“Vastly improved with new menu”

Butterfly Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 178 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped going to the Butterfly about 10 years ago. It was overpriced and the quality was mediocre at best. I went there about a year ago and they had improved enough that I have added it to my list of possible Chinese restaurants for a weekend night. A few months ago I returned and was delighted to see a new menu with offerings far beyond the typical Chinese fare in CT.
It is now my favorite Chinese restaurant in the Hartford area. They have a good bar and usually a piano player during the dinner hour, but it is the unique menu items that have elevated their stature.

There are newer reviews for Butterfly Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed March 21, 2013

RIght on the main drag on Farmington Ave. between HFD and West HFD. Pretty much all the items that you would see on any Chinese menu. The food was alright, but then all Chinese food tastes the same to me.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Four of us went to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday for lunch. We had to ask for noodles for the table. Food was tepid when it came out and mediocre in quality. There was no waiter or hostess to be found for 5 minutes. When the hostess finally was back in the restaurant seating someone near us, two of us had to yell to get the hostess' attention to get our food warmed. It was nuked so hot that we had to let it sit several minutes to cool to edible temperatures. The staff never came back to see if we needed anything, like another pot of tea or water. And the funny thing was that there were only a few tables seated while we were there. Disappointing. My local take-out place has better food and definitely better service. We won't go back.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I went to the Butterfly Rest. They sat us next to the fish tank which was completely gross and over run by algae. It needed a really good cleaning. The food is way over priced and the quality isn't even great. I would rather eat at Wendy's.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went to the restaurant with my family (5 people) last week, had a reservation and wese seated after a 10 minute wait. Restaurant had open tables. Not crowded. After being seated 25 minutes I had to get up and go asked the hostess to please send a waiter to our table. When someone showed up five minutes later he took our appetizer, drink, soup and main course order. We also asked for water for the table (five people). The food came out in this order-two soups, a few minutes later the appetizer, a few minutes later two more soups (we all ordered the same type of egg drop soup nothing fancy). He then brought two bottles of sake, served in the original packaging a small bottle with a fliptop, not warmed. Then brought two beers. We asked again for water. After another 20 minutes he brought three of the entrées, we asked again for water and the hostess finally brought it to us. I asked for the remaining two entrées (a fried rice and ta beef short rib that they had advertised as a special.) He brought out the fried rice but not the ribs. By that time all the other food been on the table for over 20 minutes. The next time I saw our waiter, I told him to cancel the ribs because everyone else and finished eating and we would make do without them. Five minutes later he brought the ribs out, but I instructed to take them back and cancel the order as requested earlier. He then brought the check and the fortune cookies. He started clearing the table by collecting all the silverware and putting it in one of the use entrée dishes. He took all the plates off the table left the mess with the silverware on the table for his next trip. It took another 5 to 10 minutes for him to come and pick up my card to pay the bill. He brought that back to me quite quickly. It then took another 10 minutes before he picked up the signed check. We were in the restaurant for just over two hours. Our waiter was not inexperienced. He was observed making moo-shu pancakes for EVERY member of a table of 12 next to ours (while we waited and waited).
The food quality was ok, nothing special (but I never got the special that I ordered).
I had been to this restaurant about three or four years ago but was not sufficiently motivated to return. My feeling has not changed.

2  Thank MMouseMD