“An okay hotel for a quick stop, but beware the bed bugs”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed here for two nights. The room was okay. Simple, but looked clean. AC worked well and TV worked well. Having lived in this area for several years in the past, I can indicate that it is a pretty safe spot, right off the highway and easy to find. The breakfast is included which is nice, though it's pretty simple fare - cereal, bagels, waffles, pastries. The service was fine for the price. The big issue I had was bed bugs. Woke up the first morning with more than ten bites that flared up all day, even bites on my face which are still healing. It was enough to make the thought of sleeping there a second night horrific, and I'm not sure I slept at all because I was so disgusted by the thought of getting covered in more of the bites. I will not stay at this hotel again for this reason, which is too bad. I stayed here two years ago with no issues, but obviously things change.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank ctraveller19

Reviewed June 17, 2011

My husband and I were on a tour of the New England states and we ended up here because we drove longer than expected and did not pre-book a place to stay. The hotel is located very close to the highway and I have to say that I was not comfortable with the room or the clientele at the hotel. It was a little scary. However, were so tired we decided to take the room. The room was large but was not as clean as it should have been. I would not recommend this hotel . I would not stay at an Econo Lodge in a major metropolitan area again unless I was familar with the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AJUC
Reviewed June 9, 2011

service and communication sucks me and my girl went there to grt a jacuzzi room. and we alled before going to make sure they had a room they said yes a smoking room bottom floor when we giot there there was no room i toook a cab there fast too they didnt honor my coupon either

Room Tip: just take what you can get
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank law2011
Reviewed November 27, 2010

This Hotel "Econo Lodge" is a great Hotel if you are looking to stay for a one night stop. The location is adjacent to I-95, an easy to find Hotel. Upon check-in the clerk was nice, the room was clean, sheets clean, even inspected the bathroom and bed. IT WAS CLEAN! Contrary to reports reported in this blog with regards prositution or drugs, I never witness any of such an activity. It was a quiet and the rooms looked it was remodeled. One hint upon check in, ask for the rooms not infront of I-95, you can clearly hear every single car and it takes time for any individual to fall asleep. The room provides with a great continental breakfast including hot waffles. The breakfast area was very clean and very well kept "it looks remodeled" and all utensils including counters were very well kept, updated and clean. If you are looking to connect to the internet/wifi from your room, do not expect a great connection, you would have to walk to the lobby in order to connect with the internet. I do recommend this hotel if you are traveling, it is not your Ritz Carlton Hotel, but it is a bargain. The Hotel overall was a bargain!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Frugalvalen
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We were a little put off by the perspex all around the reception desk and security cameras all around the building, which does indicate there is some sort of a problem here. Nonetheless we checked in and found the room to be clean and had no problems with our stay. The room was noisy on account of its proximity to the interstate. Breakfast was reasonable as was the cost of the room. I don't think I would stay again on account of my concerns with the safety of this area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USAtravellerNE
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I selected the Econo Lodge because I am on a tight budget and the price was right. I was hesitant to stay at an Econo Lodge but other traveler's reviews assured me that this particular Econo Lodge was very clean and well-kept. I should have trusted my instincts- upon arrival we were told that we would have to stay in a smoking room. Since neither my partner or I are smokers, why would we want to stay in a room that smells of stale smoke? The desk attendant told us that they were all out of smoke-free rooms (there were about 5 cars in the parking lot, how could there be no more smoke-free rooms?) and then after some convincing, miraculously discovered an available smoke-free room. After arguing our way into the smoke-free room, we hauled all of our belongings up to the room we had been given, only to find that the room was STILL OCCUPIED.

Eventually we were able to get into an AVAILABLE smoke free room that was about what you would expect- bare bones, but acceptable. The room appeared to be fairly clean until we took a look at the bed, there were hairs all over the sheets.

I would not recommend staying at this hotel, the customer service leaves something to be desired and the cleanliness was certainly not up to par. For the price I was not expecting elegant decor or a kitchenette, but I would have appreciated better customer service or at the very least, clean bed-sheets.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LandLtraveler
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The hotel has horrible customer service!! I was going to stay here again as my last stay, I reviewed, was nice but the customer service is horrible. I arrived to the hotel at about 10 minutes til 2pm to check-in. It seemed to be a challenge and I asked if it was possible. Finally I was told they did have rooms, and then I was told it was an early check-in and that woud be an additional $10. Are you kidding me? I stay a hotels all over and have never paid for an early check-in unless I was checking in before 7 or 8am. I can understand that but an hour before check-in time, you have to be kiidding me. Needless to say I cancelled my reservation so instead of me paying them $60 for the night, they lost it over $10.00. I went immediately to another hotel and checked right in. Learn some customer service after all you are in the hospitality business.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
Red Roof Inn Milford
Red Roof Inn Milford
#7 of 13 in Milford

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!