“Fresh tasting sushi”

Tokyo Sushi
Ranked #61 of 184 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Ive been here many times, and have brought friends who are sushi "snobs." All have loved the sushi, along with me. On several occasions, my friends ended up ordering more sushi at the end because they loved it so much. The sushi is one of the best I've eaten at- including in comparison to top places in NYC, Boston and Vegas. The Sun Roll is exceptional. The seaweed salad is good too. However, I haven't heard great things on the other items. Order sushi and you'll love it too! My go to place.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We came hoping to find a new favorite sushi restaurant, but we'll have to keep searching. We sat at the sushi bar and ordered a sushi/sashimi sampler and a couple of rolls. We shared a warm miso soup and a mediocre house salad. The ginger in the salad dressing was bland and the color was not pleasing.

When the sushi was set in front of us, the rolls and sushi/sashimi pieces were in an okay arrangement, but the shape of the rolls and pieces of fish over rice were not what we would expect from a well trained sushi chef.

The taste of the sushi was also bland...the sashimi tasted almost watery with little flavor, and the textures between the different types of fish were hard to discern.

One thing that did not sit well with me. While we were eating, the sushi chefs started cleaning the back area, even though they were open for a few more hours. They placed large pieces of plastic over the fish, instead of wrapping each piece separately. They also started mopping the floor in their area while people were still eating at the sushi bar.

We'll have to just keep looking.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I've eaten dinner at Tokyo Sushi 3 times. The inside of the restaurant has a nice Japanese decor. This restaurant is a combination of a sit-down and takeout. My 3 dinners were all takeout. In 2 cases, I ordered the Teriyaki Salmon, and in the third case, I ordered the Teriyaki Chicken. All orders came with rice and miso soup. The miso soup was not very tasty. However, the Teriyaki Salmon and Teriyaki Chicken were good, and the portions were also good. My main complaint was that the food was not very warm. I suspect it was prepared in advance and just heated up. In all 3 cases, my dinners came about 5 minutes after I placed the order. Overall, I consider this an average restaurant that will satisfy your appetite.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I went here with my brother for dinner recently. He came for the sushi... I ordered a small veggie sushi roll- it was WAY nasty. I ate one and left the rest. My brother tried one too, and thought it was gross also. We both ordered gyoza (dumplings) as appetizers- mine was veggie and his was pork. I enjoyed mine quite a bit, and he said his were good.

His sushi did not look very appetizing... he ate most of it though so I guess it couldn't have been that bad. I got veggie pad thai, which was OK, not awesome at all. It was a TON of food.

They desperately need a larger tank for the koi!