“Excellent Turkish Food”

Ranked #5 of 156 Restaurants in West Haven
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We love Saray and eat there often. The food is so good. I always get the eggplant salad. It's a tiny whole eggplant that is served cold. We have tried several of the kabobs - excellent. I adore the salmon dish with veggies, always perfectly cooked. Everything is so fresh. The lentil soup is the best I've had. And the bread! We've even ordered food for a party.

The staff is wonderful. They always make us feel at home. They are very accommodating of special requests. The service is on par with a much more upscale restaurant.

We like the fact that we can bring our own wine. It saves a lot on a dinner bill and they are very happy to serve it.

Don't hesitate to try it. We've never been disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Saray Turkish Kitchen

Reviewed November 9, 2013

For the past year my boyfriend has been trying to get me to go here. I wasn't sure what Turkish food was so I was hesitant. Last night was his birthday so we went. The outside doesn't look like much, and actually the inside doesn't either. But it was probably the best meal I've had in ages. Absolutely phenomenal. We started with the cold salad appetizer so we could try a few different things... So good. Then I had the mixed chicken grill. The chicken kabob was the best out of the three. Super tender and so full of delicious flavored. Reviewers mentioned the baklava so we ended with that. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Honestly, I cannot wait to go back. The BYOB is nice, especially with no corking fee!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

From bread and salad to main course and dessert -- excellent all! Recommend the platter of mixed appetizers for anyone not acquainted with Turkish flavorings -- so that you quickly can become so... Don't expect liquor as Saray is a "halal" (kosher-like) establishment. They have very good Turkish coffee and tea. We have been to Saray several times with friends and no one has ever had food that they were disappointed in. Service is excellent and the Turkish rug hangings provide an ambience. On the menu: I personally like the Donner Kebab, strips of lamb and beef with "secret blend of seasoning"... Our friends swore by their beef and chicken kebabs. The menu is varied enough (for example, vegetarian main courses) that one can return numerous times without losing a sense of discovery. The desserts are enticing -- my wife loves their baklava,
walnuts, pistachios mixed in layers of fillo dough covered in honey syrup. I like their sutlac, rice pudding with caramelized top. So Saray lives up to its name: "The Place."

1  Thank JBBannister
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Not the place to go for ambience but absolutely the place for authentic, delicous, affordable Turkish cuisine. Add good service and that makes this place easy to come back to over and over.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The restaurant is located in an iffy looking area but it's actually a decent place to eat and the food ks delicious. We were in the mood for some baklava and it was pretty good given the standards of the area. I've had better baklava at other locations but this one wasn't too bad. Their kebabs are pretty good too.