“Mediocre”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Mediocre”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Mediocre BBQ, mac and cheese was gluey-slaw was less than average. Cornbread was lackluster. Staff was very nice. Would not go back here.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank alleno

“Great food, very expensive”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Best barbecue food in the area hands down. Since it opened, however, the prices have at least doubled. Two dinners and two drinks came to $41! Paying sit down restaurant prices for a step above fast food. You can sit down at Texas Roadhouse down the street and get two steaks for less.

3 Thank Danielle S
West Haven, Connecticut
“Great local BBQ”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We’ve eaten here a few times and we have never been disappointed. This time around we ordered the pulled pork, cole slaw, mac n’ cheese and hushpuppies. The pulled pork was delicious and practically melts in your mouth. Their great sauces only add to the deliciousness (I love the Memphis sweet and 50/50 sauce) and quite frankly tastes great on almost everything they make. The mac n’ cheese was creamy and cheesy and the cole slaw was fabulous. My only complaint is that I wish I got a larger container of the slaw. I hate soggy, creamy slaw but theirs is a sweet and vinegary mix of crunchy-ness and I LOVED it. The staff is always friendly, the prices are reasonable and the inside is cute and kitschy. I recommend this place for great BBQ or if you’re looking to splurge diet wise on some great food.

• Visited August 2014
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Great Pulled Pork!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my 4th visit to Uncle Willie's in West Haven. Great pulled pork flavored with a spicy BBQ sauce. I opted for the mashed sweet potatoes made happy with baked cinnamon apples. Lots of food! I didn't try the corn bread that came with it - but was told it was good.

The order taker was more focused on the cook in the kitchen - but you have to remember the type of restaurant you are at. It's not that fancy, five star, sit down eatery - it's an easy going venue with awesome homemade BBQ sauces and smoked meat.

Worth the stop off of I-95; exit 42!

• Visited July 2014
“I like this place”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

You have to be prepared to like Uncle Willie's. Service is slow but friendly. In its new digs there are enough tables to go around but they are mostly upstairs. Bring your own metal if you prefer not-plastic utensils. And it is relatively expensive.

BUT, the food is fine. Pulled chicken, ribs: everything I've ever had there is well prepared and worth traveling for. I have never had a bad meal there and most were very good. So, go for the food and ambience (if that is what you call it) and enjoy it. I do and have been there several times.

Visited May 2014