“Average for Marriott”

SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent a night at the SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford while in town for a wedding. It's an "ok" place; nothing fancy. The hotel is right off I-95; although you have to circle around and double back to get to it when arriving from I-95 Northbound. So be prepared. The room was clean and bed was standard "Marriott" comfortable. Plenty of room for a couple. Not much in the area (the only restaurant was a Chili's Bar & Grill). But if you just need a decent place to sleep for the night, it's fine.

A couple of "glitches" during our stay:

1) One of our preferences is for extra towels, which I selected when I made the online reservation. There were no extras when we arrived, so I called the front desk to have some brought up. 20 min later, still no towels. I called again and the woman acknowledged that she didn't jot down our room number so couldn't tell housekeeping where to deliver the towels. They arrived 5 min later.

2) At some point while we were out, the AC stopped working. It was a little muggy in our room when we returned from the wedding. @11:45 pm we called the front desk and a gentleman said he would look into it and that he would call back in 10-15 min. We never heard anything. We called him twice and got no answer. Although, the room was stuffy, we eventually fell asleep. Good thing the seasons are changing and the nights aren't hot and humd! The next morning we mentioned the incident to John Grocki, Front Office Mgr. He admitted that the AC would sometimes turn off and apologized that the night manager did not know how to get it back up and running for us. He was very nice and gave us a credit on our stay, which we greatly appreciated. So thanks to John!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family and I stayed here last Saturday night during our visit to Mystic. The hotel is about 8 miles from Mystic and was very convenient. While the hotel is right off I-95, it is pushed back from the access road so it was very quiet with no highway noise at all. The hotel is very basic. Although I am a Marriotts Rewards member, I have never stayed at a SpringHill Suites. The rooms were much smaller than I have encountered at the Residence Inns where I have previously stayed. The room was not a true suite. Rather it was one big room - separated by a piece of furniture with a tv on it and a partial wall. The tv in the bedroom was about 10 feet from the tv in the sitting room. The bathroom was also quite small and the sink area which was outside the bathroom was very small. We had to ask for more towels and more soap and shampoo as the supplies given were enough for one person, not a family of 4. The amenities were definitely very skimpy and not what one would get at a regular Marriott hotel. This room was also odd as it did not have a closet. There was a rail with hangers on one of the walls. It was not closed off by a door. This design was a bit odd. The beds were very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. The room was equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, and bar sink. Very convenient and well-functioning. We were on the third floor. Despite being next to the ice machine and across from the elevator, the room was very quiet. We did not hear any noise.
The desk staff was very welcoming and the general manager was on duty when we arrived. We arrived very early and our room was not ready yet. We were assured our room would be waiting for us when we returned from Mystic later on in the day as we did not want to wait around for a room. The manager Jeffrey was extremely accomodating and said he could rush a room to be cleaned, but we wanted to get on our way to Mystic and said we would come back later in day.
The hotel lobby appeared clean and smelled fresh. The hotel has an indoor pool and whirlpool. We did not use either, but there was no smell of chlorine in the hotel. That made me very happy as I hate the smell of chlorine and some hotels can really smell from it when they have an indoor pool near the rooms and lobby.
The breakfast area was very small and the breakfast itself was not very good. The hotel was full on Saturday night so the breakfast was very busy on Sunday morning. When we came down to breakfast at about 8:30 or so, all the food was gone and there was little food left. We had to wait about 10 minutes for the cook to bring out more food. After we got our food, the cook must have come out 3 or 4 times to refill the eggs and cereal. She then had help in refilling the milk, muffins and waffle batter. While the cook was definitely trying, the food was being taken as fast as she could put it out. I am not big on breakfast that is precooked so I had cereal and called it quits. The eggs were standard frozen fare. However, there was fresh fruit and yogurt as opposed to canned fruit which some hotels use. I was not a huge fan of the breakfast, but most people seemed satisfied, including my husband.
I would definitely stay here again as the hotel and rooms were very clean and the service was very good.

