“Great local BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
West Haven, Connecticut
“Great local BBQ”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We’ve eaten here a few times and we have never been disappointed. This time around we ordered the pulled pork, cole slaw, mac n’ cheese and hushpuppies. The pulled pork was delicious and practically melts in your mouth. Their great sauces only add to the deliciousness (I love the Memphis sweet and 50/50 sauce) and quite frankly tastes great on almost everything they make. The mac n’ cheese was creamy and cheesy and the cole slaw was fabulous. My only complaint is that I wish I got a larger container of the slaw. I hate soggy, creamy slaw but theirs is a sweet and vinegary mix of crunchy-ness and I LOVED it. The staff is always friendly, the prices are reasonable and the inside is cute and kitschy. I recommend this place for great BBQ or if you’re looking to splurge diet wise on some great food.

• Visited August 2014

Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Great Pulled Pork!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my 4th visit to Uncle Willie's in West Haven. Great pulled pork flavored with a spicy BBQ sauce. I opted for the mashed sweet potatoes made happy with baked cinnamon apples. Lots of food! I didn't try the corn bread that came with it - but was told it was good.

The order taker was more focused on the cook in the kitchen - but you have to remember the type of restaurant you are at. It's not that fancy, five star, sit down eatery - it's an easy going venue with awesome homemade BBQ sauces and smoked meat.

Worth the stop off of I-95; exit 42!

• Visited July 2014
“I like this place”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

You have to be prepared to like Uncle Willie's. Service is slow but friendly. In its new digs there are enough tables to go around but they are mostly upstairs. Bring your own metal if you prefer not-plastic utensils. And it is relatively expensive.

BUT, the food is fine. Pulled chicken, ribs: everything I've ever had there is well prepared and worth traveling for. I have never had a bad meal there and most were very good. So, go for the food and ambience (if that is what you call it) and enjoy it. I do and have been there several times.

Visited May 2014
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I very much dislike speaking poorly of restaurants, even less so of food, but our last visit merits just that. We have gone here a total of three times. The first two times feeling it was just barely mediocre, each time thinking, "it'll be better next time, it has to be it's rated so highly on yelp." Well, such was not the experience. Our third and most definitely last time, was today....We ordered three flavors over the phone of chicken tenders, we were quoted seventeen and change which was the same amount online, but when I arrived to pick up they asked for $24. Now I really could care less about the price, I just like being quoted the correct price and even then as long as the quality were there, still would not mind. Except for the reason for the difference is price was apparently they charge $2 extra dollars per container. Upon clarification, I asked them to throw them in the same container as I could really care less about the flavors touching each other, after all they'll go down the same channel in the end, but of course they insisted they could not do that.

Mind you, I got over this thinking these have to be some pretty expensive containers, well they weren't any different than cheap Styrofoam containers, i'm surprised they didn't charge me for the napkins as well. By the time I arrived home, I did end up getting past the price, only to eat the nastiest tenders I have ever encountered. I have had the pleasure of eating in some of the finest bbq eateries down south and i'm a realist this is Connecticut. Yet I can't put past myself that gross McDonald's could do a much better job.

Ah and of course,to top off this horrible experience the service left much to desire. I would be shocked and amazed to see this place stay in business much longer, if they continue on this grossly excessive overpriced path with poor service.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Robert I
West Haven, Connecticut
“best ribs around!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

the service is lacking but the food is delicious! I ordered four ribs thinking it would barely scratch the surface of my hunger... boy was I wrong. the ribs were juicy and massive! DEFINITELY coming back!

• Visited February 2014