All reviews kilimanjaro airport pizza oven small river one night farm house long flight open kitchen rose petals vervet monkeys first night great introduction the cottages jet lag mosquito netting fire pit arusha national park bird life
Reviewed July 19, 2015

We arrived in the middle of the night after 20 hours of traveling with our two teenagers. We were quickly taken to our spacious two bedroom River House and settled in for a peaceful rest to the sounds of the river. Overslept past the scheduled breakfast but the friendly staff was happy to serve us anyway. Loved relaxing there for the full day, watching the monkeys, hanging out on our back deck and walking around the property. Perfect start to our trip.

Room tip: River House was quite large. Each of two bedrooms had a queen size bed and a twin bed with mosquito netting.
Date of stay: July 2015
1  Thank Allison D
Reviewed July 17, 2015

Rivertrees' location about 30 minutes from Kilimanjaro Airport was a positive considering our long flight from the US. We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by a warm and friendly staff who handled our registration in a prompt but relaxed manner. A small glass of hibiscus juice was a nice touch. My niece described her mosquito net-draped bed as a "princess bed." Our room was a triple with a sitting area near the fireplace and a large window facing the grounds; however, the lush foliage provided privacy for the room. The bathroom was large with a soaking tub, a shower stall, and a double sink vanity. Our shower was not draining but this was quickly repaired after I reported it to the front desk. The grounds were quiet, except for the monkeys making noise in the trees, which allowed us to sleep for 14 consecutive hours after our flight from the US. The grounds were lush and have plenty of walking paths for exploring. The reception area with its comfortable chairs and fireplace (no fire needed) was inviting and a great place to read or just let your mind relax. The eating area/restaurant was both undercover and open-air, so you had a choice of where to sit. Breakfast and dinner inside and lunch outside seemed to be the choice for most guests. The menu was Westernized, offering burgers, pizza, pasta, chicken, and pork. The pizzas cooked in the outdoor pizza over were delicious. The breakfast buffet offered fruit, breads/muffins, cereal, and wonderful made-to-order omelets. The bar offered a number of Tanzanian beers which were fun and very good to drink. One decorative touch that I loved was the vases of roses everywhere - three arrangements in my room, including the bathroom, one on every table in the dining area, on tables at the pool, in the reception area. And the roses were some of the loveliest I have seen. There was a small shop which offered a number of locally-made crafts. The staff was pleasant, professional and very accommodating in meeting our requests. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rivertrees and would recommend it to anyone wanting comfortable lodging near the airport.

Date of stay: June 2015
Reviewed July 13, 2015

I arrived at Kilimanjaro airport at 2:30 a.m. I was exhausted after 4 flights and 30 hours of travel from the U.S. My driver quickly delivered me to River Trees Lodge. In the middle of the night it seemed very imposing with gates that appeared to be at least 20 feet high. After a quick check-in process I was escorted to my private cabin. I was so pleasantly surprised by the size of the accommodation. A large bedroom/sitting room with beautiful furnishings and a very lovely bathroom with all of the best amenities.
This was my first night in Africa so I was awake for a long time taking in the sounds of the animals, which seemed to be all around me. It was wonderful.
After a good rest I enjoyed a beautiful breakfast meal on the veranda and was then whooshed away by my safari guide for the first of 12 amazing days and nights in Tanzania and Kenya.
I didn't spend much time here but it was a beautiful place and the service was impeccable.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Deb H
Reviewed July 13, 2015

I can't believe it has taken so long to write this review...2 1/2 years ago my sister and I took a safari in Tanzania and this Inn was one of the highlights of our trip!

The owner greeted us and gave us a tour of the beautiful property. I loved how thoughtful he was...an example of this was when we checked in, he made sure we spotted the GIANT owl that was perched on a high tree branch. He didn't want us to miss such a beautiful creature.The owner went ABOVE and BEYOND his call of duty by helping us when we had problems with our very shady tour guide (Baboon Safari- the owner is Musa...stay away from this dude). The Inn owner helped make phone calls for us and negotiate with the tour owner. He was such a gentleman. His Inn is GORGEOUS and the food was OUTSTANDING. It's so very peaceful...i even got a wonderful massage too!

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2015

Only spent one night at Rivertrees before embarking on safari - arrived in evening - staff was warm & helpful. Our room was lovely. Next morning, we realized how beautiful the site was. Good food. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room tip: I think any accommodation would be lovely
Date of stay: July 2015