“Tired travelers got good food and a real welcome”

Filomena's Market Cafe & Ctrng
Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“Tired travelers got good food and a real welcome”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our motel clerk recommended this restaurant, and we were very pleased. We were tired from our day's drive and appreciated the very genuine and natural welcome we received from the person at the front door (who also turned out to be our waitress). We both had salads as an appetizer. They were large, fresh, delicious and served as we had ordered. Both of us had baked scrod, which was also excellent, with fresh herbs. Anisette cookies for dessert -- very nicely done -- one order gives you four very rich cookies, we took two of them with us.

The service was friendly, prompt and not intrusive. The restaurant's decor is plain but not in any way shabby. The other patrons seemed to be having a good time. We liked the way the proprietor took care to escort a frail elderly woman (who was part of a family group) to her seat. There appeared to be many regulars eating there, people known to the wait staff. While they treated the regulars very well, they also treated us, completely strangers, with the same attention and care. The people who run and work at this restaurant clearly understand that they are part of the Hospitality Industry. I would head straight for this restaurant any time we are stopping in the Waterford area.

• Visited July 2012

Connecticut
“Meh!”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My two girlfriends and I had dinner at Filomena's last week to celebrate a birthday. One of my friends had eaten there recently and really enjoyed it, so the other two of us agreed to give it a try. The decor is very "strip mall," but I've had some excellent meals at nondescript places, so that wasn't a major issue. What was an issue was the fact that our waitress, although very pleasant, had no clue as to what was on the menu. When asked about chicken Parmesan, she declared that the restaurant didn't serve it. (What, then, is Bill's Classic Chicken Parm?)

Two of us had salads. My friend had the Caeasar and I had the Craisin Mesclun salad with dried cranberries, pistachios, and goat cheese. The salads were excellent, and I wish I had stopped there. Although the birthday girl really enjoyed her scallops and the return customer said the gnocchi (same as on her previous visit) was good, my rigatoni with garlic, squash, pine nuts, and broccoli was tasteless. I brought most of it home, and even doctored it was inedible.

Since it was one girlfriend's birthday, we opted for dessert. We were told at the beginning that the restaurant was out of one of the cakes . . . no problem until our waitress came back three times to tell us that what we had ordered was unavailable. We finally asked her to tell us what WAS available, which was basically one order of creme brulee, cheesecake, and tiramisu. We chose to pass.

Filomena's isn't a bad restaurant, and it might be fine for happy hour or lunch, but there are better options in the area. At the prices they charge for meals and a glass of wine, Filomena's simply isn't a good value.

• Visited May 2012
Waterford, Connecticut
“Nice bar”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Recently stopped in for a few drinks with the girlfriends. Waitstaff was attentive. It doesn't have much of an atmosphere. $9 for a Martini seems a little pricey considering this is Waterford, not New York and it is located in a strip mall.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Sunsnowfamily
St. Barthelemy
“Favorite new restaurant on the shoreline!”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Second time to this tucked away restaurant- 5 stars! Service and food were outstanding and there were plenty of choices for anyone looking for a sandwich, salad or dinner plate. Portions are large so come hungry. Prices are reasonable and the wine choices are good. Suggest reservations on the weekend. Owner/Manager was very attentive and interested in pleasing the customer. Plan to return again sometime soon.

• Visited April 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place,great food,great drinks!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I went there for lunch with the guys and girls from work on our lunch break about 15 min. From our place about 8 of us. We choose to sit at the bar watch alittle sports center and we are happy we did. Our bartender was a gentleman named rob it was a tues. Around 2 we had drinks and our specials with in the first 3 min. All had water didn't even have to ask. We all placed our order and had our food very fast water never went empty niether did are drinks lol food was good, there lunch is very very good comes out fast and hot cooked to perfection. We have gone back several times for lunch and every time we sit at the bar with rob he really knows how to make a drink let's you and your friends talk without bothering you and keeps the place clean. I would recommend going to filomenas to anyone but would tell them to sit at the bar . I only been there twice for dinner made a mistake sitting in dinning room and we went back for a romantic night out with my wife sat in the lounge area in the bar had rob it was a Sunday night candle on the table service was 5 stars and the food was great will go for lunch many more times . And take my wife Sunday nights . You can't beat this place resonable priced nice wine selection that rob can help you with and good food .