“The good and the bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Hartford
Sharps Chapel, Tennessee
“The good and the bad”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This trip was between Christmas and New Years. The good: Check-in was easy and friendly. The room is spacious, clean, no street noise, has microwave, fridge, in-room coffee and wifi. Walking distance to West Hartford Center with a restaurant next to the hotel and many more eateries and shops a couple of blocks away. On bus route for trips to downtown Hartford, Mark Twain House, etc. Room was unusual in that there was plenty of lighting and a comfy chair for reading. Has flat screen wall mounted TV.
The bad: Promised HBO was not functioning and could not be fixed until owner's returned from an out-of-the-country vacation in a few weeks. Hall noise from late guests checking in awoke me. Then awoke to what sounded like a man in my room and discovered it was the radio. The alarm clock radio had been set for the radio to go on at midnight. Toilet kept running (even though I adjusted it) every time it was used and still did not work well after I told the desk clerk on day 2. Floor baseboards missing and area where rug meets wall is ragged with dried plaster on the rug. I was advised upon check-in that there was a Continental breakfast and went down to lobby to find it. There was no one at desk and only coffee and a sign saying that I should take a seat until the clerk returned. There was someone walking around the driveway smoking but I thought he was a guest. He saw but ignored me. I later discovered he was the desk clerk. Although there was no in-room info or hall signs, I was later told that the breakfast was on the second floor. There were no signs there either, I just had to wander down the hallway until I found the designated room.But I really did like the room and the location and would give this hotel a second chance

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Shirlee G
West_Hartford_Inn, Manager at West Hartford Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns about our hotel to our attention. We are taking the time to address the issues you mentioned in your review. For example, we are unaware of the time and volume that a guest sets the in-room alarm clock due to privacy during their stay. However, the fear that you felt from the radio led management to suggest that housekeeping check each clock when they clean rooms. Hopefully, this will rectify the situation, so it does not happen again.

The coffee urn in the lobby is available 24/7 for guests who are on the run or simply want the convenience of ready-made coffee. Due to building design structure, the lobby does not provide enough space for a comfortable breakfast experience. We have a cozy room available for all of our guests to enjoy their morning fare, which is located up on the second floor at the other end of the hallway from the elevator. Typically upon check-in the front desk staff informs new guests of hotel policy and amenities we offer. In instances when the before mentioned are not discussed, we have signage on the front desk counter stating time (and location) of the breakfast and exercise room, check-in, and check-out. In light of your comments, however, management is looking into order placement for better signage throughout the hotel and rooms. Please note that we have recently made some staff changes. All returning guests should start to see some vast improvements over the next few months.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused during your stay at the West Hartford Inn. We are happy you had a few positive experiences with our friendly staff, and with the convenience of our location. We look forward to the opportunity to make your next visit a better encounter.

Respectfully yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed so that we could visit the homes of Samuel Clemens and Harriet Beecher Stowe. The location was good; the bed was comfortable. Although there was an attached club, we never heard a peep of their loud music.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear you chose our hotel due to convenience of our hotel near to two iconic landmarks. We look forward to your return visit, so you can enjoy upcoming improvements to our hotel.

Regards,
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to festivities for a recent family wedding. Given a choice, I would not stay here again.

We were greeted with signs about the hotel's renovation, but had no idea we would be staying in a room that WAS in the throes of being renovated. Baseboards were non-existent, the rug was coming up, a towel rack was literally falling out of the wall, the air-conditioning system did not work except on 'high' and then not for very long (this would prove to be very bad), and the fan/overhead light system in the bathroom did not work at all. The blankets had holes in them.

The hotel was difficult to find, as the sign is small and nearly obscured by other business signs and entered via a tiny driveway. Furthermore, the exercise room is not locked and no towels are available to wipe down equipment. Rooms were very slow to be cleaned, so that ours didn't get cleaned at all, by the time we returned mid-afternoon.

All of that might have been overlooked except for the proximity of this hotel to the Shish Club. Not only did we have to walk through clouds of smoke from smokers outside the club in order to reach the door but we were awakened both nights of our stay by partiers exiting the club at 2 AM. These people were not just talking, they were yelling, fighting, and screaming and such noise went on for at least an hour. Forewarned after the first night, we tried to damp the noise the second night via the air-conditioning system but it turned itself off, even on the 'high' setting before 2:00 AM. Unfortunately there were no other rooms on the other side of the hotel.

We mentioned all this to the clerk who did not bother to discount anything but did mention that they never put people in a particular room (202 - not ours) due to the bass music club noise that penetrates through the walls. Why would they even ever USE that room is beyond me!

The only good thing about this hotel were the comfortable beds, the proximity to Town and Blueback Squares, and the free wireless.

Room Tip: Hmmmm. If you have to stay here, I would not choose a weekend. And ask for a room on non-club (not...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns about our hotel to our attention. Management understands that the partial upgrades had caused a bit of disorder in some of our rooms. We are doing our best to increase the attractiveness and functionality to better suit the needs of our guests. With recent staff changes, and completed upgrades to the 3rd and 4th floors, we have been able to do so in a timelier manner. We hope you will revisit our hotel, so you can see our commitment to providing a comfortable experience to all of our guests.

Respectfully yours,

Travelers are raving about these West Hartford hotels

Brodnax, VA
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Comfortable, charming inn. Would go back in a second! Steven made our stay comfortable, as well as the desk attendant. We stayed in the suite, #207, I believe, and it was just wonderful. Spacious room with GE Profile appliances: microwave and toaster oven. There was also a coffee maker. The room was EXTRA clean, had a king size bed, nice linens, great furnishings. Good breakfast with cereals, milk, juices and Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. Very "homey" atmosphere. Great off-street parking. Can't complain.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before you book. They are more likely to give you a room that is nicer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the West Hartford Inn. The staff was friendly, the rooms were very comfortable and it was the perfect location for shopping in the area. I especially liked the breakfast in the morning, it made it easy to eat and go. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was in West Hartford for a family event and stayed at the Inn. its location is very convenient. Inn is a clean place with lot's of freebies, including workout facilities, internet, HBO, breakfast, phone and covered parking garage. very recommended. very considering staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was visiting the area so I decided to stay there.When I checked the staff was very friendly .when I got to my room it was cleansed that was a great relief.I had read some reviews which weren't so positive....I was a bit skeptical when I was booking the room but I decided to go ahead because it served my purpose.I was glad the room was clean.The breakfast next morning was decent.The front desk staff was very helpful they even printed some directions for me...overall I would recommend staying at The West Hartford Inn if u are visiting the area!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
Best Western Hartford Hotel & Suites
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Residence Inn Hartford Downtown

Been to West Hartford Inn? Share your experiences!