“First and last visit.”
Review of A'Vert Brasserie

A'Vert Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
A'Vert Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 178 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went here on valentines day with my fiancé after reading a rave review of this place in a magazine. We have been to the sister restaurant Treva and were very excited to try this place out. I don't know if i set my standards too high but this place did not deliver. We came around 2pm to beat the V-day rush. Sat at the bar which was easy seating and pleasant enough. We both ordered wine and my glass had lipstick marks on it. Fixed by the bartender promptly. We then ordered oysters and although they did not come with cocktail sauce they were splendid. I ordered the short ribs. The portion although small was perfect for me and as a lunch but they lacked all over depth of flavor. my fiancé ordered the beef tartar. Ive had this delicacy only a few times and this one had an overpowering taste of onion and herbs. I had read the house chips were amazing but they were substandard to me. plain and thin. There also was no sauce to accompany them. Dessert of creme brûlée tasted more like pudding but the expresso was a great accompaniment.
All in all glad to say we visited but probably not coming back.

1  Thank lil_italy4
There are newer reviews for A'Vert Brasserie

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Food was quite tasty, and fresh but be ready for very small entree dish portions even though they are over 20. I assumed a half chicken would be a half of a roasted chicken, it was actually 4 small pieces. Ordered the steak fries listed as $23.00 on the brunch menu and was charged $28.00. Ordered the pear/endive salad but was told the chef "forgot" to put the pears on my salad. The server was not knowledgeable at all about any of the dishes on the menu and seemed overwhelmed. I will definitely go back for lunch but to get me back for those entree prices the service would need to match Grants or Max's.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Looking so forward to a nice lunch with my girlfriend, didn't happen. Most tables are very close together, would not let us sit in booths (only two) because only two of us. We ordered fresh orange juice for $4.00 which came in a small glass. Braised ribs were very good, but only came with 2 small potatoes and mushrooms. Girlfriend ordered 1/2 chicken breast, served with potatoes only and it was very bland. Thigh and wing missing, so what she got was chicken breast. Realized meals lack vegetables, ordered baby vegetable casserole for $5.00. What we got was small plate (not a casserole) with carrots, beans, etc. that tasted boiled (horrible). Complained to Chef/Manager, he apologized and told me 1/2 chicken breast was seasoned deboned and thigh was on plate. Vegetables were cooked in water with oil and salt, he will check with staff. Offered us something sweet or he will take off vegetable casserole from our bill. So sorry, A'Vert we will not be back.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went here for lunch after hearing some good things abou this new brasserie. We called ahead to get our name on the list for seating, and we had about a 10 minute wait (the place was hopping) after we arrived. It appears to me that the wait will be longer for larger parties since most of the tables were for two, and they'll need to put adjacent ones together for more seating. There is plenty of seating at the bar and several high-tops as well. Stools weren't really an option for us since our party averaged 72 yoa; but, we were appropraiately accommodated. Our server was also working the bar, and this resulted in what seemed to me to be an slightly excessive wait for service. The food was exceptional. My fellow diners each had an excellent,fresh green salad and the fresh pasta with mussels in a cream sauce. I had an endive salad with roquefort, candied walnuts, frizee and pears followed by a scrumptious bourguignon of beef shortribs. We were too full for dessert. We will be going back.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Here's the thing...did you like Treva? If so...you'll love Avert. Instead of magnificent Italian dishes, you'll get a real taste of French cuisuine with the same attention to detail and execution that makes Treva one of the best restaurants in Connecticut. Go. Order. Enjoy.