“The first room thay gave us. smelled like paint the...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 West Haven

Super 8 West Haven
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Hamden
“The first room thay gave us. smelled like paint the...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The first room thay gave us. smelled like paint the curtains was hanging off the window. We called the desk thay did give us another room. Which was really nice

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

1 Thank Brenda J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Due to the low price and location, I trusted what would normally be a good chain name, Super 8. The place is fine, but it does have some parts that are being renovated. You should insist upon seeing the room first before letting them place you there. The original room they tried to put me in was completely dilapidated. Curtains torn, dirty, carpet missing threads, no blanket, only dirty spread. I was also surrounded by the rooms of the construction workers and rooms that were being renovated. When I asked for a new room, they were a little hesitant, but when I insisted, they gave me a much better room on the first floor. It's still old and sort of smelly, but for $50 a night, you sort of get what you pay for.
I would bring my own linens and blanket. Also, leave up your "do not disturb" and forego maid service. There are some seedy characters hanging about.

Room Tip: First floor, right side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Petfriendlyplease

Travelers are raving about these West Haven hotels

Beverly, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

When we arrived around midnight, there were several questionable people in the parking lot and going into the motel. Around 3:30 in the morning there was a very loud argument in the hallway that lasted for 30 minutes and nothing was done about it. Our room was very close to the front desk so they must have heard it. In the morning, the side doors were propped open so there was no security the night before. The front desk is covered with bullet-proof glass, which is an obvious statement of the security level in the area.

The lobby and hallways smelled very smokey and musty. The carpets and walls were very old and stained. The inside and outside looks nothing like the pictures on the web site. Several of the plugs in the room were missing covers or loose. The beds were smaller than what we ordered (Full vs. queen) and the sheets and comforters were very old.and stained.

One of the reasons I booked this hotel vs. others was because it advertised free breakfast. What little food was available was stale and once it ran out, was not restocked. By the time most of us were ready to eat, there was nothing but a little cereal and no milk left. All of the mini muffins and english muffins were gone. The coffee was very weak and there was no cream.

Overall, the hotel was cheap in price but you definitely get what you pay for. However, two weeks ago, we stayed in a Clarion Hotel in Princeton, NJ for the same price and had a gorgeous, plush room and a FULL breakfast the following morning. The hotel there was brand new and spotless and we felt very secure. At the Super 8, we thought someone was going to be killed outside our door and were afraid of what might in the middle of the night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rancho Cucamonga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

The exterior of the hotel was decent, as long as you didn't notice the large blue tarps covering the roof. The parking lot was spacious and free of debris. The lobby was filled with the stench of Indian food and the bullet-proof glass encasing the front desk gave the place a less than secure feeling. The floors in the hallway are uneven and had tripping hazards. The room was clean but, it smelled like it had recently been sprayed with insecticide. I found holes in the bedding, the sheets looked clean but, did not have a fresh scent, the comforter looked and smelled like it doesn't get washed, 2 of the 6 lights did not work, I could not read the lettering on the alarm clock, the walls had uneven wallpaper as if they were patched by a child, the electrical outlets wiggled when I plugged anything into them and, the drapes had holes and allowed light to shine through them. The most disturbing part of our stay was the obvious prostitute activity that goes on at this hotel. I was woken up a few times each night by noise from the rooms around me. The sexual activity could be heard multiple times during the night, followed quickly by a door closing and a shower running. The doors propped open by the security latch was a hint to what was to come. The multiple security cameras did nothing to slow this prostitution ring and honestly it added to the scarey feeling. In my opinion, Super 8 would do well to dis-associate themselves from this scarey, dirty, rundown, prostitute haven. I nearly forgot to point out the lack of breakfast. I was in the hotel for three mornings and I saw two breakfast choices one time (poppy-seed muffins and english muffins). I asked the front desk where breakfast was and his response was "They must have cleaned it up early". By the way, I checked for breakfast at varying times 9am, 7am and, finally 6am and found nothing more than the aforementioned items.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ok this IS THE WORST motel I have ever stayed in. Ok I know its a motel which is cheap so u get what u pay for but jeeez! Where do i begin? Lets see. So I decided to leave NYC to spend new years eve wit my friends for a night out in Ct. We had our room reserved just in case and paid about $75 for the night. In the lobby was this drunk stank prostitute hanging out ekk! When we got in the room, i checked it out a bit, the comforter was riped on the top wit a big hole and the bathroom walls were peeling, the toilet? burnt cigarette marks all over it and the entire room felt like -10 degrees, I took off my boots and the carpet was freezing. So I went to turn the portable heater on and it DIDNT work, and of course its there cause there reg heater/ac wasnt working. I immediately called the front desk and requested someone to bring another but the guy kept saying "It works keep trying" smh I was mad so I had to go downstairs to the desk to express to him how much it didnt work and how much i didnt want to catch pnuemonia sleeping in the room. So he decided to give me a key to go check another room so we can switch, that heater was working but that room had no comforter/blanket so we had to take the ripped up one with us to that room. So as were moving to the room I go to open the door wit the key and..It DIDNT WORK, I stood there swiping for 5mins before i decided to go back downstairs. Went down and he seems pissed and came back wit me to try for himself and saw it didnt work so he used his master key to open the door and had the nerves to say "Its probably ur mobile devices thats messin it up or the door system is broken again so dont leave ur room tonight" and im like I didnt leave NY to come stay in a room, I came to go out, he jus walked away. Then we get in and one of my friends goes to use the bathroom she came out and said "OMG the toilet doesnt work" Now im like wtf, I called downstairs and said "Mister, the toilet doesnt flush" and he said "I'll send a plunger and hung up on me". 20mins later someone else brought the plunger so EVERYTIME we used the toilet we had to plung at it like 50 times for it to go down smh. So we left and went to our event in new haven, came back minutes before midnight to find 6 cops cars outside and a bunch of cops yelling and threatening at what looked like a teenage smoke out motel party of about 20+ kids. How did they all sneak in? Dont know. Ratched! Then we went upstairs forgetting that the stupid door didnt work wit our key, one of my friends went back downstairs to get the rude front desk guy, when she came back she was like "didnt u hear the cop and this girl screaming at each other downstairs? She was threatening him and about to fight him so he arrested her. Im like wow that is crazy, straight out a drama scary movie.
The entire experience had me sooo angry, how can u run a business with soooo many problems and poor horrible customer service. I will NEVER EVER stay there again, Id rather sleep at the train station. DONT WASTE UR MONEY THERE its a horror movie. It ruined my new years eve experience. Stay ANYWHERE else

Room Tip: "Its a whoore house with everything wrong with it"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New Haven Hotel
New Haven Hotel
#3 of 12 in New Haven
BEST WESTERN Executive Hotel of New Haven-West Haven

Been to Super 8 West Haven? Share your experiences!