Rivertrees Country Inn
Impala Hotel(Arusha)
$115
$160
Orbitz.com
All reviewskilimanjaro airportsmall riverpizza ovenfarm houseone nightrose petalsoutdoor showeropen kitchenlong flightthomson safarisvervet monkeysgreat introductionjet lagarusha national parkfirst nightmosquito nettingpeaceful setting
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed at Rivertrees before starting a safari in Tanzania. I decided to treat myself before meeting my brother at another Arusha hotel at the start of our safari. Best decision made for this trip. I was warmly welcomed by staff and management. My (basic) room was very large, clean, and inviting. It was like something out of a magazine. The food was incredibly good and plentiful--in fact, I eventually asked for less food since I couldn't finish it and felt terrible about leaving it, especially since so many people in Africa have so little. This request was immediately honored. The staff were the friendliest I encountered in Tanzania and my food server Joel was a gem, both professional and interesting. The other servers were just as friendly but I didn't talk to them as much as Joel.

Traveling alone at that point I particularly appreciated Rivertrees' ability to engage in conversation when initiated or leave me alone if that was my preference at the time. The management, particularly David and Kimberly, went out of their way to make sure I had what I needed. There seemed to be a lot of communication between management and staff, which probably accounted for the excellent service.

The grounds at Rivertrees are beautiful. There are a lot of trees and plants, etc. and I saw my first vervet monkeys at Rivertrees, which was a real treat. All in all, this was my favorite "hotel" in Tanzania. After I stayed at Rivertrees I stayed at hotels that had "more" of some things, but they lacked the intimacy of Rivertrees as well as the personal attention, cleanliness, and service. The Arusha hotel I moved to the day I left Rivertrees was disappointing, so giving myself two nights at Rivertrees after landing at Kilimanjaro allowed me to feel rested at least at the start of my trip. The location was great because it's between the airport and Arusha. I used Rivertrees' airport pick-up service which was great.

If you land at Kili and want someplace that's nice, clean, relaxing, and ready to help you, you won't be disappointed at Rivertrees.

Room Tip: I had a garden room--you can ask for a river cottage, which is more.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank travelerinchicago
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We decided to stay at Rivertrees during our honeymoon. We loved this comfortable, relaxed, garden oasis resort. The food, wine, service and ambience were excellent however we were a little surprised that it was so far away from Arusha airport (1 hour) and that our transfer fee turned out to be so much when we were initally told it would be a third less.

I wouldn't hesitate in returning if we had more than 1 nights stay & would sign up for both the cooking course & canoe trip.

Thank you especially to Good Luck who was very sweet and considerate, he was always so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

After climbing Mt. Meru, we spent 3 days in this exceptional place. It's the setting with the own vegetable garden, the very nice staff, the quietness, the large trees, the open kitchen area, the comfortable but not over luxury rooms which make this place special. The quality of sleep is great (though one can hear the road in the far distance). The food is very good, the selection of wines sufficient. Sitting in front of the rooms in the evening beneath on of the large trees and listening to the birds is an exceptional experience. The staff and management are very helpful and arrange daytrips on very short notice.
Only the coffee is poor but management promised to buy a proper machine soon.

Room Tip: use the standard room, they are just great
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavidHasselhofFan
Reviewed May 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Rivertrees at the end of our Tanzania safari, we found the tranquility and beautiful setting a wonderfully reviving tonic. The accomodation was 'old Dutch style' single storey very characterful and exceedingly comfortable, all immaculately clean with every possible need catered for in our suite. The restaurant is wonderfull set with extensive views of the mature and beautiful gardens, the food was of a very high standard and service impeccable. From the moment we arrived we were pampered, the couple who manage the hotel personally greeted us and we were given their personal attention to ensure our stay was perfect.
We can recommend this beautiful place too anyone seeking top class service and comfortable accomodation amid peaceful seclusion.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SJA46
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We used this hotel at the beginning and the end of a 7 day Mt Kilimanjaro ascent via the Machame route ie. two nights. The hotel is well outside of Arusha and so not really suitable if you want to see the city sights or go out at night. However for R&R it is excellent with large well tended grounds with mature trees and a stream and it is set well away from the main road so no noise and you feel you are miles from anywhere. There is a nice airy dining area and bar, with very reasonable prices. Dinner is a fixed course menu but lighter menu options are available for lunch or anytime. The hotel is privately owned and service and attention reflects this. Staff are very friendy and helpful, but can be a bit shy. Accommodation is in separate thatched bungalows and has separate patio areas for relaxing and privacy. Both nights, we had tastefully furnished rooms with all usual facilities incl. plenty of hot water and firm comfortable beds and mosquito nets. Unable to think of anything that needed improving and reasonable room rate.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple