“Fresh....and the crust!!”

Harry's Bishops Corner
Ranked #30 of 184 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We Nutmeg Staters are spoiled rotten. We have quite a few of the very best pizza places in the country in our state. Each one has something different going for it. This was my first visit to Harry's - won't be my last. I had one of the specials - scallops, tarragon, caramelized onions, tomatoes, and prosciutto (I asked to leave out the shrimp). You could taste each one of the ingredients distinctly, nice and fresh, and then they blended in your mouth as you chewed. I am fussy about my crust. I prefer the thinner crusts and believe they should be a strong but delicate thing that conveys the toppings to your mouth. If they taste good, all the better. If the crust doesn't taste good, I toss it out for the squirrels in the yard. This didn't get tossed. It has a good taste and it's the ideal blend of chewy and crunchy. Sorry squirrels!

1  Thank Linda L

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Its good, dont get me wrong. But, there is better pizza around. I dont get the hype. Try other places, I cant recommend this place.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Call ahead to make sure you won't wait too long.

Don't miss the mixed green salad with Harry's own dressing.

Surprisingly good low priced wine selection. Ask for a taste of the selection du jour.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

For those who don't know it yet, Hartford is an underrated pizza Mecca, with pizza that compares favorably with many larger cities. My wife and I lived in West Hartford during the 1990s, when Harry's Pizza opened in the Center, and it became our favorite by far, over our old faves, Lena's First & Last and Sisson Tavern. The crust was consistently excellent - just the right blend of crispy and chewy, from being baked on granite slabs at high temperature. Harry's is New Haven-style pizza Napoletana at its best, which differs from New York-style pizza in several ways: it is less doughy, with a thinner crust, less sauce and less cheese (mozzarella is considered a topping), and is typically baked directly on stone in a coal or wood-fired oven. The space was small, outfitted with no more than twenty or so wooden booths with granite tables. Harry's offered table service, with several beers on draft and a small but well-chosen and reasonable wine list, at a time when many pizza restaurants offered only counter service and Bud in bottles, and they understood that a pizza takes up a lot of table space, so they served the pizza on pedestals. Within a few years, Bertucci's had to offer delivery to sell a pizza in town...

Then in 2000, we followed our skiers' hearts and moved to New Hampshire, which offered a lot of great active-lifestyle options; but not pizza. The Greek-style "house of pizza" stuff is the rule, and seems to be acceptable to most locals. A few exceptions (e.g., Sal's) offer Italian "North End" or "New York" style pizza, which is okay, and acceptable to our kids' palates, but not what we craved. We were so desparate for quality pizza that we brought pies home from Connecticut visits and froze them. Thankfully, 900 Degrees (see separate review) in Manchester (NH) now exists...

Flash forward another twelve years, and we found ourselves wending our way home on I-84 at dinner time, so we took the West Hartford Center exit and planned to take the kids to Harry's. Our mouths watered as we approached the familiar Farmington Ave location... But no, it was gone! Through the magic of the internet, we learned that Harry and Barb divorced, Barb got the name and former location, and Harry opened Harry's Bishops Corner. While Luna (a brick-oven place that is still next door to the original Harry's, and very good in its own right) was deeply tempting, at this point, we were invested and headed across town (only a few miles) to Bishops Corner.

The space is underwhelming, situated in a shopping center and easy to miss. We arrived at 6:30-ish, and there was a brief wait (typical of Harry's), but the weather was pleasant, so we didn't mind waiting. Once inside, we swore it could have been the old Harry's - same tables, same booths, same menu (a few tweaks here or there), etc. Salads arrived promptly, with the phenomenal sundried tomato balsamic vinaigrette we remembered. Pizzas followed, and they were delicious - we got one white pie on wheat crust with spinach, bacon and carmellized onions, and a red pie half cheese (kids...) and half roasted peppers and locally-made Italian sausage. Just as good as we remembered. The kids were duly impressed, and loved the lemon Italian Ice that still closes the meal at Harry's Bishops Corner. We brought home a bottle of the balsamic vinaigrette, which we plan to enjoy with lettuce from our garden...

While many fans of the New Haven style swear by the originator, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, Sally's Apizza (founded by Frank Pepe's nephew, Sal), or "newcomers" like Modern Apizza (1934), which are all excellent, Harry's is my personal favorite and (in my experience) more consistent. At its new location, with a new owner, Harry's Bishops Corner is still turning out phenomenal pizza. Definitely worth a visit if you are visiting the area. If you're a local, you have no excuse... Go!

1  Thank MadSkiers
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Harry's BC pizza is a little different from other locals. The crust is a little crunchier, less doughy. The cheese is not the usual excessive mass of oily glop, it's more sparing (unless you want lots), and you really taste all of the high-quality ingredients together. So you get a crisper, tastier pie than at most other places. They also have whole wheat crust, wonderful because it has a slightly nutty flavor that is delicious and a nice change from the ordinary. Salads are huge, fresh, and full of tasty carrots, olives, red pepper, cucumbers, etc. The house dressing, sundried tomato, is absolutely fabulous. At then end, you get a free scoop of their excellent lemon sorbet -- pure heaven. They have a decent wine selection. Ambience is a bit bustling because of the restaurant design, but generally nice, with artsy lighting, granite tabletops, warm wood detailing. While the menu is limited to pizza, it's really good, upscale pizza that makes a nice meal. Kids seem to like it, too. Reasonable prices. I highly recommend Harry's BC.