“Absolutely Delicious” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pond House Cafe

Pond House Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Pond House Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 169 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Prospect
Transit: on Asylum Ave.
Description: Nestled on the pond in historic Elizabeth Park the Pond House is surrounded by gardens & offers four seasons of charm with a menu to match. Changed seasonally we offer eclectic comfort food that reflects the down to earth but playful spirit of our staff. Watch young skaters on the pond while savoring a hearty winter stew. Announce Spring's arrival with a walk through the park followed by brunch on the patio. Stop and smell the world famous roses then linger over dinner as sun slowly sets over the trees. Lunch, Dinner, Brunch & Take out. The Pond House - stylish, fun & playful.
Farmington, CT
“Absolutely Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had the pleasure of eating at the Pond House Cafe last night. After reading the reviews I was a little concerned....needlessly it turned out. From the second we walked in, we were graciously greeted, seated immediately and within 30 seconds a super nice, super attentive waitress took our drink order. We were served complimentary homemade toasted pita bread with some sort of homemade spread that was delicious. Our nachos appetizer was huge and full of flavor! Blue corn nacho chips with vegetarian chili, fresh guacamole and fresh salsa....and of course, excellent cheese! This was a meal in itself. For dinner I had the salmon...heavenly...with roasted root vegetables in a pumpkin puree...perfectly cooked and out of this world. My fiancee had the pheasant and loved it. We shared a dessert...a cold dessert that tasted like fresh maple syrup mixed with fresh whipped cream then frozen...on a pecan/granola/butter crust...there are no words it was that good. Throughout the entire meal our waitress was attentive and accessable without ever once being overbearing. Our service experience was perfect and the food was even better. I highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back to try more of this inventive chef's eclectic flavor combos.

• Visited October 2012

Westbrook, Connecticut
“Fantastic Food in a Great Atmosphere in a Great Park!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Pond House Cafe in Elizabeth Park in West Hartford is a Hidden Gem. Located in the wonderful Elizabeth Park (a City of Hartford park situated on the East end of the Town of West Hartford, CT), this restaurant is next to a duck pond in this park which has one of the oldest rose gardens in the United States. If a fantastic meal isn't enough, you can stroll through the magnificent gardens and grounds of Elizabeth Park after your meal to enjoy the beauty of nature's bounty lovingly kept by the Friends of Elizabeth Park organization. You will enjoy the food, the atmosphere and the Park.

Visited August 2012
Simsbury, Connecticut
“Very good food, lacking service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I won't go into detail about the service because it will just be me reiterating other reviews, so I'll just say it could (and should) have been better. Concerning the food, it was quite good. I had BBQ Brisket, which was moist with fabulous mashed potatoes. The person I was with had a burger, which he said was about adequate. The homemade sorbet on the cookie was crazy awesome and their coffee was also awesome. I'd try them for brunch, but with reservations because the service was really cold and impersonal.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hartford
“Poor service ruined an otherwise pleasant evening”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Great location, good wine, interesting menu selections.
But . . . how long does one have to wait for a greeting? A menu? Water? Drinks? Bread? Entree? A long, long, time, and it wasn't even busy. No one asked if we wanted more water (we did), if our food was okay (it was), if we wanted another drink (we didn't) or if we wanted to see the dessert menu (too late, no more waiting)!
I hope things improve soon. . .

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Connecticut
“Rude, rude service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My kids, friend, and I stopped in the Pond House Cafe at 3 p.m. on a weekday afternoon. Two tables were full on the patio; otherwise, the entire restaurant was EMPTY. We sat down at a table and were approached by a female server. We asked for their drink and dessert selection, rather than the menu as we were not interested in food. She promptly told us we could order drinks and ice cream at the walk up area outside the restaurant. We asked her if she would serve us the ice cream and drinks at our table. She said we could sit at the tables outside the restaurant. It was clear she did not want us anywhere near her section or within the restaurant. I have never experienced such blatant rudeness from a server. Finally, I asked for menus. She obliged and returned with the menus and then decided to play the situation our way, instead of hers. If I had been the manager of this restaurant, she would be promptly fired. Obviously, we were inconveniencing her with our presence.

• Visited August 2012