“a little bit of France”

La Petite France
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Discover a taste of Europe without leaving Connecticut! La Petite France brings the French quality of life to you while engaging all your senses. From tasty homemade food to a relaxing and welcoming ambiance, come enjoy an authentic Parisian experience here in West Hartford!
“a little bit of France”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

great crepes. wonderful signature sandwiches. Beautiful bakery and great coffees and teas. They have fun specials and the atmosphere is warm, cozy and friendly.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank rosier49

West Hartford, Connecticut
“Paris is right around the corner!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Croissants, salads, baguettes, cappuccino, other assorted Parisian favorites are available at this cafe in West Hartford. It's a precious piece of Paris right in West Hartford.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Boomertraveller1948
Kensington, CT
“Petite excpet for the prices”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The only part of our experience that was not petite were the prices. We arrived on Saturday at around 12:30PM to find 2 outside tables occupied and only one inside. My immediate thought on entering was that this small restaurant/bakery was cramped because of too many tables plus it was in serious need of being bussed.

We had a SaveCtNow gift certificate good for a pair of sandwiches or salads, 2 drinks and 2 eclairs or cupcakes; a reputed value of $30 that cost $15. I found a menu on a table and we went about deciding on what to order. I ordered a French soda plus a Marseille sandwich – sundried pesto, lettuce, prosciutto and mozzarella. My wife ordered a coffee and what I believe to be a Nicoise - tuna, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. I asked the cashier if it would be okay if we chose our dessert at the end since I was not sure if we would be consuming them here or taking them home.

We had to ask for our table to be bussed since it was covered with crumbs. In the meantime, I picked up paper towels, napkins and a straw. As we waited for our sandwiches, a line began to form and most of the tables filled up. My wife received her sandwich which arrived on plate completely unadorned. The baguette was crusty and delicious, but there could not have been much more than 3 tablespoons of tuna on the sandwich, 2 slices of cucumber, a little iceberg lettuce and a few slivers of tomato.

I told my wife not to wait for me. She had finished one half of the sandwich when I noticed food being delivered to other tables. I finally got up and asked the whereabouts of my sandwich and a few minutes later it appeared, a full 10 minutes after my wife received hers. My sandwich was similarly devoid of an appreciable amount of ingredients with only 1 thin slice of prosciutto in a $7.95 sandwich.

As a side note, a woman at an adjoining table was told a glass of water would cost her a $1. Does anyone price gorging come to anyone else's mind?

We decide to take our éclairs with us, but discovered on ordering that they were all out so we chose a pair of petite chocolate cupcakes. Later in the evening, we discovered the frosting was excellent, but the cake portion was dry.

Overall the experience was beyond disappointing.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank westie2
West Hartford, Connecticut
“The Cutest Bakery!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

It is such a cute little bakery with beautiful food, but it didn't get very much buisness until it painted their walls blue. They have great croissaunt sandwiches, and even better cake!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Charlotte T
Hartford, Connecticut
“Ran out of crepes by lunchtime during advertised Crepe Weekend”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We rec'd an email advertising "crepe weekend" feb 5 & 6. Even though it was a 40 min drive, we try to support small owner run businesses so made plans to go for lunch on Saturday. Hours posted were 8 - 4, we arrived at 1pm, only to be told they were out of sweet dessert crepes! How can you run out 4 hours into crepe weekend? Crepe batter is pretty easy to make! When i told the guy at the counter that we had driven some distance in response to the emailed advertisement, he sort of shrugged and said "oh, we were busy."

We ordered the savory crepes for lunch which were fair at best, and were told crepes take 20 min. To cook crepes? The orders came at least 10 min apart; my husband was just finishing his lunch when mine arrived. While we were waiting, many others came in and were also disappointed since they had visited specifically in response to the advertisement. Also, the sandwich board sign advertising sweet and savory was left up; people didn't know they would be disappointed until they waited in line and got to the counter.

The bakery items were very good and the place has a lot of potential, but it the counter and kitchen are poorly run. Based on the response to the ad, there clearly is a demand, they just need to get a handle on the logistics.

• Visited February 2012