“Great little place”

Savin Rock Roasting Company
Ranked #3 of 160 Restaurants in West Haven
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are committed to offering our customers the finest Steaks, Chops, Seafood, Pastas & Old Fashioned Favorites. We prepare our own house made Pastrami, Roast Beef, Corned Beef, Turkey, Porchetta and much more. Our blended seasoning recipes and special method of slow roasting offer you a fabulous flavor that you can't forget. We use only the finest ingredients available from local purveyors and classic old world methods of preparation for all of our menu items.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nice little restaurant with a huge menu. Everything we've ever had there has been excellent. Friendly servers, reasonable prices and great grilled pizza specials. What could be better?

laa1122, Owner at Savin Rock Roasting Company, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just made an impromptu visit to this restaurant and was not impressed. Service was great but the food was seriously lacking. I ordered soup and salad..kind of hard to mess that up but they did! The Crab Bisque was congealed and gross...even adding oyster crackers did not help this bowl of orange gook that had very little if any crab in it. The salad was very basic but it was the blue cheese dressing that was very distasteful...more like a watered down ranch with some chunks of what could have been blue cheese but did not have the flavor. If you go don't order either of these!

1  Thank caribbeanfruit
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Tonight we were introduced to Mike as our server in training. If we were not told in the beginning we never would have known that he was a new employee...smiling...great eye contact...great personality ...seems to fit in well...always one step ahead of our needs. We were also impressed by the bus boy...someone new to us named Keith...he not only cleared the table but inquired about our meal and offered to wrap our left overs. Once again, even with new employees, the Roaster continues to impress...Keep it up!!!

1  Thank BeenThereDoneThat232
laa1122, Owner at Savin Rock Roasting Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful to learn the impression that our staff, particularly new team members, make on our guests.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I decided to try Savin Rock Roasting Company for lunch while visiting my son in college. The TripAdvisor reviews were good, it was close by and reasonably prices, so why not?? It was pretty busy for a Saturday afternoon. The staff was friendly & we were waited on quickly & professionally. We told the waitress if was our first time there. She immediately welcomed us, asked how we learned of them & explained their menu to us. I told her I heard of them from TripAdvisor, my son replied he just knew of the place & that it must be good by how packed it always was when he passed by; all the locals. She made a few suggestions & brought over a "virgin plate" to sample their roast beef, corned beef & pastrami. It was a great gesture. We decided on the skate fingers for our appetizer, which I had never heard of before. They were good; their tartar sauce was excellent! My son had a Reuben sandwich & I had Pastrami Meltdown - delicious! Meat was fresh, not too fatty, hot & tasty. Portions were generous; we didn't finish it all. Also, they offered Rhode Island clam chowder, which I never heard of before, either. Not only did our waitress explain it to us, she brought over a sample to try at no charge. This is not my favorite type of clam chowder! I took some to go to bring back with me to VT. I plan to definitely return & recommend this place to others. It must be nice to dine outside, on their patio, when the weather is nice. I can see how parking may be an issue, as it seemed to be very limited.

1  Thank Neen813
laa1122, Owner at Savin Rock Roasting Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit especially since I believe I waited on you. As the owner, I don't always wait tables, just help out sometimes and feel that my staff does a better job at it than I do. Our parking is very small indeed; however, there is large lot across the street that is available. I hope to see you next time.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We meet old friends several times each year trying to find locations halfway from our homes. When deciding to meet this weekend i spotted this place on Groupon and checked it out. The reviews were just amazing and i was intrigued. They do not take reservations for parties less than five but ask you to call half hour before you want reservation and if possible they will hold a table for you. This worked perfectly for us even on a Saturday night! We were seated in less than five minutes after being warmly greeted by hostess/manager. Then we got to meet our waitress Jennifer who we all agreed was exceptional. She was very knowledgeable about the extensive menu as well as their wine selections..not to mention very patient. We loved her and she made our evening even more special for sure. Now onto the food. As new patrons she brought us a sampling of their roasted meats to try. They were all delicious..moist warm and succulent. We all made mental notes to come for lunch and try their awesome sandwiches. Now on to our meals. We started with two appetizers..the steamed clams, plentiful and delicious as were the baked scallops. The menu is massive so it took some of us awhile to choose. The salads were fresh and crisp with delicious house dressings. We ordered among us the chicken carbonara over angel hair, two of the large fried seafood platter ( and man it was huge platter!!) and the seafood platter with lobster over linguini (also huge! And half lobster! Everyone loved their entrees. My husband and i plan to enjoy a feast today with our doggie bags! I consider myself a whole belly clam officionado and these were very good. The table was ours for the evening and we enjoyed three hours there very much. We were not rushed at all and our service was most attentive. Jennifer was training a young man so we had two great servers. Overall the evening was better than we expected..great food, great service (thank you Jennifer!) and just a fun evening. We would highly recommend. Give it a try! We all will be back for sure!

laa1122, Owner at Savin Rock Roasting Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your first visit with us. I'm sorry I missed you and hope to meet you on your next trip.