotel has a basic continental breakfast 6-9 a.m. - juice, toast, muffins, cereal, a waffle thing but no protein (eggs). All in all - not a bad place in an area where there are not a lot of hotels to choose from to begin with but the others are over priced. I'd definately stay again.

Restaurants close by - we recommend Georgie's Diner on Elm St., West Haven - very close by - for typical diner foods and specialty Gluten Free and vegan dishes with excellent staff. Go out of lot to light and make a left go down a couple of lights and you'll see the diner. Texas Roadhouse very good steaks - min $19. per person

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family