2  Thank Parenttravel46
whgecomm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Parenttravel46:
Thank you for choosing our SpringHill Suites by Marriott to stay at while you and your family visited Mystic. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your experience while staying with us and providing us your feedback. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with our accommodations.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here briefly, to visit the Coast Guard Academy. Due to horrible traffic, we didn't arrive until 3 am. The night clerk was super-nice, and gave us directions so we could subvert the Garmin and get home more quickly - and his directions worked perfectly!
The beds were SO Marriott comfortable; the bathroom was a bit dated but spotlessly clean with new towels; and the rest of the room was perfectly nice. We didn't try the breakfast, because we got in so late, but the room where they served it was spacious and comfortable.
This hotel is great for visiting the USCGA or New London, at a reasonable price.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just returned from a 2 week road trip in New England where we stayed at various Marriott and Hilton hotels along the way. Was disappointed with this property - it certainly did not seem "new" as other reviews suggested. Queen beds are more like double beds. Only one washer and dryer in the laundry room. Even though this was one of the cheaper hotels we stayed at, I would say we got better value for money at other hotels with the same star rating. Therefore, I would not stay at this property again.

1  Thank ctpToronto
whgecomm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear ctpToronto:
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to learn you were not satisfied with our accommodations and services. Our 80-room hotel was built in 1998 and was renovated in 2005. Currently, we are doing some refresh and maintenance work on the exterior of the building. This coming December we will begin another refresh in the Lobby and all of the first floor guestrooms. Once that is completed we will continue on with the second and third floors. All renovations and refurbishments should be completed by March of 2013. We are committed to providing not only exceptional customer service but excellent accommodations. If you are ever back in our area, I do hope you will visit and give us another try.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a very good experience. The hotel is centrally located, was very clean and the breakfast was phenomenal and it varied daily. The staff was eager to please and very accomodating when extra towels and soaps were needed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kym72
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Travelling from Albany NY to Waterford CT we had car trouble and only just managed to nurse the car back home. So we called the hotel and cancelled our reservation - at 6:40pm and as a coutesy they waived the usual fee. But less than 2 hours later we had a replacment car and called ahead asking if we could still have a room. The staff we dealt with on the front desk were polite and professional in all of this. We eventully arrived and checked in at 11:30pm - very tired and a little stressed.
The room was huge with 2 doubles, a mini kithchen and off set sitting area. 2 TVs. We had a little trouble with the digital key but it was reset and it worked. This was my first stay at a Springhill Suite and I was pleasantly surprised. Really close to the Ferry if you want to go to Orient on Long Island - which we did.
Breakfast had the standard range of hot and cold items.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
whgecomm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Noel S:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and let us know about your recent visit with us! I'm sorry to hear about your car problems, but so happy to read you made it to the hotel! I will be sure to share your comments with our Hotel Team, as they enjoy hearing feedback from our guests! Our Team of Associates is our biggest asset! Hope you had a great time in Orient Point; and please come back to visit if you are in our area again!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I were unable to get on any of the remaining Cross Sound Ferries from New London to Orient Point earlier this week, so we needed to find a place to stay, convenient enough to the ferry terminal so we could get on the first ferry the following day at 7:00 a.m. The hotel "up the hill" was completely booked, and luckily so because we found the SpringHill Suites by Marriott. It's just 10 minute drive to the ferry dock, a little north of Route 95 on a quiet street behind a mall. The woman behind the desk couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. She gave us a room, working to find us the best deal from AAA and/or AARP. She also provided us a list of restaurants in the area, but none of them were close enough for our tired bones, so she suggested ordering in Italian or Chinese food - that worked for us.

The room was a very comfortable suite with a kitchen area with a micro-wave and a fridge; a living room area with a couch, desk and flat screen TV; a bedroom with a very comfortable king size bed covered in the most incredibly smooth sheets I've ever slept in; a dressing area with a full length mirror and a sink; and a bathroom with a tub/shower and "the usual". We were thrilled that we were able to view the photographs we'd taken that day on the television which my husband could see from the living room and I could see from the bed. We left before breakfast was completely out so we can't make any comment on the food here, although we'd seriously recommend ordering Italian and avoiding the Chinese take-out.

This was convenient, clean and comfortable and we'd stay here again any time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to SpringHill Suites Mystic Waterford? Share your experiences!